“Truly Paradise”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
new york
“Truly Paradise”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This was our second trip to Anguilla but our first time at Cap Juluca. Last year we stayed at Cuisinart and loved the resort but the wind was a problem for us. The beach was rough and we had to move around to other beaches. This is how we discovered Maunday's Bay and CJ. After reading some posts on TA about the rooms we were a little concerned but kept on picturing ourselves on that beautiful beach! While a lot of people minimize the importance of a nice room, to us it is important as it is part of your whole experience while on vacation (that's why you choose to stay at a 5 star resort.)

The rooms at CJ were great! Yes, they are "dated" but that did not take away from the magical experience that we were looking for and that everyone here talks about. The way the villas are set up, the setting and the service that they provide exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a second floor luxury room, villa 4 . Every morning, while the hubby slept in, I would sit outside just absorbing the tranquility. As in other posts, they bring your continental breakfast and set it up for you on your balcony. The bathrooms are spacious with double sinks and a separate shower. The showers do have doors (I'm mentioning this because this seemed to be a problem in another post) but the doors do not close completely which causes water to escape while showering. This was a problem for us as well at the beginning. The bathroom got flooded and we called the front desk. They sent the villa manager immediately but there was really nothing they could do so we improvised... just took a towel and fit it snuggly where the door closes. This solved the problem. They are going to remodel all the rooms eventually. This was a minor problem for us.

We stayed for 10 days and spent most days relaxing during the day on beautiful Maunday's bay. We went kayaking a couple of times and walked the beach every day. The beach service was impeccable. Our towels were set up on the comfortable loungers each day and they would come around to give you cold towels, frozen fruit on a stick, sorbet and cookies. You can order lunch and they bring it to you right on the beach. Every afternoon at 4:00 there was afternoon tea at Maunday's club under the dome. There they had sandwiches, sconces and cookies. Again, IMO it was a great touch. It's all about the DETAILS and at CJ they are very attentive to details!

We ate lunch at Blue almost everyday except for 2 days when we went to Dune Preserves. The lunches are not bad at all. We ate at Spice on our first night. Food was okay but the atmosphere was great. We ate dinner outside of the resort. We went to Straw Hat which was good not great, Mango's was great, cuisinart lobster buffet better last year, Koal Keel - great, Smokey's - excellent, Un Amore for pizza - good for a casual dinner, Luna Rosa - okay not great. We like Caprice last year better. Abi from Caprice was at Luna Rosa this year and remembered us!!! Our dining experience was good overall. The restaurants were all basically empty. At most, there was 4 tables and us at every restaurant. Speaking to the waiters and staff at CJ they told us that the whole island is quiet - not a lot of tourists. They said that CJ was the only resort that had the most guests.

We went to Shoal Bay East one day and it was very quiet, hardly any people! We had the whole beach to ourselves! We had a great time and would recommend CJ to my dearest friends! We will definately be back next year!!!

2 Thank NewYorkGolden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
chattanooga, tn
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Let me begin by saying, I absolutely LOVE the island of Anguilla and will most definitely return. My husband and I have just returned from our 5th trip there, with the first trip beginning in 2002. We have taken several of our friends there as well to show them what a beautiful and friendly island this is. The people of Anguilla are very much their greatest natural resource - and the beaches aren't bad either! They are absolutely fabulous! When we first visited Angulla in 2002 we stayed at Cap Juluca and then for the next 3 trips we stayed at Cuisnart. This trip we decided to go back and try Cap Juluca again.

Problem 1
Our problems began from day 1, but since we were meeting friends from Baltimore, we decided to overlook a few things and just make the best of it. We had asked for rooms in the same Villa or a Villa next door to each other. Our friends were placed in Villa 6 and we were placed in Villa 7. Although they sound next door to each other, these two Villa's have the most inconvenient setup than any others. In between them is Blu (the restaurant). That being said, it was as if we were placed 3 or 4 villas apart.

