“Terrible Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Sylvan Lake
Townsville, Australia
“Terrible Hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Beach Front “Resort” advertises family units with kitchens. This is definitely not a family hotel nor is it in any way a resort. The room smelt like mould and smoke, even though it was a non-smoking room. The rooms were dirty and not maintained and we could not sleep because the sheets were ripped and the walls kept creaking all night. None of our family got a good night sleep. It didn't help that other guests were drinking/smoking (tobacco and other substances) and talking until 2:30am, and it seemed OK by the management. The next morning cigarette butts littered the stairs and porch outside our room. This hotel is way over priced and we will not be staying or recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Rob C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lethbridge AB
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Beachfront resortearly March with our 4 year old daughter. We were visiting family in Sylvan and looked for something last minute. unfortunately every other hotel had no vacancy; which was strange considering it was mid-week and winter time. luckily they got us in at the little motel!
This was an awesome place to stay for the price! ..we only payed $75! The rooms aren't the most modern, but was simple, clean and had everything we needed that night, We had a separate bedroom, 2 beds, a kitchenette and was located right across from the lake. I loved waking up to the view in the morning. The staff was also very friendly!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Calgary
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Let me begin by saying that this is not somewhere you'll want to go for a romantic getaway. It is an older motel, and it's been years since it was updated. The furniture, paint, appliances etc. are all in need of updating, and I've seen cleaner places.

However, no one goes to Sylvan to hang out in the room, right? We went on a group trip — there were 8 of us — and we had a blast. Just think of it as camping, but indoors! The yard is a good size, and the fire pit is awesome. People who walked by the "resort" were clearly jealous of the space we had to play Bocce Ball and sit around the campfire.

The location is great- just walk right across the street to the beach. It's perfect because the beach is quite crowded and annoying to actually spend time at, so it's easy to just run across the street for a quick dip whenever you get too hot. Then, return to your "private" yard!

The family who runs the place are super nice and willing to help with anything! We felt very welcome there.

Tips:

-Parking is a bit of an issue... try to carpool. If that's not an option, there's a large parking lot just a couple minute walk down the road.
-B.Y.O. Chairs... the place doesn't have enough, and they're a hot commodity with the other guests! Avoid having yours scooped up by someone else; just bring your own.

Room Tip: The "2-Bedroom Suite" was booked by someone else, but it looked pretty great... updated, e...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Linner44
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was the most disgusting place I have ever stayed in. The building is run down, the stairs leading to upper level suites are rotting, the kitchen was sick and covered in dust and grease stains. I had to wash my own bedding because it was stinky dirty when my family arrived. The carpets smelled of mold. We paid in advance for the room and were told we had to give a 48 hour notice to vacate or we would be charged for 2 days wether we stayed or not. So we had no choice but to stay 2 nights. I asked them to clean the bathroom because there was urine on the toilet and the shower was full of sand and hair so obviously it was not cleaned before we checked in. They refused to clean it, the lady behind the front desk said she had already cleaned it. So I had to clean the bathroom myself. The stove had burnt food in the burner and it was a fire hazzard ubtil I cleaned those out as well. But the worst part of it was the red ants. My son and daughter 12 and 9 years old were covered in red ant bites after sleeping on the fold out beds in the living room. Don't waste your money on such a nasty place! You are better off sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank erin m

Travellers are raving about these Sylvan Lake hotels

Sherwood Park
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have never been so disappointed with a hotel. It was so dirty that when my family and I arrived my husband took the kids to the water so my daughter and I could clean before unloading our stuff. After and hour and a half of cleaning we were so tired and disgusted we tried to find another hotel that could fit the 7 of us and we had no luck. There was so much dust on everything we had to take the fans apart and clean them before turning them on. There was dried thick gummy pee on the bathroom floor, we had to clean the tub, counters, floors...........We had to ask for towels, had no dish soap, fridge was broken, drawers fell apart in the kitchen.......The most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. So run down and dirty it should be closed!!!!!DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!
How can a place like this continue to operate?????

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Loretta M
Calgary
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My family has been staying at this little motel for over 15 years thru three different owners and we had the worst experience ever there last summer. We had two rooms and they were so dirty we did not want to take off our shoes. The bedspreads which are not washed between customers were covered in stains and we had to take them to the front desk and ask them to wash them but this is not the worst.

The front desk let a car load of 5 drunk teens check in at 2 am after waking up the whole motel and yelling for over two hours. The next morning when the teens were leaving hold beer and yelling again I ran into the front office to ask them to call the police. The same people who had checked them in refused to call police even though they clearly were drunk again and driving with open beer. With the front desk refusing to call police as I began to scream at him that they were going to kill themselves and other on a crowded beach again he refused. My daughter was upstairs and called on her cell phone as I ran into a strangers room and called as well.

One of the kids from another room ran next door and everyone watched as the RCMP stopped the car at the Racoon lodge. The police impounded the car and lives might have been saved BUT NO THANKS to the staff at this motel. It used to be a safe family place but it is a trashy dump and even if they upgrade if they are checking in people drunk and letting them wake up the whole place and refusing to call police about drunk drivers I say this place at hit an all time low and my family will NEVER stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Karen W
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This motel is an older building but in pretty good shape. Our room was very clean, no issues at all. The rooms are fairly small but well equipped. This is not a resort in Cancun, it's a small motel in Sylvan Lake, keep that in mind. The view is great. There is a fire pit out front...it was great to sit by the fire and watch the sunset! The only issue we had was some young people partying until the wee hours of the morning. But Sylvan Lake is party central for kids and you have to deal with it. I'm sure a higher end resort wouldn't tolerate the noise, but for less than $100 per night, you know the kids are going to stay there. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Best Western Plus Red Deer Inn & Suites
Edgewater Inn
Edgewater Inn
#1 of 2 in Sylvan Lake

Been to Beach Front Resort? Share your experiences!