“not worth the money”
Review of Transcorp Hotels

Transcorp Hotels
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Calabar
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights and was really dissapointed considering the amount of money I paid. Firstly, they dont take debit/credit cards and their exchange rates are so ridiculous that you have to go get cash for the number of nights you staying for. Now, consider i paid for 2 people and there is a limit on the cash one can take at the ATMs. So you see my frustration.

To make matters worse, no towels were in the room, so you can imagine waiting for a towel and walking on the cold floor ceramic tiles.

Only good thing here was the chinese restaurant at the back of the hotel. Food was very a ok!

Room Tip: Try and get rooms on the first floor as elevator is quite slow. Definitely go to the chinese restaur...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Nuhu S, Guest Service Manager at Transcorp Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2015

Dear Colo,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We write to inform you that Transcorp Hotels has undergone a lot of transformation on the facility and service delivery in recent years.

We believe that you will have no cause for further complaint when next you visit Transcorp Hotels, Calabar

We work hard to maintain a friendly and efficient service and sincerely hope to welcome you again at Transcorp Hotels, Calabar.

There are newer reviews for Transcorp Hotels

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I have to say that the hotel is vastly improved from many, many years ago when I grew up in Calabar and the hotel had a very bad reputation. My cousin booked the rooms for me, I almost had a fit until we pulled up and I noted the great improvement outwardly and within!

My biggest issue during my 11 day stay at Transcorp Metropolitan were as follows: there is a lack of transparency and their nickle & diming methods! I was refused an iron when I made the request for one, however when an employee of the hotel took our clothes, he never explained that there would be additional charges for the service. I do not have an issue with a business coming up with a gimmick to make extra money but give the customer an option to accept or decline. I was surprised when our clothes were handed to us with an N11,000 bill and worst still was when I found my clothes had black streaks from the iron! BRING YOUR OWN IRON OR PAY! I could have bought about 5 irons for what I paid to get our clothes ironed!

Secondly, my hubby and I decided to make use of the pool table by the pool and we were charged N200 per game! Shouldn't the pool table be part of the activities that the hotel provides for its guests especially since they do not have a thing to do AFTER the christmas carnival? I am surprised they didn't charge for breathing the air within the hotel!

The cleaning staff at the hotel seem to think that since they are up, the guests should be as well! We had the misfortune of have the first room on the floor situated near the elevator and utility closets which held the towels, sheets, toilet paper etc and on at least 7 mornings of the eleven that we stayed at the hotel, I had to ask them to keep their voices down. On one particular morning, there must have been a heated disagreement because these folks were speaking at the highest decibel manageable! I pleaded in Efik (the local dialect), I demanded quiet in English, the next day, I got a repeat performance. DO NOT STAY IN ANY OF THE ROOMS THAT STARTS WITH 01, E.G 501, 601, 701 ETC. They are near the utility closet, you will GET NO SLEEP!

The hotel did not have a computer center but they could not provide a strong, wireless service connection. They are losing money to neighboring hotels who have a computer center, we had to go to Channel View in order to type and print a business proposal for an impromptu opportunity that arose for my husband.

The air quality in the lobby, restaurant and bar was very poor.

All in all, the best thing about the hotel is the location. I would suggest that they implement some activities to keep people interested and keep the money in the hotel. Mirage and Channel View offer karoake for the quest and both have a small area with a dj for dancing. The Metropolitan can do the same for the guest at least once a week, it became excruciatingly boring staying there but thankfully, I am from the area and was able to find other places that offered activities.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ProudlyCalabargirl

Dear Madam,

Reviewed 25 December 2010

The hotel has been rebranded as the Transcorp Metropolitan Hotel and Conference. The food is great but room service is slow, clean hotel, dedicated staff, close proximity to d stadium, govt, house, 15 mins drive to the airport, safety is assured

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris529

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We are so happy that you enjoyed the Transcorp Hotels experience; particularly confirming the hotel's proximity to the airport, government house, football stadium, good and enjoyable food, etc. We further appreciate your comment on our facility and staff dedication to service.

Please be informed that Transcorp Hotels has undergone a lot of transformation on the facility and service delivery in recent years. We believe that you will have no cause for further complaint (slow rooms service) when next you visit Transcorp Hotels, Calabar

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed on business after two enforced stays at Channel View. They had a "special rate" for Nigeria's 50th anniversary celebrations; the flat rate was comparable to inferior places in the rest of the town, but once you added the "plus plus" on top, it hiked it up considerably.

reverting to the normal rate (adding the "plus plus" of course) put it out of my expenses range, but it was by far the best place I've stayed in Nigeria: intelligent staff, scrupulously clean, decent plumbing (though when I asked for a plug for the bath, a man mysteriously turned up at my door with a ladder. Never did get my much-needed bath). I didn't eat there as it was horribly expensive, though I had a shoddy breakfast one morning of a dry croissant with a mysterious salty brown filling that even the staff couldn't identify.

I'd definitely stay there again if it's on expenses, couldn't afford to pay myself.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank melita666

Dear Melita666,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We are so happy that you enjoyed the Transcorp Hotels experience; particularly confirming our superiority in the city of Calabar and good value for money. We further appreciate your comment of our hotel cleanliness.

Please be informed that Transcorp Hotels has undergone a lot of transformation on the facility and service delivery in recent years. We work hard to maintain a friendly and efficient service delivery and sincerely hope to welcome you again at Transcorp Hotels, Calabar.

Reviewed 17 May 2010

This is the best hotel in Calabar. The only international standard hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We are so happy that you enjoyed the Transcorp Hotels experience; particularly identifying us as the number one hotel in the city of Calabar. We very much appreciate it.

Reviewed 17 December 2008

I was extreamly surprised by the quality of service and accomodation, perfect room setting and amenities it's a real 5 star international standard applied in Calabar, the food is perfect especially the continental dishes you feel like you're in Europe, lot of facilites and perfect services. we had a buffet lunch it was great, and our meeting in the Pearl meeting was wonderfull wew up to 350 participants.The cost of my trip was a bit high but it worth the experience of enjoying proffesional hospitality in Calabar. Try it, it's something else.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Micheal H

Dear Michael K,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We are so happy that you enjoyed the Transcorp Hotels experience; particularly identifying us with 5star rating in the city of Calabar. We very much appreciate it.

Please be informed that Transcorp Hotels has undergone a lot of transformation on the facility and service delivery in recent years. We will continue to work hard to maintain a friendly and efficient service delivery and sincerely hope to welcome you again at Transcorp Hotels, Calabar.

Reviewed 5 December 2008

I was in this Hotel from 22/11/08 thrue 29/11/08, the place is fine, the rooms are beautiful, but the internet connexion was very slow. The food was not terrible.

But all is to expensive for this hotel.

All dishes more then 2000 ngn.

I never saw a expensive hotel like this in my life.

I was there for business.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Dear Foxy,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. We are so happy that you enjoyed the Transcorp Hotels experience.

Please be informed that Transcorp Hotels has undergone a lot of transformation on the facility and service delivery in recent years to ensure our guests continue to enjoy good value for money.

Nuhu Sani - Guest Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabar
Tinapa Lakeside Hotel
520 Hotels Asdam Lodge & Spa
Jacaranda Suites
Jacaranda Suites
#1 of 132 in Calabar

Been to Transcorp Hotels? Share your experiences!