Problem 2
Immediately upon walking into our Villa, we knew, there has NOT been ANY renovations within the Villa's themselves, except with the addition of "300 count frette linens", the room looked EXACTLY as it did when we stayed there in 2002, 7 years ago. The room is not hideous by no means, but there are a few things that really, really need to be updated, thus the reason we stayed at Cusinart the last 3 times. To begin with, your room has shuttered doors and windows, which you can crank open, but if you do this, the air in your room goes right out the windows, since these are only screened and not glass. Don't let anyone tell you that you get such a nice breeze you don't need air conditioning. Also, the bathrooms, though quite spacious are a misquito haven!! There is a wall of glass around the tub and shower which leads to a small secluded area for sunbathing. The glass door from your shower opens to this. Along the top of this door and down the side there is about 1/2 inch opening all the way around. Needless to say, your bathroom is always humid and misquito infested, thus the reason for the bug zappers you will find on your safe for your use. We had to keep the door from the bathroom closed and the air really cold so the mosquitos would stay out of the bedroom.

Problem 3
Turndown service and twice daily maid services was inconsisent at best. Sometimes we would get 1 bath towel and 3 face cloths and no handtowels. Othertimes, quite the opposite. We were continually having to request additonal towels and face cloths. They provide you with very nice Bulgari bath products, but if you use them and run out, you must ask for more, apparently they are not replaced automatically.

Problem 4
The fixtures in the bathroom have obiviously seen alot of use and you can spot this by looking at the drainage area of the sinks and tub where it has been caulked and recaulked. That's okay, I can live with that. But when my toilet begins to spew water we have a problem. My husband lifted the lid (OMG, I wish he handn't) and it was totally brown inside. The tubing of some sort came lose and he connected it back. We didn't have time to call maintenance, otherwise our room would have been flooded.

Problem 5
The closet doors are very heavy and louvered. They came off the tracks one night as we were getting ready to leave for dinner. Of course, our clothes, shoes, etc, were in the closet. We could not get them to budge. There was enough room for my husband to get on his knees and put his arm through the opening to pull shoes out until he found the ones I wanted. We called the front desk at 7:30p to report this problem and were told they would send someone right down. We returned from dinner around 11p and the doors were still not fixed. We called back at this time and they in informed us maintenance had left, but they would send the security guard. He came took a look and could budge the doors either. He informed us someone would be down first thing the next morning to repair them. Finally, at 11a the next morning, I went to the reception desk in person and advised them this was my 3rd request to get my doors fixed so I could access my clothing, etc. Finally, after lunch they were repaired.

Problem 6
This is the problem that caused both us and our friends the most time and frustration. On Thursday after being there for 5 days, we headed to the beach around 10a and spotted 4 chairs with no towels. We began to put our things down and a beach attendant showed up with the towels for our chairs. As soon as she proceeded to do this, a seond attendant, Corrine, appoached her yelling saying she couldn't do that because these chairs were "reserved". The 1st beach attendant had no knowledge of this. When we asked Corrine about this, saying we had never heard of a reservation policy on chairs, she was very rude and walked off while we were trying to talk to her. The 1st attendant moved us to 4 other chairs and we called for a Beach Supervisor, Everett. He came down and explained that chairs can be reserved for your stay. First I had heard about it since it is not told to you upon checkin nor is it in the information book in your room. At this point we infomed Everett that was fine, to please reserve the four chairs we were in through Sunday. He informed Corrine and we assumed that was that. Oh, and by the way, you don't even have to come to the beach to keep your chairs reserved. The people that had reserved the ones beside us did not even show until 1:15 and then left at 3:00, but keep in mind - NO ONE COULD USE THESE CHAIRS. I felt like I was 20 years old again on spring break in Daytona Beach!!! We did ask Everett to at least inform guestson arrival of such a policy, since we had been there 5 days and this was the first we had heard about it.

