“Anacaona is a great place to stay on Anguilla, but it could be improved”

Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this very welcoming hotel for a total of 16 nights in June 2014. This hotel offers everything that you could possibly need, and all of the staff is friendly and professional. Beach access and service on Meads Bay is great. If you are looking for a good hotel deal on Anguilla, Anacaona fits the bill! However, there are a few things that could be improved. The food and service at the onsite restaurant (Firefly, for which I will write a separate review) is below expectations. We dined with a party of 8, and the food is decisively overpriced for the quality. Not to mention the service: for whatever reason it took almost an hour for the first plate to come out. The other complaint is that the wifi needs major improvement. Not only did our guest party have various issues with various devices accessing the internet, but the devices that were connected experienced an abysmal internet connection speed. Regardless, the cat (we miss you Jasper!) the manager and the staff was personable, attentive, and responsive to our needs, so I would not hesitate to stay here again. Anacaona is a good hotel, and it could be great!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villas are subject to noise from roosters and cars driving on the side road. The Junio...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just got back and can't wait to go back to Anguilla & the Anacaona. This is a great deal...
Affordable boutique hotel on beautiful meads bay. Service was exceptional, 10 stars to staff for friendly service with a smile. Lunch & drink service on the beach was wonderful thanks to beach staff. You can eat & drink at your lounge chair on the beach or under the tented lounge area on the beach in the shade. Anguilla is not cheap but it is so beautiful that its worth every penny and as a solo female traveller I felt safe among the amazing & friendly people of Anguilla. The beach at the Anacaona and meads bay is probably the most beautiful, serene & tranquil beach I've ever experienced. The sand was like butter under my feet and the water was two colors of blue that was breathtaking. If Anguilla isn't on your bucket list, it should be.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2014

At first I have to say, that we are not really demanding customers, so we don't really care is we don't get 100% service.

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in June. The first day our room was ready soon, so we got it at 11am, which was really perfect. We got superior room in 3rd floor, which was very nice. The room has everything we need, amazing bathroom and comfortable bad. And amazing complimentary local-made soap, shampoo and body lotion!

We really enjoyed the hotel environment, it's all located in big garden, with lot of trees and green. It was off-season, so the second swimming pool was dirty, but the primary was clean and nice.

The food in restaurant was very good - the tuna tartar was amazing and shrimp pasta was the best pasta I've ever had in my life!

Access to the beach is not bad, but the beach chairs are little uncomfortable.

Staff were friendly and nice, but as we were most of the time the only guests by the pool, they could come to us and serve us there.

The bar was out of Coco Lopez and mint, which I think should not ever happen to the carribean bar! no mojito or pina colada? Big deal.

The restaurant was out of some dishes too, but if we asked for one type of breakfast one morning, they should get it for us for the next day,I think.

But that's the only problems we had to face to. Everythink else was wery nice and for that price absolutely amazing!

Room Tip: Superior rooms in 3rd floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a tough review to write, in late January 2014 we had a lovely vacation to Anguilla in, a very expensive island with beautiful beaches. The prices at Anacaona during peak season are by no means cheap, but are much more affordable than the other resorts (Viceroy, Frangipani, etc.) on this great stretch of beach. Long story short, I wouldn't necessary recommend this hotel, yet I don't regret staying here as it allowed me to come to the island with these great beaches.

Pros:

1. Location! Great beach access with free parking. While not directly on the beach, we didn't mind the 5 or so minute walk. However, be aware that the walk is quite dark in the evening. Mead's Bay is one of the best beaches on the island. We also rented a car for some other days to explore other islands. The location also allows you to walk to some great restaurants, especially Blanchard's Beach Shack for some great lunches.

2. The rooms are a decent size and kept cool. Be aware those roosters are loud early in the morning.

Cons:

1. Spotty service. At times the service was great, but water pressure and temperature really varied and at times the front desk didn't respond to our complaints at all or accused us of not raising the issue. We also wasted about 2 hours waiting for a rental car despite asking for one the day prior. Not sure whose fault this was.

2. While providing beach access, we didn't use the pool as it was a bit dirty and were not impressed with other amenities. For example, the beach chairs and umbrellas were of low quality and pretty uncomfortable.

3. Rooms were just okay, there were some flies in the room, and as mentioned the plumbing and roosters posed some problems.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank metfan99
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We recently returned from our first trip to Anguilla and Anacaona exceeded our expectations in every way. To sum it up . . . we LOVE this place! Warning, this is a long review - when I am passionate about a place, I write long reviews (see my Bora Bora Pearl Resort review – quite long).

