“A warm breezy sail complete with Humpback Whales”

Bateau Mygo Sailing Charters
Merritt Island, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A warm breezy sail complete with Humpback Whales”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Captain Kevin and Mate Mark sailed the 6 of us along the west coast from south of the Pitons to Margiot Bay during a wonderful day filled with sparkling seas, snorkeling, great views, and 2 humpback whales, which dived in front of us several times. Our lunch at a restaraunt in Margiot Bay was delicious and Kevin prepared some locally caught seafood to go with our meal. The beverages and snacks on board were plentiful and good. The crew were extremely friendly and accomodating to all of our requests. We had an enjoyable and fun sail.

Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“olives are not the only fruit”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We arrived 10am Chateau Mygo our ‘pick-up time’ the boat was still being prepared. We loitered for the next 15mins before following Frank to his office to pay the remainder of the bill.
“Your with my best crew. You’ll see turtles” he assured us.
“You can’t promise that.” Nature doesn’t always cooperate. He insisted it was guaranteed as they’d been spotted all week.
We were introduced to the 2man crew Randy & Kevin who courteously escorted us to the boat engaging in pleasantries as we set off, we found some common ground before getting down to business:
“What do you want to do?” asked Kevin
“See things” I replied
“Snorkel?”
“A little, but other stuff too. We read about a shell beach, sounded interesting” my boyfriend reiterated this saying we’d bought reef shoes especially.
“We’ll take you along the shore to the Pitons, has good snorkelling” -sounded like a good place to start.
When they urged us onto the deck I informed them we’d never been on a boat like this before “its fine if you always hang on” they said, so we did. On deck the sun was intense our pale frames soon had to retreat back to the semi-shade of the table & seating area, feeling lucky to be there when gusts of wind tilted the boat dramatically, Kevin was quick to explain the phenomena. So far so good. I even spotted a flying-fish.
Sensing we were near our destination I visited the loo, had to come out to ask where the paper was which caused confusion, it was in the cubbyhole farthest from the toilet which I hadn’t looked in of course though I had found bits of grime I wish I hadn’t. Loo-roll in hand I wasn’t fully comfortable with Randy wandering around on deck as the window above me was open, but hey-ho.
When I emerged we were moored. They gave some safety advice as the wind was strong, said they’d be watching all the time ready to rescue us in the dingy should trouble ensue & provided me with an appreciated buoyancy jacket. They were not amused at my trepidation & questions about sharks.
Before my partner jumped into the sea Randy shouted over “Did you want chicken or fish for lunch?” Tradition dictates we share a vegetarian meal on my birthday, my boyfriend Jon had been assured we’d be catered for as vegetarians, his shock was visible. When the situation was explained they said a veggie meal was “no problem” Jon agreed to have chicken before continuing to snorkel. I dallied around the boat. Both crew members disappeared into the hull where they started cursing their boss & making tense phonecalls.
As I started to snorkel Kevin left on the rescue-dingy to get a meal from an onshore restaurant leaving a dismayed looking Randy in the kitchen. No-one was taking any notice of us. I returned to the boat shortly after Kevin grateful they had sorted the issue. My boyfriend came back later at which point a couple of plates were thrown on the table things were starting to go wrong, we tucked in once they stopped spinning.
I felt a bit seasick. My food was tepid but nice, it was hard to convince my stomach it would help so took me ages to get through. When we finished Kevin emptied our half-cleared plates into the sea “for the fishes”. On asking what was next we were told we’d be taken to another snorkeling spot, I really didn’t fancy jumping straight back into water so asked if we could go to land somewhere, anywhere, it didn’t need to be “private hehe”. That shell beach?
The boat was stopped just around the corner it took 45mins to anchor at one point Randy had to don snorkeling gear & jump in. Both crew were avoiding eye-contact with us. Kevin told us where not to snorkel, we reminded him that land was needed he pointed at the beach (Anse Cochon?) a few metres from us. Of course that would do.
Having digested on land I was finally ready for the rum punch I’d frequently turned down that morning, knowing we were out until ‘shortly after sunset’ I wanted to take it easy. I had to wait until Randy finished feeding the Sgt Majors his ginger biscuits though. The next stop was another nearby snorkeling point. We were told to relax, take our time & that they’d of course be watching.
We went along the small stretch of rocks taking a few photos before heading back. I was surprised to see Kevin dangling over the boat tapping his watch. I felt guilty that maybe we’d ruined sunset plans, he thought he’d lost us, though we hadn’t gone nearly as far as we’d been told we could. Back onboard Jon went to get his glasses which he’d left inside.
“Hey, hey, hey! Your wet man” Kevin yelled. Jon apologised & asked Randy who was already below deck to pass them up. They knew we weren’t boat folk, hanging-on aside no-one had mentioned any rules to us.
I ordered my 2nd rum punch, Randy bought out a plate of snacks; a fried chicken thing, olives & some dry carrot batons, I nibbled, Jon didn’t. We were heading back the way we’d come. There’d been a weird atmosphere since lunch the lazy haze of the afternoon felt as though it could soften everything. I got changed so as not to be cold later aware it would make me feel bad. I had plenty of time recover, & tried to re-engage Kevin by mentioning this. He said it only affected him in massive storms, muttered comments about friskiness, getting us to relax, pointed out a rainbow & how it might indicate a good tip. When he mentioned sparkling wine I told him we were saving it for sunset. Randy had kept a low profile below deck after the 2nd stop, kitchen duties aside he seemed to spend a lot of time looking at his phone.
Détente was broken by a loud air-raid siren. Where was it coming from, did we need to panic? “Radio” Kevin said, then as if to distract us pointed out to sea “that’s where the turtles are”. After scanning the empty ocean I asked if there were any tips to spotting them, the answer was a disengaged “nah”.
With sunset over an hour away we realised we were turning back into Marigot Bay “take the sparkling wine with you” was Kevin’s response to our looks of confusion, I repeated we were to drink it at sunset, he concentrated on steering. Nearing the shore he muttered “you had too much rum punch & was sick”.
Randy had to reappear to help the inelegant drop back to shore. Kevin flung the Argentinean ‘Sparkling Champagne’ which accompanies the ‘Full Day Sunset Cruise’ into Jon’s hand as we hurried off. We were back in our hotel & showered by sunset, not that it mattered it rained at sunset o’clock.
We spent that evening analyzing what went wrong coming up with the following the truth is probably a mixture of them all:
• The crew seemed to not want to work on a Sunday.
• Were we invading their space by not sitting out on the deck. This didn’t deter them from discussing imminent court-cases, girls or being detrimental about various local men we passed.
• Anger at their boss for forgetting about the veggie meal got transferred to us.
• The hope of a tip disappeared with the lunch & anchor fiascos so they figured why bother.
• They figured we’d get drunk and want to return home early anyway.
• The plan for the day/timings were already arranged no matter what we wanted to do.
• They just didn’t like us.
Not wanting to drag the unpleasantness out through our holiday & knowing we wouldn’t feel welcome to enjoy the meal which was bound to be offered as compensation we avoided Chateau Mygo. Jon sent an email of complaint when we got home & was told that our boat had come back early because of bad weather which should have been communicated to us. After a 2nd email he was refunded $50USD presumably for the meal mix-up. I don’t think Frank realises just how unwelcome we were made to feel aboard Bateau Mygo.
Don’t think the expense & the many amazing reviews mean you’re guaranteed a great day.

