“Lovely hosts”
Review of The Inn On The Bay

The Inn On The Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Marigot Bay
Reviewed 3 April 2013

These guys are great, very personable, very chatty, and made us feel very welcome. I had a ton of advice thrown my way in the first ten minutes! (all gratefully received)

Will drop in again when we next visit St Lucia! Thanks Normand and Louise.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I now understand why virtually all of the reviews regarding The Inn on the Bay as a lodging choice and more particularly the graciousness of the Innkeepers Normand and Louise are so exceptional. The Inn is high on a bluff overlooking the magical Marigot Bay. You look to the west to see the bay open onto the Caribbean Sea and to the east to the bay. The views change throughout the day and night and you find yourself just enjoying the comings and goings within the bay. I was astounded by some of the vessels that docked there from all over the world. Mornings are on the north side with the bay view and typically everyone eats together and shares island adventures as well as a bit about their lives away from paradise. There are fresh local fruits and juices and Louise cooks fresh muffins or breads every morning. There are 5 rooms so it never feels noisy or crowded. I was the lone solo and lone American at the Inn for the week I was there. There were younger and older couples there from the UK, Canada, and France. People do what they wish during the day and then all meet on the south deck to watch the sunset and talk about their day. It was a very nice social setting which added to the beautiful physical setting.

Normand and Louise take care of literally everything. They advise and make all arrangements for day trips and meals. I sat down with them to talk about things I might want to do and places I might want to visit. They gave me suggestions and helped me plan out my week. It really was like having a concierge service all focused on you! Beyond their local knowledge and reputation on the bay, they are just very nice people. Fun and interesting to talk to and very warm in all of their dealings with everyone. Normand gives you a ride down to the bay for your evening meal. When you settle your bill you just ask the folks at the restaurant to call and within minutes Normand arrives to take you back up to the Inn.

It really was a perfect time for me. It was a nice combination of relaxing around the Inn and doing some sightseeing around the beautiful island. I intend to go back soon. I would highly recommend the Inn to couples or solos who are looking for a small, quiet, and comfortable setting with wonderful views and extraordinary hosts.

The Bay has several eating places with a good variety of choices and prices.

Mike P.
Missouri, USA

Room Tip: All rooms face the north with the Bay view. No AC but always a nice breeze that high up on the bluf...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We had a fantastic time staying with Norman and Louise. For someone looking for a quiet retreat away from the larger resorts this was just the ticket. Direct access to a secluded swimming area, beautiful views all around the bay and a delicious breakfast every morning. Norman and Louise were fantastic hosts; ferrying us around the bay, advising on the best eateries and helping us to arrange trips. We would definitely recommend the trip.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas C
Reviewed 16 March 2013

As a single female travelling alone, I was looking for something less impersonal than your regular hotel, and boy did I find it!

Upon my arrival "Uncle" Norm & Louise welcomed me and immediately made me feel at home, by offering me the use of their internet phone so I could call home to say I had arrived safely. The room was very clean, with a recently renovated bathroom. The rooms are without A/C, but like so many others have mentioned, the wonderful cross breeze keeps it at a very comfortable temperature.

Each morning I was spoiled with fresh fruit, cheeses and Louise's freshly baked muffins. Each nite, I was chauffeured by Norm to a restaurant in the bay, where he would drop me off at the door and then arrive back within minutes after I had the restaurant call him when I was finished. As a solo female, I never once felt unsafe.

Norm is very knowledgeable of the entire island and was great at giving suggestions for all the "must sees". He does a great job at introducing everyone to each other, so you get to know the other guests and I never felt like an odd ball being alone :) My favourite thing to do was to sit on the back deck overlooking the ocean as the sun set and read. I will definitely be back here, hopefully next time not alone as it is also one of the most romantic places I've been!

Thank you so much Norm and Louise, you are both truly an amazing couple offering a home away from home in a tropical paradise.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank SuzInVA
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The first thing we noticed when we arrived at Inn on the Bay where the amazing views! The Inn is surrounded by extraordinary sunsets and views of Marigot Bay. When we met Normand and Louise they greeted us as if we where family and instantly welcomed us into the Inn. Our room was private, clean, and well maintained and with your own private entrance. Outside of our room was a wonderful pool with a breathtaking view. Norman helped us with all of our activities and even drove us down to the town and picked us up after dinner. Also, everyone in Marigot Bay knows Normand so you are given extra special treatment and everyone accepts you as part of the local town. (They will even call him for you to pick you up after dinner!) It’s nice to feel welcome when you’re visiting a country that has a lot of tourism. Another thing that surprised us was the fantastic breakfast we got every morning. On a island where fruit grows everywhere it’s so refreshing to eat fresh local produce and homemade muffins in the morning. One of the best meals we had in St. Lucia was at the Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay. Normand recommended it and you have to take a little ferry boat to get there. The food and service was amazing and it was very small and romantic. Also, their “bar” area is a patio overlooking the bay with giant koi swimming in view. It was truly amazing. When we traveled to St. Lucia we stayed in 3 parts of the island and that was a great choice for us. Marigot Bay was unique and a wonderful stop along the trip.

If you’ve read this entire review I can not say enough wonderful things about Normand and Louise. They really create an amazing welcoming experience for their guests. Definitely stay here because not only will you adore Marigot Bay but you will have a much richer experience than staying at a bigger resort. They have even made us wonder if we could run and Inn like this one day. Thank you Normand and Louise for everything and we wish you all the best in the future.

Kelly + Neil

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The many many reviews are right, Normand and Louise are the real deal. We've visited over 80 countries and stayed in countless hotels and these two are possibly the best hoteliers I've ever been lucky enough to be hosted by. They are friendly and so welcoming, talkative, but not invasive, and know the area and the island that has been their 'back yard' for 15 years intimately. Ever description and recommendation was spot on, we never felt that we were being sent only to their friends, and unlike other hosts, they were willing to give us the mediocre feedback that some places (from appearance) deserved.

The Inn is a great property with amazing views. Breakfast was simple, but fresh fruit and yoghurt and Louise's daily baked good plus some tasty coffee are perfect for the tropical climate. And Normand's 'taxi' service ("12,001 trip so far") make getting up and down the 90m from the harbour a breeze. Normand even showed up without us 'calling' for a return journey - a welcome surprise (LOL).

Our only complaint was having only 4 days!

So, don't procrastinate or do more research to find an alternative, if Marigot Bay (and Michener is right!) is your destination, try to reserve one of their few rooms asap to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: Some rooms at either end of the property offer slightly more privacy
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This is the highest rated hotel on the island for several reasons. The inn sits high on a peninsula, overlooking the very scenic Marigot Bay and a smaller bay behind. It is small, intimate, five rooms, with a host and hostess you have to experience to believe. Anything you need, anything you need arranged, Normand will take care of it, suggest it if you don't know about it. He is an institution in the area. Louise provides the delicious breakfasts. The other guests are another big plus. We had various backgrounds (UK, US, Canada our week) but all had similar interests and often did excursions together, which added to the fun and divided the costs. We would get together by the pool in the late afternoon, then shift to the back deck to watch the sunset and the mythical green flash. Sometimes some of us would have dinner or lunch together. It really felt like a private club, relaxing, fun, a perfect vacation.

Room Tip: The upstairs room is more private, but more stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to The Inn On The Bay? Share your experiences!