Although Anacaona isn’t 5 a star resort, they make up for that with friendly Anguillan hospitality and service. The staff is amazing, and the price is extremely affordable for Anguilla, (and yes Anguilla is expensive). We’ve been around the world, and honestly, have never met a nicer group of people. One can stay next door at the gorgeous Viceroy, however you will pay a hefty price, and receive rude service. The theme to Viceroy’s reviews here on Trip Advisor is indeed elegance, served with rude service. We experienced their rudeness first hand at Viceroy, the servers were not attentive and more interested in checking their phones. Rude service and close to $100 for a few drinks - not acceptable in my book. Although we can afford to stay at the Viceroy, and have stayed at 5 stars in the past, we chose Anacanona for many reasons.

Personal service:
You are not just a number here. I believe it was the manager, Delroy who stated, “you arrive as a guest, but you leave as family.” So true! I first recognized their superior customer service when I had contacted the hotel via phone and email regarding questions on our reservations – always responsive and friendly. Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted with a drink and personally escorted to our room. On the bed was a handwritten note, welcoming us to their resort.

Every Monday, guests are invited to the Manager’s Reception in which they provide complimentary drinks and appetizers. We were treated not just as guest, but as friends. It was here, we met and talked with the staff, other guests, the manager and owners. All whom we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations.

Location:
Right on Meads Bay – gorgeous and surprisingly our favorite beach on island. Prior to arrival, I thought Shoal Bay would be our favorite beach, and first considering staying there. I’m glad we chose Meads, as it’s somewhat centrally close to everything – Sandy Ground, Rendezvous Bay & Maunday Bay. At first I debated renting a car for the week. I highly recommend a car as there is so much to explore (Ronnie Bryan’s Car Rentals). However, if you are on tight budget, the resort is within walking distance of restaurants and a grocery store. Just keep in mind, taxi’s are pricey, so if you think you will venture out much – rent a car.

Beach:
Perfect. We chose Anguilla as they are known for the best beaches in the Caribbean. Meads bay is the best beach on the island for a few reasons. Clear, gorgeous blue water, no crowds, and places to walk to if you get bored. Make sure to walk to the other end by the old Milliouhana on the rocks, and stop by Blancard’s Beach Shack on the way back.

To access the beach from the hotel, it’s an estimated 5 minute walk (depends how fast you walk). The distance was not a problem at all for us, but then again we are both active people. Perhaps for those who are older, this might be an issue. The path to the beach is marked, and I do agree it’s somewhat tricky the first time. No worries, you will find the beach – just follow the signs – it is to the left, past the pool, to the left, and another left.

Anacaoana’s shares the same beach area with Viceroy. They provide complimentary beach chairs/umbrella/table. There’s a tented beach bar with chairs in the shade, and a limited beach food menu. One afternoon, the bartender came to our beach chairs and gave us a complimentary cold towel to cool off - again the service is unmatched. Although we were in low season, beach bar service was still available.

Property & Grounds:
Very nice and full of a variety of Caribbean vegetation and flowers. They have created a few places where one can relax on the hammock. At the front of the property is Zazaa Boutique, then a parking area. The main hotel area consists of a few buildings with the lobby, and the restaurant over looking the main pool. The rooms are spread out in a few buildings around the main area. Behind the main pool is the spa. A small, more intimate pool is located towards the beach at the rear of the property. Both pools were very clean.

Room #210
Exceeded my expectations – high ceilings, more spacious than expected (king bed, sitting area, full size bathroom and patio), lots of windows and very sunny. Being on the second level, there was a distant ocean view of the beach from both inside our room and outside patio, which made for a gorgeous nightly sunset.

We were VERY lucky to be upgraded to a Superior Room from a Standard Room. I booked early, and inquired about a free night special they occasionally have when you book 5 nights during the low summer season. At that time, the offer was not available, however they offered a complimentary upgrade to a Superior Room, if we booked. The perks of vacationing during the low season.

The small refrigerator includes two complimentary water bottles, the bathroom was supplied and replenish daily with locally made shampoo/conditioner/soaps & location. Being clean and free of bugs is important for me. I know bugs exist on the island – I don’t want to see them, and didn’t here. (Oh I wish I could have said that about our hotel in St. Maarten . . .LOL).

The complimentary in-room coffee pot (pod type), was another bonus. Coffee and refrigerated creamers were also replenished daily. It’s the little things that count. We started each day sipping our coffee on the patio, with a view of the ocean in the background.

The bed was comfy and had an abundance of pillows. Bathroom was large and spacious. Plenty of counter space. They shower could use another tray to hold shampoo, razors, etc. Housekeeping was great – no complaints.

One complaint – the patio doors were VERY tricky and difficult to open/close. Often they would slide off track. In fact, the non-patio sliding door in the room (door facing ocean), had about 1” gap of space allowing the outside to come in – this was due to be totally off the track. I pointed it out to my husband, as I knew it would be a problem with mosquitos at night. Instead of calling housekeeping, he was able to pull the door off completely and fix it, (we have the same issue at home) – no problem. These doors need to be looked into the future, as some guest might not be understanding as we are, nor will they be able to fix the door themselves. Those doors are heavy!

