“Great, friendly and comfortable stay!”
Review of Hotel Miramonti

Hotel Miramonti
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Claviere
Scotland, Uk
“Great, friendly and comfortable stay!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My girlfriend and I had a great stay at the Miramonti at the end of March! We travelled and booked the Crystal Holiday through Thomson. We also had great snow.

Hotel - is a short 2 min walk from the main road up a hill and commands great views from the forward facing upper rooms. We had a room on the first floor with a forward facing balcony which gave us spectacular views across the valley to the mountain/ski slopes on the other side. The room was always warm, clean and spacious and is good for all you really needed it for which is sleep! The beds were comfy and there was enough space and storage space. The bathroom always had hot water whenever we needed it! The room also had a TV but we never used it. The public areas of the hotel were immaculate and well appointed with a lovely lounge area, bar area and dining area.

Amenities - The hotel has a bar with a tv, a large lounge area with sofas and a dry room in the basement for all your ski gear.

Breakfast and dinner - is held in the dining area. For breakfast you get a roll, a croissant and tea/coffee and you have a buffet of continental breakfast fare which you help yourself to including cereal, fruit, yogurts, biscuits, cold meat and cheese. I am a big eater and there is more than enough on offer to help you start your day! For dinner you get 4 courses, which normally included a starter of italian cold meats and roll, followed by a pasta and sauce course, followed by a main course then followed by a choice of pudding (fresh fruit, daily cake or cheese). Again, I was stuffed after dinner every time! The food was great home cooked fare and very tasty! For example, over the course of our week we had for main courses chicken, veal, pork, fish and sausages.

The staff - All very nice, friendly, helpful and welcoming! The manager Fulvia is very nice and she runs the Hotel with her brother who does the great cooking. As this is a family run business other members of their family are sometimes around and it gives the place a friendly relaxed atmosphere. Fulvia is a ski instructor and her nephew David is training to be a snowboard instructor and I’m sure either would be willing to give some pointers. I wish I knew of David’s expertise sooner as I may have paid him for a lesson to improve my technique! I’ll maybe do that next time as we will go again without a doubt! And lastly is the hotel dog Fiocco (fi-oko) which is a very apt name for a lovely friendly dog!

Experience: We met some really nice like minded guests during our stay and it made the stay very enjoyable and social during breakfast and dinner/evening. We also did the social ski with crystal reps on the first day and made friends with a big group of people who we and latterly my girlfriend skied with the rest of the week.

Unfortunately I had an accident on my second day and dislocated my collar bone so I ended up spending more time in the hotel than most! With my snowboarding days at an end I took advantage of the hotel lounge area and saw more of the town. With general chats with the staff and Fiocco it passed the time quickly and luckily I had brought my kindle! I just want to say a big thank you again to Fulvia as she drove me to and came back and picked me up from the emergency doctor clinic in Montgenevre to get my collar bone checked out. Without her I would have spent a very painful night not-sleeping awaiting the morning to go to the clinic by taxi as I had been informed by other parties that the clinic was closed after piste closure. However Fulvia knew better and offered to take me!

We visited Briançon in France one day which is a nice Castle town to go and walk around. Great views but expensive food. We found the cheap tea/coffee at the Cafe Du Champ De Mars (at the Champ de mars) I’d say half a day is enough time to go round the place and have lunch. Just watch out for the coaches as they are very unreliable! We got to the town ok (off at Champ de mars) but the return coach drove right past us with no stopping even though we were at the correct stop 20min ahead of time and had seats reserved for us on it. As it was the last coach we then had a horrible time trying to get a taxi home as no other public transport goes to Montgenevre/Claviere. Having no luck sorting a taxi ourselves we phoned our reps who sorted a taxi for us - Thank you James! So if you don’t want hit for a €60 taxi run (cheaper coz he knows James) then I’d advise you aim for the second last bus home to be safe.

The Claviere and Montgenevre slopes - had great snow and very quiet pistes, to the extent that we had them to ourselves some days! There is a lot of choice for all levels of skier. Skiers will probably prefer Claviere (narrower with little powder) and snowboarders who like to carve will prefer Montgenevre (wider with more powder) both are easily accessible from clavier however the piste maps for both resorts need to be taken with a pinch of salt! (not totally accurate and slightly confusing sometimes)

I would recommend the following places for lunch if you are in town - Mi-chi (does good food and coffee), Kilt (does great pizzas - possible best in town!) and Caffe Torino (does good tea/coffee and hot chocolate). There is also a nice bar down near the ski hire place on the way to the lower ski lift.

