“Fabulous place to stay on Anguilla!”

Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Lyons, Colorado
“Fabulous place to stay on Anguilla!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We just returned from our 5 night stay on Anguilla. The Anacaona was wonderful, small and intimate and a great value. As all the review say, the hotel is not directly on the beach, but it is just a very short walk to meads bay. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, its a relaxing atmosphere for sure. The owners great you on mondays at the coctail reception and it was great to mingle with them and free drinks. The snorkeling in meads bay was a good place to see lots of fish. The downer was that the hotel did not have enough snorkel masks for us, so bring your own! Improvements are coming to the hotel and I am sure it will keep getting better and better.... i want to go back again one day, it was a great place to stay on this very expensive, but wonderfully beautiful, island!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank coloradowrennie
frankpierce16, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you so much for your review and we are thrilled that you enjoyed the cocktail party. We do think that it is a great way to get to know our new guests and to see again our frequent guests. We have added additional snorkel equitement since your stay with us and thank you so much for the heads up.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed at the Anacaona in late June for our honeymoon. We got a standard room which was more than enough for what we were looking for. At check-in we were each given a complimentary rum punch and cold towel. The bell man took our luggage to our room and showed us where everything was and how it worked. The beach was a short walk away. The twin bartenders were amazing and we spent all happy hour laughing with them. On Monday they had a Manager's Reception where we were also given more rum punch and were able to mingle with the manager and the owners. There was free wi-fi in the lobby, but not in the rooms. The only negative thing I can say is that the hot water was lacking in our room. Fortunately, it was very hot and humid while we were there so it wasn't that big of a deal. Overall, it was a great experience and a great value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank aztravelers_11
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at the Anacaona in late April and really enjoyed the island of Anguilla. We found the service, food, beds and cleanliness to be very good. Our only complaint was a slow check-out and it would have been much more convenient to have a washroom closer to the beach.
The hotel has done a great job of marketing itself, as we were able to learn about it through various sources in Canada. The accommodations are nice, but not luxurious, which is only fair to expect for this price point. You really notice the great value in staying at the hotel, sitting on Meads Bay beach right beside the Viceroy. Sunset drinks at the Viceroy are a must!
We thought the beaches on the island were outstanding. Our favourites being Maundays Bay at Cap Juluca, Shoal Bay and Rendezvous Bay. It is essential to rent a car just to see the other beaches.
Our top picks for restaurants are the beach grill at Cuisinart, where there are simple grilled items that were the freshest we had on the island. KoalKeel was a fantastic dining experience. We do not recommend Mango's at all. We had lobster there, it was not fresh, and they did nothing about it!
The Anacaona was a great place to stay and a great value for the island.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VBeachy
frankpierce16, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope that the next time that you stay with us the check out process will be a swift one. We pride ourselves in trying to give the best service in all areas of the hotel but sometimes situations occur and we must learn from them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Anacaona for seven nights in early May. We had researched hotels extensively over the previous months in attempt to find the best accommodations that would suit our needs, which could perhaps be characterized as a quarter expectation on a nickel budget. We had actually booked two other very attractive properties (Frangipani and Ambia) and had planned to split time between the two. Then we took notice of Anacaona and were able to book our entire stay with American Airlines miles. With our nickel budget, this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. With apologies to Frangipani and Ambia, we changed course and headed to Anacaona.

On a Saturday, we arrived at the Anacaona front desk to a terrific person, Keneisha. She, along with Frank (Sales Director) and Delroy (General Manager), had been terrific in fielding questions from me about the island and the hotel over the previous weeks and months. After the warm greeting, cold (vanilla?) towel and equally cold rum punch, we were shown to our updated Superior room on the third floor overlooking the pool and Atlantic Ocean, exactly as I had requested.

The Anacaona is a beautiful property. Many reviews have described the resort as a work-in-progress. I suppose it is. However, I would say that if you considered the property to be a week, then the progress already made places the hotel at a Thursday-afternoon level. It’s well past the Wednesday hump and on its way to a happy hour on Thursday night with one day left to go, an easy Friday at that.

