“Friendliest host you will find”
Review of Hostal Jose Ramon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Clara
Hostal Jose Ramon
Ranked #21 of 49 Santa Clara B&B and Inns
Whistler, Canada
“Friendliest host you will find”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Jose will do his utmost to make you feel at home in Santa Clara, and is always ready to answer questions, recommend places to see, restaurants to visit and help organise further travel arrangements for your trip in Cuba. In other words: the perfect host. Traveling as vegetarians, it was sometimes hard to find good food in Cuba, but at Jose's we also got one of the best meals of the trip.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank astrid_elvira

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I made a reservation at this hostel two weeks before my arrival date for a 10 day stay and spoke to Jose (--) personally and told him what I was looking for. I wanted an apartment with a working kitchen. He told me that was no problem, the kitchen was equipped for this. The afternoon before I was supposed to arrive I received a call and he told me he did not want anyone staying at the hostel using the kitchen facilities. He was afraid of fires and he made more money by providing meals. He was cancelling my reservation. That would be fine if he had told me this before I made plans to stay here. Because it was so late I could not find any other accommodations in Santa Clara because it was high season so I had to change my plans and book something in Varadero. This totally ruined my vacation. I have stayed in several apartments over the years in Santa Clara without incident so to say I was shocked and saddened by this news was putting it mildly. This type of behaviour is rare but beware. I am writing this so that other people who want to stay here do not have the same bad experience and have a ruined vacation like I did.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank Stormdme
josetur, Propietario at Hostal Jose Ramon, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
I do not know you .I do not written with you. We will never have offered you the kitchen and the apartment. Our hostal is open to the world and we always have good communication with our clients and we never deceive and lied the tourists will be our main premise.
Cork
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here on a recommendation from our tour guide in Havana for 2 nights. It was fantastic. Jose Ramon and his family were extremely welcoming and friendly. You get the whole first floor to yourself and a terrace with some nice chairs to relax in after a days sightseeing. I cannot recommend enough eating here. It was the best food we had in Cuba hands down. Jose Ramons mother does all the cooking and she is a fantastic cook. I wish I could have brought her home with me we had the pork 1 night and chicken the other absolutely delicious. Nothing was too much trouble for Jose our bus was at 7am so he arrived at 6.20am to give us breakfast and make sure the taxi arrived for us. He organised the taxi driver on our second day to bring us to all the sights in Santa Clara for a half day. It is well worth doing it and really cheap. Overall I would come back here in the morning if I could and stay a bit longer with the ever smiling Jose Ramon and his lovely family

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee085
Oberaltertheim, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Hostal Jose Ramon was a recomment of my casa particulare - family in Playa Rancho Luna and I'm very thankfull for this insider-tip! The house is nice, the appartment big (good for families, couples or a group of friends... the whole first floor is available for onesselves) and clean and the terrace is amaizing with it's great view over the roofs of St. Clara! The welcome of the family was very friendly and everybody was very helpful and nice! Unfortunatelly I didn't have a long time in St. Clara and José Ramon's Hostel... I think I could have spend more days there!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lena G
Richmond, IN
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My friend and I were on our way back to Havana from Santiago and decided to spend some time in Santa Clara to break up the bus ride, and I am so glad we did! Jose Ramon met us at the bus station, even though it was the middle of the night and arranged for transportation for us back to the hostal. When we got there it was beautiful, very spacious, fresh, with a balcony, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. He brought an amazing breakfast in the morning. Besides being very welcoming and friendly, everything was also very clean and professional. If you get a chance sit down and have a conversation with them do it! That was one of the highlights of our stay. They are also very knowledgeable about the city and working with travelers, Jose Ramon even arranged a low cost taxi to take us from Santa Clara to Havana, who was also a very friendly, professional fellow. I wish we could have stayed more than one short night, there was more to see in Santa Clara and this hostal was a breath of fresh air on our travels. I highly recommend staying at Hostal Jose Ramon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rosalyn E
Fort Wayne
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My stay at Jose Ramon Hostal in Sta Clara was a breath of fresh air. After having been on a bus from Santiago, Cuba for more than 12 hours, and arriving at somewhere around 230 in the morning, the smiling face of Jose Ramon greeted me and my travel companion as we hauled our packs onto our backs.
Jose was recommended to us by another Casa in another city in Cuba and we found that this was the best way to get around - traveling from Casa to Casa and taking the recommendations of the owners of Casas as they got to know us pretty well during our stay usually. We only had one day to see things in Sta Clara and Jose Ramon and his family made sure that we were rested, fed, and got to see everything we wanted to, as well as arranging transportation for us back to Havana by that same night. They even made us a hearty afternoon snack at the last minute so that our stomachs would not be empty as we made our way back to Havana that evening.
The apartment was spacious, with high ceilings, windows, and even an upstairs terrace. The bed was comfortable, shower and bathroom and the rest of the apartment were very clean, and the food was not only delicious but also more than adequate to fill our tummies.
As two college students, we had a variety of living experiences in Cuba before arriving to this Hostal and Jose Ramon and his family made us immediately feel safe and comfortable, being two young women traveling alone. Jose Ramon and his family were also very helpful

We highly recommend staying here, and for more than a night if you can!

Room Tip: NA - one upstairs apartment that you'll have all to yourself or yourselves :)