Problem 7
On Sunday, our friends left to return home. Around 9a we headed to the beach to complete our last day. When we arrived at the chairs we had RESERVED PER EVERETT, there were towels on them and various personal items around. Someone had our chairs??? We informed the beach attendant who asked us if would would take the chairs over a bit and I informed her that no, I had reserved these and I wanted the personal items removed and reset for us. Corrine, the second beach attendant we had problems with on Thursday came down and proceeded to be rude again and walked off mubbled something while we were talking to her. My husband called for a beach supervisor. The beach supervisor didn't have time to see us because he was leaving for a boating outing. He said he would send the watersports supervisor, Barbara. We waited around until 12:00 but never saw Barbara. Oh yes, the people who had our chairs returned and wondered where their things were. They saw the beach attendants seting them up on down the beach. We don't know what was said, but the beach attendant pointed to us. As soon as she left, the gentleman approached me and my husband and asked if we had his things removed. We replied that we did, that these chairs were reserved. He had not heard of this policy either, so here we are explaining to an irate customer Cap Juluca's policy. Totally unacceptable. After this, we went to the front desk to speak with a manager or assistant manager and were told the manager was off the island and the assistant manager was off. I insisted they call someone. Finally after sitting there for about 1 hour a night manager named Gio showed up. He seemed to be very understanding and could not beleive what had happended. He had never heard of a reservacation policy on beach chairs. Go figure. By the time he had completed talking with us, I explained to him, that two days of my vacation had been ruined because of this so called reservation policy, that's not actually a policy and I wanted 2 nights removed from my bill. He asked if we would accept dinner on him and he would check on accomodating my request and get back with me. We were due to check out the following morning and we had never heard from him. Upon checkout I asked if he was in and he reluctantly came out of hiding and when I asked him point blank about my request was told no, that could not be done, but he would give us two free nights on our next visit. WHAT NEXT VISIT??? I told him to keep them. I will not be returning to Cap Juluca any time in the future and will advise my friends not to either.

I'm sure in it's heyday, Cap Juluca was a very fine establishment and had quite a reputation for it's exclusivness. Now, since it is under new ownership, it's becoming your common run of the mill resort. There is nothing special about the resort itself. The beach of course is magnicificent, but you can find that at Cusinart - and without the hassle of the so called chair reservation policy!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank Whiskers60
KmsKms
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I am not one to write a review but after staying at Cap Juluca I feel that I have to... I researched so many places and I am soooo happy with my decision!! It truely was paradise! We flew into St.Maarten and took a ferry from Marigot to Anguilla. Everything about Cap Juluca is beautiful, especially the crystal clear water! The chairs on the beach are soo comfy too!! Service is absolutely amazing from turndown service to cool towels on the beach! Watersports are included...waterskiing, kayaking, sailing, and more! We went on a boat trip where we enjoyed rum punch and snorkling!! Ahhh!! It was so fun!! I could go on forever about Cap Juluca!! One thing that we weren't too crazy about was the food. It wasn't horrible but the food off the resort was sooo much better. We recommend going to Mango's & Straw Hat for dinner and going to Smokey's for lunch ( you can walk there from Cap Juluca)!! I can't wait to go back!!

2 Thank KmsKms
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I am an avid traveler, and an avid reader of Trip Advisor reviews. We ALWAYS take reviews here into consideration, although we don't pay much attention to rankings - because different folks have different priorities (a la cost). I wanted to share our experience with Cap Juluca this past week.

Our expectations were based on reviews we had read here, so we expected good service, great beach, mediocre rooms, and expensive meals.

Service:
The service far surpassed our expectations. Every staff member was friendly, proactive, and helpful. The wait staff was very social and would take care of any request - regardless of how challenging it may be. The beach staff is superb. We have stayed at resorts with a beach staff before, but you cannot compare to the beach staff at Cap Juluca. As soon as you walk out on the beach, they come to you with fresh towels. You do not need to go get them. They arrange your chairs for you under umbrellas (which are both brand new, and very nice) - provide you a personal cooler with iced cold bottled water, and you are set. Each umbrella has a flag you can pull down if you need anything. They promptly come to your umbrella and take care of any request - a cocktail - a lunch menu, etc. At different intervals during the day, they bring you goodies - such as sorbet, cookies, fresh fruit, etc. They simply spoil you - but they are friendly. They actually introduce themselves, get to know you, and actually act like they want to be their serving you.