As we climbed the two sets of stairs to our room, we noticed the beautiful white archways everywhere, which are the staple of the architecture. Near the top of the stairs, we looked off to the south and could see over Anguilla to the Caribbean Sea and the beautiful mountains of St. Martin beyond. From inside the room as well as the private balcony, the view was equally impressive with the pool and grounds below and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. The room interior was very clean and comfortable. The tiles in the room and bathroom were warm. The furniture was contemporary. The air conditioner worked perfectly. I’m not sure if the TV worked, didn’t care. The bed was very comfortable and felt very inviting with the large wood headboard feature (we stayed in the room that is featured in the hotel website pictures). The shower literally never ran out of hot water. Like some other reviews I read, we did see a couple microscopic ants on the bathroom counter, however, who cares! It’s a microscopic ant – either kill it or ignore it!

The only complaint I have about the room was that we did not have any wireless internet access whatsoever. Other reviewers had encountered the same problems so, before my trip, I had called to inquire and was told that “all was fixed.” Not the case. The good news is that the wireless works great in the lobby, so I simply went down there to Skype home and talk to our son. No big deal.

The only other odd discovery was the snorkeling equipment situation. When we checked in, we were told that “you can absolutely borrow our snorkeling equipment anytime.” I thought great, we weren’t sure when we were going to snorkel, perhaps in a couple days. On Wednesday morning, we decided to grab the gear to head to Sandy Island. At the front desk, I was greeted by one of the more junior staff, and she said “no” to snorkeling equipment. I said, “What do you mean, I can’t borrow the gear?” She said, “We don’t have any available all week, other guests have checked them out for the week.” I said, “FOR THE WEEK?” Apparently, it is a wise idea to arrange for the gear at check-in. Again, no big deal.

The open-air hotel lobby is really quaint and charming. It opens to the Firefly Restaurant, which overlooks the main pool. Here we enjoyed a terrific manager’s reception on Monday night hosted by the gracious owners, Robin and Sue. From the pool, a winding path leads you through beautiful gardens, past a second smaller pool, past a few villas and finally arrives at Meads Bay. The path itself could use resurfacing eventually, but the three minute walk is easily accomplishable – and it is very pleasant (and totally safe). Would I be annoyed if I had arrived at the beach without my bottle of sunscreen and had to walk back up to my room? Yes. Is it worth $100+ per night to not have to remember it? No. All in all, the beach access is perfectly fine, especially considering the Anacaona beach chairs are directly adjacent (and actually in a better beach position) to the Viceroy chairs. There was no beach service (the shack was damaged a few months back), but this wasn’t a huge problem for us. Meads Bay is a really terrific beach.

But Shoal Bay might be better. Now, I don’t think I would want to stay at Ku or any other hotel on the east end of the island. Most of the good restaurants are on the west end (more on that later). The convex shape, as opposed to Meads Bay’s concave shape, feels slightly awkward. Shoal Bay is a bit more crowded and cramped than Meads. I mean this is relative terms. Shoal Bay feels about as crowded as Ka’anapali or Waikiki would feel if there were a nuclear bomb scare. And Meads Bay feels about as crowded as Shoal Bay would feel under the same threat warning. Shoal is a bit more lively with more beverages nearby and such. So, both Meads and Shoal have their pluses and minuses. But, to get back to my original point, Shoal’s water is prettier (at least during the time we visited). This is a hands down fact and cannot be debated. Meads is rougher, and the turquoise blue Caribbean water simply doesn’t extend as far.

However, Rendezvous Bay blows Meads and Shoal both out of the water, literally. The water (at least during the time we visited) is like perfectly calm turquoise blue bath water that extends for hundreds of yards. It was ridiculous. If you’re looking for the best beach on Anguilla (perhaps the world, though I haven’t seen them all), Rendezvous Bay is it. We rented chairs from the Anguilla Great House ($5 each) one day. The chairs are under palm trees blowing in the wind. The bar is steps away to grab a cinnamon dusted Rum Punch.

Two days later, we came back to Rendezvous and set up at Galvin’s “shack” about halfway in between the Anguilla Great House and CuisinArt. Galvin gave us free chairs, enticing us to frequent his blender, which we did multiple times. The margaritas are good. The mojitos are great. But the BBC’s are to die for. Ask him to play some of his music on his CD player. The CuisinArt was a good setting for lunch. The resort itself was fairly crowded. It’s very nice and very beautiful, but the grounds do show a little “maturity.” The formality of the resort, centralized around the pool and runnel down to the Sea, is very impressive.

