“Immediate Relaxation at Anacaona”

Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Once upon a time (last week) we arrived at Anacaona for the first time ever from Boston (flew from JFK/ drove to NY) no later than 2:30 p.m. via taxi from ferry (we caught the 1:30 p.m, ferry and happened to encounter a rough sea day – at least 8 foot waves). The public ferry was easy to get on, but if you don’t stomach a rough sea, I would suggest flying. I was just scared, not sick. The way back was much more calming for sure. We had the taxi driver stop at a grocery store to pick up a few things. Upon arrival we were greeted with a nice rum punch and to the room we went. I would love to upload all of my pictures, but my camera broke the second day! Here’s the dish on Anacaona (and yes it took us like 5 tries to even say the name):

Standard queen rooms: Quaint, simple, TV, Refrigerator, coffee maker, ceramic coffee cups, glass drinking cups, silverware, ice bucket (ice available at bar), small deck with table and 2 chairs, safe, walk in shower, toiletries provided, plush towels, beach towels- can be exchanged daily at front desk, extra blanket/bedding, hand written note cards thanking us for our stay/ invitation to the managers reception – Monday nights, closet, alarm clock, IPod docking system, regular keys to the room- no cards, air conditioner, screen on deck door, a couple of paintings, pamphlets/ maps of Anguilla and much more.

Firefly/ D’ Sand Pit/ Folkloric Theatre:
Tweety – is a gem! She will mix you up any drink and greets you with a welcome, an introduction and a smile. The pizza was pretty good. It was actually quite healthy since they don't butter or oil the bottom. It seemed like a big hit on the island for we saw many people ordering it “to go” throughout the week. The menu at Firefly was delightful and the prices were comparable to other restaurants on the island, which I felt were very high. D’ Sand Pit is great- march right up on the beach around 10:30 -11 a.m. (time they open) and they will mix you up a delicious beach cocktail. The folkloric theatre on Thursdays was decent. The vocals of the performers were entertaining- harmonies and all, the band was uplifting and the buffet was filling. The one woman on the right all the way to the end was our favorite with her facial expressions. Would I see it again? Probably not. It was really difficult to understand the main character because of the microphones/ speakers. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but I wouldn’t pay to see it again. It was however the busiest I saw the restaurant all week.

Location, Pool, Grounds:
Prime Meads Bay! You can't get any better than that. After touring the island via rental car- I prefer Shoal Bay East, but Meads Bay was great! The best thing about the hotel is the location- YES! You can walk to Best Buy Market, which I thought was the best one on the island. You can also walk to a variety of restaurants including the Viceroy, Blanchard’s Shack and Restaurant, Straw Hat, Ocean Echo…etc. (I will add my reviews soon to those establishments as well.) ZazAA boutique is quaint and offers a variety of clothing and trinkets. Pools galore- 2 total. We used them every day when we returned from the beach. I liked the one lower to the beach and I was surprised, but completely content with how deep they go. The grounds were great- hammocks, well marked paths to the beach (the walk isn’t that long at all), gives you a little exercise in the morning and by exercise, I mean a 3 minute walk. Speaking of exercise- no, they don’t have a gym. I was bummed since I hit the gym almost every day back in Boston. The lack of this didn’t bother me, it actually made me find other ways to exercise. Swim laps, jog to Cap Juluca- or the Viceroy (no the cars won’t run you off the road)- all in all, the lack of the gym wasn’t the worst thing ever. Spa- didn't try, but would give it a go next time for sure. The fountain was a nice touch and the cat lounging around was always nice to bump into. Yes there are roosters and yes, they may wake you up. Enjoy it! It’s not the blaring beep- beep- beep sound of your alarm clock; it makes you realize you’re in Anguilla, so I say take it all in and don’t let it ruin your vacation.

Conclusion: Value, Smiles and Simplicity go a long way at Anacaona. I am so glad that I stumbled upon the Blanchard’s book A Trip to the Beach and I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to have stayed at the Anacaona on Anguilla. I hope to be back one day. The End.