All in all we both had a great stay here and would thoroughly recommend it to our friends and family! Thank you Fulvia, her family and her staff for a great stay! We will be back!

Tips:
1 - If you are hiring ski gear ask the ski hire place if you can leave the gear there at the end of every day (there is a small charge for this) as this will save you carrying it to and from the hotel every day/night.

2 - If you find you can’t just switch off and enjoy your holiday and need wifi just ask Fulvia for it.

3 - If you visit Briançon just watch out for the buses as they are not reliable. Speak to the tourist information lady in advance (day before if possible) and ask her to reserve you seats on the bus to and from the city. I would also ask for the hotel phone number incase you have to phone them to arrange a taxi for you.

4 - If you are going with Crystal do the free social ski-ing on the first day with your reps (James and Mandi were great) it helps you get your bearings and you might form a good wee group of friends!

Hope you find this review useful!

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor at the front was excellent!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mikrew

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Popped over to Italy for a weeks skiing with Thomsons. The first impressions are good and public areas of the hotel were well presented. We were put in a small attic room, the last room at the top of 4 flights of stairs, this may have been because we booked late, but there were empty tables at meal times so I doubt the hotel was full. Any way the room was quite small with a sloping ceileng, a drain pipe running through the room, and a bit tatty. First night I sat on a bed to put my shoes on and it collapsed underneath me ( and I am not particularly over weight before any one jumps in with that comment :-) .
To be fair although we were not using that bed, it was replaced next day. Second evening, the shower blocked and flooded the bathroom and the lights on the landing outside the room were broken, meaning we had to go down a flight of stairs in the dark. Again to be fair this was all fixed during dinner. When the people next door had a shower, the plumbing was extremely noisy.
Food was OK, nothing startling. Breakfast was pretty small with one roll each, a croissant, cheapo cornflakes and some meat and cheese. I know this is standard continental fare, bit usually you can have as much rolls etc as you need, so by the time I was at the first chairlift, I was starving.
Dinner was quite good, 4 small courses, but adequate, only bad night was the night we had polenta. I don`t like Polenta and one course was Polenta and cheese and the main course was a tiny bit of beef and a small sausage with Polenta. and no veg .Needless to say I was hungry that night. I appreciate that it is my fault that I don`t like Polenta, but it made up about half of the meal that night.
On the plus side the staff and owner are very friendly and really helpful.
Would we go back ? To Claviere, probably, Hotel Miramonti definitely not. Maybe we were just unlucky with the small, tatty room, but it was enough to put us off.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Derbyshire
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Miramonti from Feb 23rd - March 2nd 2014, having stayed at the all inclusive Grand Claviere the previous year. We had a fantastic time at the Miramonti and met a
wonderful group of people there to talk, eat, drink and ski with! It was the best skiing holiday we have had, helped by the fantastic snow conditions- again!
The actual hotel is old fashioned but functional and welcoming- Fulvia is a lovely lady, very friendly and helpful with efficient staff , providing a nice atmosphere. Food was plentiful with 4 courses,at night with a continental breakfast The rooms are adequate, warm and there is plenty of hot water- we had a lovely view of the mountains on the second floor-no lifts available though- the only frustration is the sound of the diggers moving the snow at 6.30 in the morning- but all for a good cause I suppose!
It is only a short walk to the ski hire shop which is next to the slopes- we paid 15 Euros each to leave our boots and skis at the shop- so much easier as there is a trudge from the slope back to the hotel itself which is not a real problem, unless you are carrying skies and wearing ski boots!
The skiing itself is fantastic, we were blessed with lovely weather for most of the time. From Claviere you can access Montgenevre, Sestriere as part of the Milky Way area- advice would be to buy an area lift pass to give more flexibility to explore as the local pass only covers Claviere-suitable if you are a beginner but restricting if more advanced. We went and explored all over the area and had an amazing time with a group from our hotel- thanks Mat for the guiding and great company/ banter- helped make the holiday so much more memorable for everyone involved.
We went on some guided/ away days with the reps James and Mandi around Claviere and Sestriere which was great fun as they know the mountains so well.
Small tips/advice to bear in mind-we loved our gatherings at the restaurants on the mountains where we could relax and take in the atmosphere and enjoy the hot chocolate ( heavenly!) with the pizza/Panini- whatever you fancied. Our favourite restaurant on the slopes of Clavier was the Baita Gimont at the bottom of red 95- lovely food and setting and best toilet!!!- ask any of the ladies who experienced the "hole" in the floor toilet of some of the other restaurants!!!!
Anyway, rather than dwell on that aspect, we also loved to visit the Mi Chi bar on the way back to the hotel after skiing for the day-again, a lovely place to meet up and discuss the events of the day in a cosy, welcoming bar with the usual food and drink available to suit all tastes- we had an amazing pizza there one lunchtime!
To sum up, we cant wait to return to Claviere ( for the 3rd time ) next year- we would rather stay at the Miramonti as the Grand Claviere can be noisier and caters more for families with children with having the childcare based there. Claviere is a small town but there is excellent skiing with easy access to the slopes with little or no queuing, even at peak times. Hope to meet some of the lovely people again from this year!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a nicer view but there is no lift!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hedinghamclose
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We travelled with Crystal and discovered this little gem. A great wee rustic Italian hotel which is family run. It has the feel of a ski chalet and the group of people we met there were great.