My wife and I left our young son at home with grandparents, so our trip was intended to be full of relaxation. It certainly was, but we quickly remembered that life, without child, can be quite relaxing even when you’re doing a lot. We definitely scoped out a lot of the island, from restaurants to beach bars to resorts to multi-million dollar coastal estates overlooking St. Martin with a private beach (long story, but it pays to meet new friends in high places). We did charter the Chocolat Boat on Thursday to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island. It was very enjoyable. Captain Rollins is a trip. He is not a party-boat runner, so be forewarned. I would compare him to the crazy soup guy in that Seinfeld episode. He “suffers for his catamaran.” But if you get a chance to talk with him at length, you’ll find he is a passionate person, and he loves his simple life on the boat 6 or 7 days a week.

The first night we arrived, we hurriedly raced from the Anacaona to the Viceroy (which is an enormous property – the walk through the Viceroy grounds is a lot longer that the distance from Anacaona to the beach) for a sunset cocktail. This must be done. Love it or hate, the Viceroy is a statement to be seen. It screams opulence. The following night, we closed our night at Elvis’ Beach Bar. I can’t imagine two more different places, but we enjoyed them both immensely. We did see Bankie Banx at the Dune Preserve on Wednesday night – that guy is one talented folk singer (and he actually did perform as opposed to being too stoned to play).

Now for the best part of Anguilla – the food. Our first night was spent at Straw Hat. This is a short stroll down the beach from Anacaona, and it is exceptional. The setting is absolutely picturesque. It is directly on the beach, and the front tables overlook the surf and glow from tiki-torches. We ate breakfast at Geraud’s the next morning, and we’re glad we did. We tried to go back again Tuesday and the oven was broke. Jacala on Meads Bay is a great spot. We enjoyed a leisurely lunch there on Sunday. That evening, we headed to Davida on Crocus Bay. This place is gorgeous. The service was terrific. The dining room and bar overlook the water, where local kids were running up and down the beach. The only negative was that the restaurant was rather quiet. But, it was Sunday night (I think Sunday afternoon is a good time to visit this restaurant with live music, etc.).

On Monday, we ate lunch at Gwen’s Reggae Grill on Shoal Bay. The food was terrific. The water’s edge view was stunning. Again, I was told that Sunday afternoon is the time to come to Gwen’s. We missed this, and wanted Gwen to play some reggae music while we ate, but there was no music (not even on the stereo). For dinner, we ate at Veya, which feels like you are perched up in a treetop. Veya is a meal you will never forget. The owner plans trips to Massachusetts music festivals (answering the question, “If you live in paradise, where do you vacation?”). This is evident with the controlled music experience of the restaurant (Wilco, Mumford & Sons, Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes). But it’s the food that’s the real treat, don’t skip dessert.

After discovering that Geraud’s oven broke, we ate at Café Veya (downstairs from the restaurant) for breakfast the following morning. We had an excellent omelet. We tried the Viceroy Grill for lunch. We were leery of the over-priced resort food. It was expensive, no question, but we split a sandwich and were sufficiently full with a good size portion. The setting was very nice, and it was a good placed to sit out a fifteen minute shower, the first of our trip. For Tuesday’s dinner, we didn’t have any plans or reservations. We heard good things about Mangos, but they were closed. We stopped by Trattoria Tramonto, but it was dead and we prefer to not be the only two people in a restaurant. Plus, is it me or does it kind of stink over by Cove Castle on the west end tip of the island by the salt pond? We tried to find Oliver’s, but it was difficult to find in the dark. We landed at Tasty’s and were seated at a nice table…right by the main road of the island. Yes, we were inside, but we were ten feet from zooming cars blasting bass music into our window. After downing a bottle of sparking water and with apologies to Tasty’s staff, we had to leave. It’s a fine place with what appeared to be a nice menu, but if traffic noise annoys you, avoid it. At this point, it was getting late, so we headed back to Straw Hat. On vacation, I hate dining at the same place twice, but I have no regrets. Straw Hat was even better the second time.

