“Lovely to be on the sea for half a day”

Bateau Mygo Sailing Charters
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Lovely to be on the sea for half a day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was initially nervous about booking this charter because of the poor reviews in recent months, but the two other groups I had been considering fell through (one wouldn't pick us up on the south side of the island - many of these charters are located in the north; the other just stopped responding) so I booked Bateau Mygo with my fingers crossed.

Things turned out great. While we initially were aiming for a sailing lesson / instruction, it ended up being light on the instruction but we were fine with that - it was just nice to be on the water. Captain Kevin and his mate let me steer the boat for as long as I wanted, but ultimately I just liked lying around drinking champagne while they regaled us with stories and factoids of St Lucia and the Caribbean. You can book the private charter for up to 4 pax (+the captain/mate), so I was hoping to find another couple to split the cost with us...glad I didn't though because it turned out better with just 2 passengers + the captain/mate. The boat was about 30-40 ft long, and just right for the number of us sailing. Lunch consisted of tuna wraps and fruit, but our sail went from 9am - 1.30pm and we arrived with a stomach full on breakfast so we weren't really picky about food. They had snacks on board and a bar with their island-famous spiced rum too (80 proof, don't drink & sail!).

All in all, a nice way to spend half the day, and if you do the morning sail you'll still have the entire day ahead of you after you're done!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Vicky W

Telluride, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“One of our trip's highlights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We chartered a half day trip with Capt. Kevin and his mate, whose name escapes me, but he was a really friendly guy. Both of them made for an excellent trip and the mate was a very knowledgable guide to the area. We learned about sailing and had the freedom to pretty much make our own agenda within our time frame. It was very nice to see the island from the water, and not have to deal with a large party boat. This was worth the money, at $400usd for the half day. After snorkeling, they provided us with some chicken fingers and a plate of fresh fruit. All the booze was included too. The light lunch and drinks were more than enough for us.

I'd recommend this trip for any couple or small group that wants to get out and enjoy a nice sail apart from the large catamaran tours.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Cameron B
Metairie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Con Artists at Bateau Mygo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have read some reviews after returning from St. Lucia and it seems the Catamaran is always having some mechanical problems. We booked a Catamaran evening sail with a lobster dinner. The cost was $750 and if I had a regular sail boat the same lobster dinner and cruise was only $500. I received an email stating everything was ready to go for our dinner cruise. When we arrived at the dock I was told the Catamaran was having mechanical problems ad we had to go on one of the regular sailboats. That is fine but I would like my difference of $250 back. Amazingly Frank no longer answered my calls nor returned any emails and nope I never got my $250 back. The crew were amazing just a shame they work for a con artist. Oh, and we did not get lobster for dinner as promised we were served some fish and some other lame excuse was made up for that. St. Lucia is a beautiful place and our vacation there was fantastic. If you want a fun, romanitc, or serene sailing trip I recommend do not book with Bateau Mygo, you will too upset at the dock to relax and enjoy. Definitely do not book the Catamaran. If you like the feeling of being reeled in and taken advantage of then book with them otherwise, so many other tours which were much more enjoyable. I have seen other reviews like mine of this place, so if people do their research it wil not be long before it has to change its ways or sell out to an honest person.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Michael L
Indianapolis, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Gourmet Lunch is NOT served on the boat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had an almost perfect day with Londi and Nixon, however, the Gourmet Lunch advertised as included was not served on the boat, but at Chateau Mygo dockside restaurant in Marigot Bay.
It was a choice of two items, and although the food was very good, it was served at a typical Caribbean pace while we viewed our $100 per hour Flagship Catamaran moored 50 yards away.

All in all, it was a lovely experience sailing along the west coast of one of the most scenic islands in the Caribbean.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Bill W
Hugo, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Be sure to make alternate plans - they were a "no show" -”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We were scheduled for a catamaran daysail for 8 people on February 6 - I just now read the most recent reviews, and exact same thing happened to us!!! I spoke directly with Frank on February 2 or 3 and everything was all set. But on February 6 we waited for over an hour and the catamaran was a "no show". When we got home we found they had sent us an email the day before the reservation, saying they were having mechanical issues with the catamaran and had to cancel. I tried calling both numbers on their web several times on Feb. 6 when they didn't show up, and continuously got only voicemail. Funny thing, we had a view of the ferry dock (where we were supposed to catch the catamaran) from our ship stateroom, and I saw one of their catamarans going to the ferry with a load of people later on in the afternoon that day. What a scheme - definitely make alternate plans for your day if you make a reservation!!!!! I am just disgusted that someone can get away with this and ruin people's vacations. They said we will receive a full refund. We haven't yet, but I will definitely be checking on that.

Visited February 2014