Staff:
Outstanding, and kudos to the entire team - they went out of their way to meet your needs. We loved talking and getting to know Tweety and Soya. Tanisha, Tangiera, the entire team, was great. Delroy, the manager, very professional, personable and fun to talk too.

Food:
We only ate at Anacaona’s Firefly restaurant twice (breakfast and dinner), and although the food was outstanding, I felt it was overpriced. For breakfast, chef Kevin’s french toast is a must – it’s like a caramelized fried piece of heaven. Two pieces of french toast for $14 . . .yikes. The $8 fruit plate was lacking . . . more fruit. For dinner- we tried the tuna tartar $13, and goat curry $18 – both were amazing. Although dinner was pricey – I felt it was warranted for the portions. The breakfast portions were not worth the price.

Here is my issue with restaurant pricing. Many come to stay at Anacaona for the affordable price. For those who have a strict budget and don’t rent a car, they will probably walk to the grocery store, stock their refrigerator, or walk to other places. Perhaps they will order a pizza from the hotel one night, or have dinner at Firefly one night. (The grocery store has pretty much everything you would expect to find in the States – I was impressed). For those who have a car (like us), there is no draw to the restaurant. We had the ability to explore places, and did. Don’t get me wrong, the chef is amazing and the food does warrant the expensive price – but they need to realize their market. I realize maybe they are trying to attract outside guest as well, but perhaps their own guest would dine if they were offered an incentive such as a discount, or maybe a free drink, etc.

Complimentary coffee is available in the lobby during the morning – mid morning. And complimentary ice cold water (with lemons) is available at all times at the bar area.

Bar:
The lobby bar is a casual place to have drinks. It serves the restaurant as well. There are a variety of drinks with creative names and descriptions. Happy hour is from 6-7 everyday with half off drinks. If you need ice for your room, just ask the bartenders and they will hook you up with ice. Tweety and Soya are the best, so fun, sweet and personable.

When to visit:
We typically always vacation during “shoulder season” when the crowds are less and prices go down. Anguilla’s slow summer season starts in April. During the last week of May, we experienced no crowds, yet everything is still open and in full service. At some beaches and restaurants, it seemed as if we were the only people there. We had no idea our last day on the island (May 30th), was their largest holiday – Anguilla Day. Anguilla day is celebrated with a boat race around island. The boats start and finish at Sandy Ground – it takes all day. Most folks are off work, and this holiday is huge! We followed the boats around the island, and started at the hill (thanks Delroy –great place to see the boats take off), then went to Rendouzvous Bay, Meads Bay, followed by Sandy Ground. Experiencing this holiday with the Anguillins is an experience I will NEVER forgot. All I can say, is we received stellar service during the low season of May, and the weather was great (not perfect).

Wireless:
Fast and had no problems. Wireless is everywhere on the property – in our rooms, at the pool, and yes, even on the beach. This is a huge plus in my book.

Animals:
A few quick words on the animals on the property. Yes, there is a loud rooster, as some complained in other reviews, and it woke me up too. I was also awoken by a loud screeching bird who hung out on our patio early each morning. However, I would never allow this to ruin my vacation – it’s nature and animals make noise! Come on folks, you are on vacation – just go back to bed and get over it. We actually laughed about the bird waking us up every morning. We took a video of him chirping away, as he was non - stop. We loved Jasper the cat, and he seemed to find us everywhere we went on the property and followed us around and to our room. (Yes, we were guilty of feeding him).

Gym:
No gym, no problem. My husband and I are both very active and exercise at the gym and outdoors almost daily. I actually am happy the resort doesn't have a gym - who wants to go to the gym during vacation? Although no gym, we got plenty of daily exercise walking the beaches, swimming, snorkeling and paddle boarding.

I love Anguilla and love Anacaona. I can’t wait to return, I highly recommend Anacaona!

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions! Happy travels!

Room Tip: Superior Room on 2nd level with distant beach view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AkronTravelBug
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel has beautiful views of the water, <5 minute walk to an amazing beach. Food and beverage service on the beach was wonderful. We also used snorkel gear from the hotel which was great and very convenient. The hotel staff were nice and helpful too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karalee_and_Kevin
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights on a recent business trip, with hotel booked by company travel desk. Would I stay here again? - Yes.

Hotel had nice look, nice ambience and decor. Very pleasant place to stay.

Room was very clean, two beds, nice flooring and furniture. Bathroom was great, huge shower and nice soaps.

Breakfast area was open to outside, very nice, although like many places in Caribbean the menu was expensive. And I remember the days I was there a few things were not available from the menu, but it wasn't such a big deal.

Wifi internet wasn't the best, as always it worked better in reception. This could be improved.

Swimming pool and gardens area was clean and nice, perfect if you're just passing through as I was. But perhaps not for a swimming pool holiday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Frangipani Beach Resort
Frangipani Beach Resort
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#3 of 13 in West End Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Anacaona Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!