On Wednesday, we did lunch at Smokey’s, which had the friendliest service on the island. The setting (Cove Bay) and food (burgers, etc.) were very nice. Dinner was at Picante’s. This was very good Mexican food and very close to the Anacaona. There are no backs on the benches/chairs, which gives the place a fun casual feel, albeit not terribly comfortable. The margaritas are as delicious as promised. On Thursday night, our original plans were to visit Barrel Stay at Sandy Ground. We heard terrific things about it, but, in the end, we were wooed into the buffet dinner and folkloric theater at the Firefly Restaurant. This was a terrific decision. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was upbeat, and the theater was really entertaining and educational.

For our final dinner, we wanted to go upscale, so we tried Spice at Cap Jaluca. It happened to be pouring rain that night, but we found that Spice is a terrific place to enjoy the rain (in this event, take the second row of seating from the rail, not the front row). This was probably our most expensive meal, but in reality it wasn’t that much more than anyplace else. We did a wine flight at “Flights” beforehand. The service was warm and professional. The property is spectacular. We really enjoyed it.

We will walk away with terrific memories of Anguilla and the Anacaona forever. The Anacaona staff is comprised of caring and genuine individuals (as is the entire island). I know they went out of their way to make sure my wife and I had an amazing stay, and I really thank them for it. We will most certainly be back.

I will add that, while in Anguilla, we did “inspect” Frangipani and Ambia for future trip considerations. Ambia is a stunning property with gracious hosts and an intimate feel, and the only strike against it is that it’s not on the water. Frangipani was very nice - we didn’t see a room, but, from the pictures, the rooms didn’t appear any nicer than our Anacaona room. Plus, a parking lot view room was significantly more expensive than our ocean view with private balcony. I don’t think the infinite pool is worth the added cost (just drive over to Rendezvous Bay for your own mega-infinite pool).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank beachfan22
Mr D, Thank you so much for the glowing review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! It was a pleasure before and now after. Sorry for the couple of minor situations but as you know we are working on them and they will be corrected before your next trip. We look forward to having you back! I am sure that your recomendations will be a great help to others, next time you may even give tours! Thanks for the great photos also. Have a great summer.
Best
Frank
St. Maarten-St. Martin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

From the moment you arrive you are greeted like you have arrived at another of the 5 star properties of Anguilla even though you are paying only a fraction of the price. The gardens are very natural and lush. If you are not fuzzy and don't want to mortgage your house on your vacation this is a great choice if Anguilla is your voice of island.

Don't be surprised since this property is owned by the pioneers of 5 star service in Anguilla 25 years ago.

Room Tip: All rooms have there own charm
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpo
Thank you for your review and we do hope to see you again soon!
Beltsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Anguilla is undoubtedly the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. I have not missed many of them so can state this fact. The hotel was one of the few really affordable accomodations on the island known for high end resorts. It was lovely - a smaller inn with definite Anguillan flavor to it and lovely staff. It is located on a lovely beach front. I would definitely come back and stay there. The friendliness and openness of the Anguillan people is refreshing. I had come from St. John and St. Thomas where people are not as friendly.

Room Tip: Go offseason
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Jamaicanmichele
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