Beach:
The beach itself is the prettiest beach we have been on. I'm told it was recently rehabilitated after the hurricane last year. We've seen many white sandy beaches with perfect blue water (Trunk Bay, Macaroni Beach, etc) - but this has been our favorite. It's much longer than the photos online make it out to be. The entry to the water is not rocky - it is very soft, and there is very little coral or rock in the water to create dark spots. It's gorgeous turquoise water with just a little bit of wave action on one side where the wind comes in. There is a reason Paris Hilton enjoyed her recent stay, along with other celebs such as Janet Jackson, Glenn Close, etc. The beach is deep enough and wide enough, where you don't have to be within 20 feet of the next person. Very private. There is a great water sports station with all of the latest and greatest equipment. You simply walk right up, ask to ski, and they paddle out and bring the ski boat in. Hobie catamarans, kayaks, skis, kneeboards, etc. It's all there - and it's very classy. There is no cheesiness about it.

Rooms:
After reading review after review saying the rooms desperately needed to be renovated and were completely dated, we were expecting something pretty rough. We were pleasantly surprised. I recommend not buying into the negativity about the rooms. Sure, the tile "looks dated" from the standpoint that the style isn't as modern or contemporary. But it is plenty clean, and is very up-scale. If you've stayed at other nice private villa resorts in the Carribbean, this is on par or better. Places like Young Island, La Samanna, Ladera, etc... they all have a very "island" feel to them - not meant to be pristine and Ritz Carlton like. You don't come to Cap Juluca to have flawless marble (even though they have close to it) - you come for the beautiful plantation shutter doors that open up to the most amazing view you'll find in the Carribbean. Turn on your fan (or AC) and just enjoy the breeze and the view. We were upgraded from a superior room to a junior quite because of a special occassion, and the room was enormous. Beyond the bed, we had a full L-shaped sofa, and a chaise lounge chair in the room. There is a large changing area between the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom was great, with a separate toilet area. The shower was all glass - with one glass door/wall leading to the outside. It made you feel as though you were showering outside. Very neat - and very private. The bathtub was made for two, and was also next to the glass exterior wall - so was very relaxing to watch the trees and birds from the bath. The whole bathroom was very nice marble, and the toiletries were great. They gave you four options of upscale toiletry sets. You could change out and try something new each day. My wife absolutely loved this unique touch. Breakfast each morning on our terrace was breathtaking. Sure, it is continental breakfast. But who wants to go eat a big pile of pancakes, eggs, and sausage before putting on a bathing suit anyway? Fresh pastries, fruit, coffee/tea, etc. This was perfect for us - and there was a selection you could choose from each morning so that you could have something new each day.

Meals:
Everything said on here is true. The meals are incredibly expensive. I'd almost recommend doing the MAP program so your food is included, and at least you can sit down, order what you want, and not worry about spending more than your allocated MAP fee. We did not venture off the resort for dinner, b/c all of the restaurants that were recommended ended up being as expensive when you factor in taxi fees. We did stop by the liquor store (right down street from the resort) on our way in and picked up some liquor, wine, beer, and champagne. Little did we know, most of this was unnecessary, b/c the stocked mini bar (complimentary) was plenty to keep us busy for the first few nights. It consisted of a bottle of champagne, 6-8 beers, coca colas, still water bottles, sparkling water bottles, etc. It's not a ton, but it's much more than you'd imagine - so you may not want to rush right out to buy your own until you figure out what additional you'd need. Pimms was great food, but very pricey. Not quite what you'd expect for the price, but I think the resort knows this and is working on it. We did not eat at Spice due to recommendations here. We did have the buffet at Blue and we were pleasantly surprised. It's not all cold food - that is just crazy talk. There were several fresh fish on the grill, along with many others. I highly recommend it for a splurge meal. The ambience was very nice as they set up the tables and tiki torches on the beach with some live music. Lunch at Cap Juluca was our only negative. We felt like the prices for lunch were a bit extreme ($32 for a lobster wrap, $26 for a burger, etc). The food was very good at Blue for lunch, but we felt like there should be cheaper lunch options. Same goes for room service. You'd think there would be lighter options that were more inexpensive, yet don't take away the desire for a nice upscale meal at Pimms, etc.