Room Tip: Second floor balcony- view of the ocean.
There are newer reviews for Anacaona Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Anguilla is a fabulously beautiful place and is quite expensive, so this boutique hotel is a wonderful value for the location and service. It is a short walk to the beach and after visiting several beaches on the island, we found this one (Meads Bay) to be the best in terms of super soft sand and tranquil water. It also offers spectacular sunsets! The service by the front desk and housekeeping was great, they were very attentive and friendly. Raquel helped out with so many pre-arrival questions and set up a car rental for us as well. Everything was seamless! We were so pleased with our stay that we can't think of staying anywhere else if we decide to return to beautiful Anguilla!!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The service at the hotel was great, we were met at the walkway as soon as we got out of the taxi. The front desk arranged for our rental car half way through our week, assisted with choices for restaurants for dinner and even let us use their computer to do our flight check in at the end of our stay. You will need a rental car (they drive on the left side) since there are only a few places to eat near the hotel. There is not much shopping to bring souvenirs home to love ones...more of a sit back and relax island. The island is some what pricey..$8.00 for a gallon of gas, about $10.00 for a gallon of milk. At the restaurants you will see a service charge added to your bill, this is NOT a tax but 15% gratuity and when you ask what it is they do not tell you it is a tip so some places made out and got a 33% tip. One of our favorite restaurants on the island was Mango's, great beach, great service....the place we got engaged!! The Firefly was also nice but didn't have all the items listed on the menu, their chicken francaise was to die for, we ordered that a couple of times for dinner. On Thursday nights the Firefly has a buffet serving local cuisine, fish, ribs, ox tail as well as entertainment song and dance, watch out for the lady selling the coconuts.. ha ha. We stayed in a JR Suite above the check in (room 501), to get to the room you have to go up a spiral staircase, the suite was really nice (much better then the simple room which we had to stay in our first night because the travel agent over booked the suite and it wasn't available at the beginning of our stay). I do not know that room 501 would be so great during peak season since it is over the reception and bar area and the noise/sound traveled. Over all as the first day or so passed we fell into vacation mode and hated leaving by the end of the week, this is an island where 2 weeks would be great to explore and eat at all the great restaurants...the wallet and credit card bills after not so great!!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights in April 2014 at Anacaona. The price of staying here is a huge bargain considering that it is a 5 minute walk to Meads Beach. We used to think that Shoal Bay was our favourite on Anguilla but we since changed our mind. Meads Beach is amazing! The service at this hotel is truly 5 star. The staff is warm and friendly - always genuinely smiling. The room is a little outdated and it is true that there are not enough flat surfaces to place things on. There are so many restaurants within walking distance and grocery store near by as well. We visited the Viceroy Spa and although the spa was awesome, we would never stay there since it has a cold atmosphere. We would stay here again for sure.

1  Thank seaskybro
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The service at the front desk was terrific from check in by Kenisha to throughout the stay when asking for a torch for nighttime walks to band aids. Firefly restaurant for breakfast is not recommended. They were out of bacon. The view is of a pool, nothing to see. The grounds are poorly maintained, with yellowing and browning vegetation, broken path lighting, and weeds. The pools are sad. Best is to go to the beach and enjoy Meads Bay. Even though there wasn't sorbet afternoon service as promised, the beach is stunning. Go walk to the Viceroy to their Sunset Lounge for spectacular views, good drinks, nice service. Overall, a good value (we did a garden view ground floor standard room) but the grounds need care. If the grounds were well maintained, this would be a Highly Recommended property. Serious plus marks for front desk staff. Less so for restaurant staff but this was not atypical of many restaurants on the island.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank BoobsAndLoubs
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Everything on the island is super expensive, so this hotel is a great bargain to offset your other costs.

Pros
Very nice staff
Price
Reasonably priced restaurant and drinks in hotel
Next to viceroy
On meads bay

Cons
SO quiet- everywhere in anguilla is but this place borders on deserted
Could use an update
Staff is money concious, so they give suggestions to suit that-- they often suggest walking to dinner which was very scary and dark and not for people who enjoy a least a little bit of comfort and luxary

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jsg373
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I spent April 10-14, 2014 @ Anacaona. The people were so friendly. Kenisha greeted us before we even got to the steps up to the open-air lobby. All the staff was very attentive. 75 yards to the beach was no big deal. Nice walking trail. My wife loved the fragrant frangipani trees all over the grounds. Our room was small, but nice and clean. The lanai was used regularly to chill after a few hours on the beach and to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening. Food at the Firefly restaurant was very good and less expensive than many area restaurants. The lack of a fitness center meant nothing to us....who works out on vacation, really. We will be back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Carimar Beach Club
Carimar Beach Club
#3 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#2 of 13 in West End Village
Frangipani Beach Resort
Frangipani Beach Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Anguilla Great House Beach Resort
Anguilla Great House Beach Resor...
#10 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Anacaona Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!