We just got back from a 4 night stay at the Anacaona. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We were in a junior suite as we took advantage of the pay for 3 nights and stay for 4. It was a very interesting setup. It's is a two story accommodation almost like a small apartment. The lower level had a living room and kitchenette area and the hotel provided all the pots and pans and cooking utensils which we did not use but I could see how on an extended stay it may be helpful. It was definitely nice having a decent size fridge. The building where we were had two suites like this and was down from the main hotel closer to the beach.
The upstairs had a large bathroom and bedroom which had a lovely view overlooking the sea in the distance. The downstairs and upstairs bedroom had excellent air conditioning. The bathroom did not however and was a bit humid. Only a problem I guess when it’s hot outside, or if you have long hair that you must blow dry and for putting on makeup.
The negative about the room was the bathroom. Even though it was huge and had a walk in shower and huge two person Jacuzzi, the grout lines in the shower really need to be cleaned (scrubbed) and our room could have used a new toilet seat and toilet paper holder and overall attention to things that are a bit rusty.
Also, just as a suggestion, there could have been hooks on the walls by each sink so we could hang either the hand towels or the dop kits we brought. But once we got used to the condition we stopped seeing it and it did not affect our trip.
Frank at the hotel was incredibly accommodating. Our planes were cancelled going down and the hotel let us extend our visit by one day and did not charge us for not being there the night we were supposed to come. He really put my mind at ease about everything and arranged for our transfer from St. Martin and back again. We really appreciated his kindness and quick response because obviously it's stressful when you find out your plane was cancelled.
If you are interested in a luxury resort this is not the place for you. If you are looking to enjoy Anguilla and have comfortable accommodations on a gorgeous beach with friendly people go for it.
The walk to the beach from our room was about 2 minutes. Really a nothing walk. You must go down a path and you are on probably one of the best beaches on the island. We heard that the hotel had ordered new beach chairs although the ones they had were fine. I guess they could have been less plasticy and more comfortable but they were fine. The beach is right next to the Viceroy. We wandered over there to check out their lunch menu but the food at Anacaona is much less money and very good. And they had vegetarian options!
The positives were the people, the location, the price, the beach, the food and a spacious room. We did also see a regular room which was spacious and looked comfortable. They also had excellent rum punch and one night they even had a reception for the guests with free alcohol. I heard people talking positively about the box lunches they bring down to the beach for you. And, they have snorkels and fins for guests to use which I definitely recommend as we saw some pretty cool looking fish and reefs!

Also, I had suggested while we were there that they fill the holes in the pathway down to the beach and the next day it was done! I was impressed.

The negatives which I am confident will be addressed I will list as suggestions as the hotel is going through changes and are eager to improve which is totally appreciated.

They should prune the trees and get rid of the branches and sticks rather than leave them in areas where guests are passing by.
The paths could be better lighted at night.
Some of the plants by the paths need to be pruned so they don't rub against you.
Some of the paths could use pavers rather than pebbles.
And as a general suggestion in Anguilla, bring bug spray or make sure to use the one they have at the hotel.

A word about WiFi: The hotel has a computer in the lobby which is complementary for the guests to use. And free wifi for your computers and phones. However, it didn't work in our room but the regular rooms are much closer to the lobby so perhaps it works in them. The good news is that you can get free wifi on the beach by using Frangipani's wifi or Viceroy. So even if you don't use phone service down there you can BBM on your blackberry's and still get emails on your phones!

We dined at:
Straw Hat : Right on the beach at Frangipani (We walked on the beach to get there and food was decent)
Tasty's : Food was delicious but we had to drive. Make sure you put bug spray on if you are wearing a dress
Smokey's: Close to Cuisinart beach. It is known for it's barbeque but I was allergic to one of the ingredients so I had fish which was fine. Not huge portions.
Restaurant at Anacaona (Firefly I think it's called) Was really good actually

We tried Gerauds, the breakfast place we read about but we didn't particularly like it.
If you are going out for breakfast go to Bonjour Cafe. It was a wonderful atmosphere, had incredible coffee and croissants and the owner Suzan is a lovely woman. It is worth the drive there but it's only open for breakfast and lunch. Everything was fresh and she takes a lot of pride in her place. You won’t be sorry going there.
We went snorkeling in Shoals bay but truthfully the snorkeling was better right at home on Meads bay.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MargotTS
frankpierce16, Director of Sales at Anacaona Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Hi Margot,

Thank you for the review and the suggestions and they will be addresses straight away. I am so glad that you enjoyed Anacaona and Anguilla! It was a pleasure helping you in your day of crisis and helping you plan your trip, also Thank You for the kind words, myself and the rest of the staff at Anacaona take great pleasure in assisting our guests in anyway that we can. We understand the concern of coming to a new place and sometimes the agony of getting there when you are at the mercy of the airlines. Please come back soon and I am sure that you will appreciate what you see upon your return again. Have a wonderful summer season.
Best
Arawak Beach Inn
Arawak Beach Inn
#1 of 4 in Island Harbour
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Frangipani Beach Resort
Frangipani Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Anacaona Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!