We loved this place even though it was a walk every morning down to the slopes and a walk back in the evening (the beers helped). Get a locker at the ski hire (15 euros for the week) or be creative with where you leave your skis and boots after the first day.

The food was great. Very traditional italian with four course every night. Antipasta, pasta, meat and veg and a good selection of puddings. Breakfast was good too, with meats and cheese and hot hard boiled eggs.

We will definitely be back to see Fulvia and the team.

Room Tip: We had a room on the lower ground floor. Perhaps get one on an upper floor. Two very minor issues...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hull
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed 9th-16th Feb with my 18 year old son, booked through Crystalski. Yes, the walk up the road from where the bus drops you is a killer with luggage and boardbag, but there was a lady skier of 78 with a group of older ladies doing it, so it's doable! Greeted with a warm welcome and we were given what I think was one of the best views in the hotel, room 10. 2nd floor, which was draining after a day's snowboarding climbing 2 sets of stairs as no lift, and just about finished us off, but the view was worth it! (In the pics my sons finger is on our balcony).
The room itself was basic but very very adequate. Lovely and warm, incredible views and I don't know what people are fussing about, our shower was great! Hot water is very powerful. beds are lovely and comfy, rooms serviced (inc bed making) every day, towels provided and changed every other day, plenty of bedding although only 1 pillow which was not my usual but I coped. No coffee or tea making facilities in the room, I would take my own if staying here again.
Very lovely, friendly family atmosphere in the hotel. Many guests were meeting for pre-evening meal drinks in the lobby and socialising together. Some couples, some groups of males or females, some families with small children but never any issues with any.
Breakfast is the same every day, cold (no hot option) continental - croissants, yoghurts, (very dry, crusty!) breadrolls, cheese, ham, jams, choc spread, fruit, tea, coffee & a red fruit juice.
Evening meal was delish! 4 courses each night, first bread & antipasta, then a pasta course with breadsticks, then a meat course, then dessert. Beer is 4 euro a large glass tankard, wine 9 euro a bottle and up. Both very nice!
There's a boot room downstairs you enter the building via when coming in off the slopes.
The hotel is a short/steep walk up a narrow road off the main road, which coaches cannot access so getting there and back to the coach (in the middle of the night when leaving for us!) is 'interesting'.
We got 6-day passes for the Monts de Luna which allowed us to board Claviere AND Montgenevre areas, with 1 day allowed onto the wider Milky Way. There was plenty to go at for us for a week, but the only downsides of this trip for me were related to the ski areas. If you're a beginner or happy with a small area then you'll be absolutely fine. Also it's much better for skiers than boarders. Contrary to the piste maps, there is NO boardpark in Montgenevre. There's supposedly a half pipe, but it was closed the entire week we were there and we didn't even see it. Also one of the main lifts up the opposite side of the road at Montgenevre (Chalvet) to a sunnyside freeride area was closed the entire week, leaving only mainly blues to ride over that way. VERY disappointing as we could see the area would be amazing to ride, and the only way to get to it was a very long, almost vertical button lift.
Another issue for boarders is that to get back to Claviere riding you have to go RIGHT over the other side of Montgenevre and it's a really long way round. To get back from the bottom of the main lifts in Montgenvre you have to walk approx 15 mins round a cross country ski path.
The lifts are very slow we found, certainly not what we'd been lucky enough to experience in Grand Valira (MEGA fast!) last year, or Ports du Soleil previous to that.
The day we went to Sestriere we had to use lifts almost the entire way and it took about 1 hr 40 mins, ending in a very long, very annoying narrow, slow blue that went on for what seemed like miles. Once in Sestriere the lift back broke down and we almost had to pay 30 euros for a taxi back, however there's a FREE ski bus at 1.30pm that took us back to CESANA, where we could pick up working lifts again. Sestriere was rammed, queues were long, pistes were busy and tracked out and it was definitely not worth the journey. The whole ski area would certainly benefit from a massive overhaul of the lift system. That said, we had an absolutely cracking week's snowboarding, conditions were epic and we did loads of off-piste riding. Best runs we had were off the Rhodus (?) lift area, a day's heavy snow made the black run there incredible.