Overall:
A+. We have stayed at what we felt like were fantastic resorts. La Samanna in St. Martin was one of our favorites, and this surpassed it in every way. I highly suggest going to Cap Juluca. Particularly in the low season when there are great deals. The weather is great, the staff second to none, and the beach is wonderful. The room renovations look like they may not take place until next year - and at that time, it will literally be the nicest resort in the Carribbean. But don't wait until then. It's completely worth your stay! Be sure to stop by the main lounge for live music on most nights. And don't worry about bringing books or DVD's. Their library is full of all of the best to choose from. If you just HAVE to bring your laptop, no worries - they have free WIFI in each room, which was perfectly up to speed. We love CJ!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pmac2382
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed 22 July 2009

First of all, I completely and totally agree with the review just below mine (person from Beverly Hills...and I am originally from Los Angeles as well, so I'm glad that we have the same taste!! Also, we were there at the same time - July 8-12.) That being said, anybody who has any negative comments about this resort is probably the type who will simply never be satisfied with anything in life. I drove all over the island and checked out the other resorts, and this was hands-down the best: best beach BY FAR, best architecture, best service. I have to say that - if you don't want to spend the money for Cap Juluca - Frangipani looked fantastic as well.

I have literally been to every island in the Caribbean, since my husband and I sail. So I can tell you what a great island is all about!
Here are the highlights of this resort:

1) fantastic, secluded location, HUGE crescent-shaped beach which seems almost secluded because the size of the beach compared to the relatively small number of rooms in the hotel affords for a lot of open space on the sand and in the water. The water is warm and crystal clear, like a pool, and you can see forever underwater. Also, the beach is strategically shaped with rocks on either end, so it keeps the general public out.
2) wonderful service - everybody is so friendly and accommodating. the beach service with the ice cold towels, complimentary cooler of water, freshly baked cookies and sorbets - amazing. also, how in the hell did they know my name wherever I went? very impressive.
3) the free mini-bar, which is fully stocked when you arrive. they let you drink everything in the bar for free, but you pay for the second time around. also, I've never been to a place with free unlimited waterskiing! usually it's just free hobies and kayaks - which this place had - but waterskiing? you usually pay a fortune for that - so if you are a waterskier, that aspect alone is worth it! oh - let's not forget the free golf carts that you just hop into and take all over the resort, whenever you feel like it. great touch!
4) the babysitting! we came with 2 young kids - ages 1.5 and 4, and we really needed them to get out of the sun during the middle of the afternoon, not to mention we just wanted some time alone! so we hired THE BEST babysitter named Kishma. I highly, highly recommend her. And although everything on the island is very expensive, surprisingly, the babysitting was not ($8/hr for 1 kid, $4/hr. for each add'l kid)

Just FYI, the island overall is relatively lackluster - no great town, no impressive sights, just some great beaches. The people are very friendly. The food is very expensive - but hey - that shouldn't come as a surprise. All of the Caribbean islands are expensive. This might have been a hair more expensive than anywhere I've been in the Caribbean: $9 for a bottle of Evian, and you will not get out of dinner for under $200 for 2 people, guaranteed.

We ate off-site for one meal: a dinner at a place called Blanchards, which is 5 minutes by car from Cap Juluca. I have to say that it was the best meal that we had (same very high prices, $200 for 2.) Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank wanderlust1111
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We just returned after a 5 night stay at Cap Juluca (July 7-11) and it was absolutely outstanding on every level. It made our first four nights on St. Martin pale in comparison. Our previous favorite beach resort was The Four Seasons Hualalai (Big Island) but now we've found a place that surpasses even that in terms of magnificent scenery, top-tier service, beautiful grounds and architecture, wonderful staff and great food. We have been to many beautiful beach resorts on Bora Bora, all Hawaiian islands, around Caribbean but this one takes the cake. We also met many people from around the US who are also very well-traveled and it seemed to be unanimous that we were all blown away by the Cap Juluca. It was a big trek getting there from Los Angeles but so worth it.