Visited January 2013
Montreal, Canada
“A (very) late, but great review”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We set up a private charter w frank in march 2012. He answered all of my many emails regarding planning and change of dates and in case of rain etc. my husband and another couple all had a blast. We had beer, water, punch and snacks and did not run out all day. We had booked a few hour sail down to the pitons and loved it. We were all the way north at the sandals, but to optimize water time we got picked up by car and were able to sail right down to the pitons. We snorkeled where we wanted, and when we got out and the snorkel area was invaded by jellyfish our captain jumped overboard and went to check out other locations for us. We had locals comeup to the boat and our crew were able to get us fresh coconuts that they prepared just as they had them as kids, with fresh sugar (that they told us they would steal from their mothers kitchens growing up)
Couldn't have asked for a better day, we even came back an hour later then planned as we were all having a great time!!

Visited April 2012
Wichita, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best Day in St. Lucia”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The four of us were picked up at the Landings and enjoyed a full day adventure. Captain & Crew were fabulous and full of helpful information. Food was superb and a great time was had by all. I highly recommend this for your first day on the Island.

Visited February 2013
Arnolds Park, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“a whole new experience!”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is a great way to relax and view the island. First time sailers may have a bit of fear, as did I, but shortly departure the crew made us feel so comfortable. Sitting on the front of the boat deck enjoying the views with ease. We did the day trip, food they prepaired while snorkling was great, plenty of good drinks aboard. Great tour guides well worth it.

Visited February 2013