The Freeride area across at Querelay and Gondrans was amazing (although I got stuck in v deep powder!).
The slopes of Claviere/Montgenvre are deserted in comparison to anywhere else we've been. There were whole runs where we barely saw anyone else.
One more thing though, there's very few toilets around, one at the ski hire place on the slope at Claviere but it's not signposted and (I think) only for Crystalski bookers. Very few restaurants also on the slopes and those that there are seem to be in strange, difficult to access areas, where you have to walk up steep slopes to get to... So use the loo before you go and if you pass somewhere go there as it could be some time before you can go again!!
There's very few shops in Claviere and watch out, Sundays (the day we arrived) and Mondays the supermarket isn't open in the afternoon, only the morning, closing at 12.30. So if you arrive on a Sunday be prepared to buy hotel priced drinks, or bring some with you.
We arrived lunchtime Sunday and took our boards down to Eric in the ski shop next door/at the back left of, the supermarket, who serviced them (pricey though, 32.50 euro for full service, less for edges & wax) that day ready for Monday morning pick up. He is proper lovely, his tag line being 'any problem', meaning 'no problem'. Everything can be hired there, and he sells items too. Less than 5 mins down from the hotel, and straight opposite the entrance to the slopes.
Loved the holiday, loved the hotel. Didn't love the slow lifts, the number not working, and the way the runs don't connect back to Claviere without a massive hike to the other side of Montgenevre, which isn't ideal when it's windy or low vis as you have to go over a really high pass. Also the price of things in the few supplies shops is crazy. A stubby can of beer that's about 50 cents in Morzine was 1 euro 15 in Claviere!
Great experience though, and Crystal reps Mandi & James were very good.
Best of all though was the hospitality of Fulvia and her staff who simply cannot be faulted.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 10. Twin room if beds pulled apart, although it was set as a double with beds push...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KitegirlUK
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have just returned from a very enjoyable week at the Miramonti. I booked a flight and transfer with Thompson for £110...Bournemouth to Turin as Crystal ski would not sort out a last minute single room with supplement for me. I contacted Fulvia via email and she replied promptly.
This hotel is 2 star, and yet it is brilliant value for money. Great food, warm clean rooms, plenty of hot water, best of all wonderful atmosphere and people.
The only negative is the uphill yomp with luggage on arrival......you need to be prepared for this its challenging in the snow.
There have already been positive reviews of the Miramonti, please go with an open mind and enjoy the genuine Italian hospitality.
I would not recommend ordering your ski pass and skis in advance. I rented some super Lacroix skis from Eric at Ski Lodge behind the shop opposite the church...great service and a good price too.I just had to wander down to the shop in the morning and my boots were warmed on the radiator by Eric's father, he even put my skis outside for me! So kind. As far as the lift pass goes, get one with more than 1 day in Montgenevre as Claviere is a small area. Would I go again ? Yes if I could get my case taken up the hill !!!!

Room Tip: I had room 1, a small twin with en suite shower room. Perfect for me on my own. Lovely view across t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank VACrawford
Kingdom of Fife
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our 1st trip to Claviere and would defo go back. We were moved to this hotel as had problems with room in original choice....so glad we did. Fulvia, her brother and the rest of the staff were lovely and the other guests were so friendly and chatty it helped make our holiday go well.
The skiing area itself is brilliant and the weather was very good for skiers and snowboarders alike.

Room Tip: Our room was in basement and easy to get to via boot room entry door.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claviere
Hotel Bes
#2 of 7 in Montgenevre
Hotel Chaberton
Hotel Chaberton
#3 of 8 in Cesana Torinese

Been to Hotel Miramonti? Share your experiences!