First let me say that two weeks before our trip we read a couple of negative comments on this website about the rooms and because of those we momentarily considered rebooking to Cuisinart. THANK GOODNESS we kept our reservation!!! We checked out Cusinart (nice - not amazing) and Malliouhanna (a little dated but nice) and Cap Juluca is superior to everything--had we changed we would have been HUGELY disappointed.
The hotel is about to undergo renovations and we were told they did a "soft" renovation a few years ago. We stayed in a Luxury room category and it was very large, very nicely appointed and had a huge bathroom with floor to ceiling glass doors opening to a private patio. Hard to believe they are renovating that! Housekeeping was amazing - we never had to ask for a thing. they were so on top of making up the room and turndown and taking care of us. In fact, everyone at the hotel is so friendly - they go out of their way to be helpful.

Among many of the nice things included in your stay (fully stocked fridge with waters galore, soft drinks, beer; free beach sports incl. water skiing, kayaks, etc; solar golf carts to use as you like) is the spectacular continental breakfast at Blue which is included in with your stay, which we loved. So much food to choose from and amazing service. Another top mention is that you never have to run out and reserve beach chairs as at other hotels. The hotel feels very small and exclusive and the chairs are well spaced and plentiful that you can arrive anytime and find chairs with an umbrella right by your room. You are not on top of people so you it feels so nice and private. The attendants make up the chairs and bring you a cooler with cold waters on ice, again at no charge and such a nice touch. there are also tented bars set up, probably about 5-6 all along the beach) so you never have to go far for a refreshment, plus they come around several times a day with fruit, ice cream, etc.

The two dinner restaurants, Spice and Pimms, were equally stunning, next to each other on the water, with great selections and very delicions meals. we never wanted to leave the property for a meal (tho we did once). Some have commented on the high prices but considering quality and the level of service we felt it was fair. Also both have a great wine selection.

There's only one negative comment i can say, and i so hesitate to say anything negative about Cap Juluca, but we went to the gym on a couple of occasions and found that it smelled very strongly of possibly cleaning solution or something clhemical, which didn't seem like a good idea to work out in. No biggie - we walked miles on the beaches, kayaked, sailed, rode horses on the beach, so who really wants to be indoors anyway.

Hands down you will not be disappointed,. And if the villa we toured that's currently under extensive renovation (with its private infinity pool overlooking the sea) is any indication, this place will blow you away even more once all the renovation is complete. As i said, our room was really large and fabulous before renovation, so you can imagine what amazing plans await. Lastly, this is not really a place to take kids. Maybe around the holidays when we heard there are lots of families, but our daughter (14) would have been bored and it's just not that kind of place. One last, last thing - we were worried about travelling there in July due to hurricanes but the weather was amazing and we were told that you only need to worry about late august/sept.

4 Thank mintchip17
bkro9
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Yes, the rooms are older and in need of renovation. Don't let this deter you from staying. They are in the process of upgrading everything and it will be fabulous.

The lobby and grounds are absolutely breathtaking. Service impeccable. One of the best beaches I've seen! Beach beds are great, restaurants fantastic. Blue was surprisingly a favorite...the view was AMAZING!!! Loved the solar golf carts used to get around...such a fun idea. Again room was older but fit our needs, bathroom was beautiful and flat screen tv was great.

HIGHLY recommend GB ferry system. Leaves from police station in simpson bay, 35 dollars a person, cab back to the airport INCLUDED. Great service, on time. Saw many using funtime and having lots of troubles. Brings you to SIMPSON BAY unlike the main ferry which goes to Marigot which is much farther from the airport.

Will DEFINITELY be back! My new favorite resort!

1 Thank bkro9
CeBlue Beach Resort
CeBlue Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in The Valley
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!