“Exceptional Eating Experience”

Rainforest Hideaway
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the waterfront in a bay described by American travel writer, James Michenor, as the "most beautiful bay in the Caribbean" - Rainforest blends into the mangroves and has been described in the Wall Steet Journal as one of the most romantic restaurant locations in the world. Serving Sophisticated Caribbean food in a rustic and casual atmosphere - with service and food standards to match any international restaurant - the theme of Rainforest is "Magical Dining in Marigot Bay". Let it be the highlight experience of your St Lucia vacation. Now open every night of the week in High Season and five nights in Summer. Live Jazz on 5 nights - Monday, Wednesday Thursday, Friday and Saturday all year round. Special Taxi arrangements from Rodney Bay - call 286 0511 or 451 4485 for Taxi details
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We were staying at the nearby B&B owned by the proprietors of the restaurant and so ate here three times over the course of our two week stay. The food was by far the best we ate in St Lucia, and the location was stunning. We just needed to walk down from our room, but other guests arrived on a free ferry to the private jetty alongside the restaurant. Pre-dinner drinks were taken on the deck by the illuminated lagoon, watching the fish swimming in front of us, then we moved to the open-sided restaurant where we saw the stars pop out as the sky darkened above us - magical! The food was an interesting Caribbean/Western fusion such as meat or fish dishes garnished with banana or mango salsa. The puddings were lovely, especially the chocolate tart (St Lucia has the best chocolate in the world) and the bananas with caramel and Rum and Raisin Ice Cream - simple perfection from local ingredients. The prices were fixed for two or three courses, but we found that two courses were ample for us, especially as the chef sent complimentary amuses bouches to the table while we were waiting for our main courses to arrive. Twice (on Wednesday and Saturday) there was live music - a mix of blues and jazz, provided by Emerson and the Empress. Especially on the jazz evenings the restaurant was quite full, whereas at every other restaurant we went to in St Lucia there was hardly anyone else there, a testament to the deservedly high reputation of the Rainforest Hideaway, so I would recommend making a reservation, even in the low season.
This unique restaurant, nestled in the mangroves in beautiful Marigot Bay is well worth a visit.

JohnVerity, Owner at Rainforest Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Janice T

Thanks for you very positive and informative review of Rainforest - and for staying with us at Mango Beach Inn - only a few yards from Rainforest. We like Swanage too - so maybe we will come and stay at your guest house next time we are in England.....

Reviewed 4 December 2013

OMG forget the rest book a table at the best!!
we have eaten in all the fancy restaurants, claridges london, matt morans place
in sydney, jamie oliver in leeds, gordon ramsey london & vegas, wynn steakhouse las vegas, wolfgang puck..several locations!!
non compare to the totally wonderful meal we ate here in st lucia.
my husband had lamb....cooked to perfection...i had tenderloin (filet) it was the best steak
i have ever had...EVER.. had mango parfait (my husband enjoyed it) and i had creme brulee...was beautiful
perfect end to a perfect meal. we both had cocktails that actually was not the best we had but it didnt
change the fact that the meal and setting was perfect. Do yourself a favour...BOOK IT!!!!

reservations esential...we didnt book but was lucky to be squeezed in...the manager was very accomodating and a genuine nice guy.

we liked it so much we re-booked.

1  Thank gorgeouspaula

Dear gorgeouspaula

I get the impression that you enjoyed Rainforest....! I hope your second visit worked out as well...

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I ate here one night while staying at nearby Ti Kaye resort and easily enjoyed the most superb meal of our entire holiday.
I had emailed John Verity, the owner, before travelling as I was worried that Rainforest might be closed on the days we were at Ti Kaye. He absolutely went out of his way to make arrangements for our dinner and could not have been more helpful. On the night, we had organised our own water taxi from Ti Kaye (don't use the one arranged by the hotel - it is ridiculously expensive!) and arrived just after sunset (ask John - he knows the exact sunset and moonrise times!) After enjoying a glass of wine in the bar area by the lit up "aquarium", we were led to our table right at the water's edge. Our starters (chowder for my husband and the most excellent crab cakes I have ever tasted for me) were lovely and good sized portions. The main course (swordfish for my husband and chilli prawns for me) just melted on the tongue and my white crème brulée just finished it all off nicely! Prices for both the two-course and three-course meal options are reasonable given the quality of the food, beauty of the location and standard of service. We certainly had a memorable dinner and would not hesitate to return if we visit St. Lucia again!

Dear NCVienna

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review of Rainforest. We are a little bit difficult to find - so we try whenever we can to give people directions - which is much easier when they contact us through the website rather than on the phone during service..

We get a lot of guests coming by boat - expensive - but by far the nicest way to arrive in Marigot and be delivered straight onto the Rainforest dock. Many times these trips are planned as a sunset cruise to us and a moonlight or starlight cruise back. Mrs V is actually the stargazer and found the website where, for any point on earth, you can get an exact sunset and moonrise time - for any day of the year...very necessary to get the timing right...!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Food was good but a bit expensive compared to other restaurants around even though we were told it was a very low price for the set meal as it was out of season. We didn't appreciate being asked after nearly every mouthful how our food was and at the end, from the waitress, how we liked the service. It spoilt our enjoyment of the place, which is actually a lovely location. If you want to charge these rates Rainforest, please please don't hassle your guests while they are eating. We would not go back to this restaurant.

2  Thank lindamoyler

Dear Lindamoyler

Thanks for your comments and I am very sorry that your experience was spoiled by over-active and intrusive service. We have recently increased staff in anticipation of the coming High Season - and some additional training is clearly required. If you look back through other reviews you will see that we are regularly praised for a high level of service which is not intrusive - so this is very out of character. I have discussed it with the General Manager and it will be corrected.

The comment about low prices "for a set meal... out of season" is totally incorrect - and further identifies that you were dealing with a new staff member. Our prices have not changed in over three years - and are the same year-round. I believe that we adopted the fixed price menu concept in late 2010 when we found many guests wanted to fix their financial exposure - given the conditions of the recession. I have found it to be a general St Lucian habit that people want to be helpful, even when they are uninformed....

I am truly sorry that your experiences was spoiled - but I appreciate you alerting us so that we can make the necessary corrections.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We saved this place for our last dinner and were not disappointed. The food was freshly made and served in perfect sized portions. The restaurant itself was uniquely decorated. Definitely a must stop place at least once. Pricing was not bad for a 3 course meal at all. It ended up being one of the cheapest places we ate but the food was delicious.

Dear Kellee K

Many thanks for your review. Wow - I often spend time justifying our prices to people who don't recognise our dependence on high-cost imports and expect dining in a third-world country to be cheaper than back home in Europe or the USA - but I don't think anyone has previously told us we were one of the cheapest dining option they had experienced in St Lucia...! I guess you must have been eating mainly in the higher-end hotels - where fine dining prices are considerably higher than Rainforest.

Despite our recent TripAdvisor listing in the Top Ten Fine Dining Restaurants in the Caribbean I had no intention of raising our prices - until we got your review... Just K kidding....!