“KJC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“KJC”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights, lovely wee place. Very quite which is what we like. Room nice,very clean and fresh.
Food was lovely as was the nice selection of wines had a lovely rose'
Breakfast exceptional, asked to have it in room one morning so we could chill and this was done without any fuss and much appreciated.
Wee gem, surprised though that everyone in bed so early !! We're last 2 in bar at 10 on a Saturday night but sat outside and enjoyed the view ,would definitely recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your really nice review and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will always try and go out of our way to satisfy all our guests requests and I am very pleased we were able to serve you breakfast in bed. Regarding being the last ones out of the bar at 10 pm I can only say that this is most unusual!! I hope we will see you again sometime soon. Kind regards Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
scotland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Gorgeous meal yesterday at the Ferry Bar in the Pierhouse. Views to die for and my 9 year old was in and out to the beach whislt we enjoyed a drink. Food was amazing, I had the mussels and my husband and daughter had the fish and chips, all fantastically fresh and tasty. My daughter had the sticky toffee pudding which was also divine. If I have one small gripe, it was that when my young daughter was handed the pudding the waitress said something like 'and here is a smaller plate of the sticky toffee pudding' which I thought was great as only ice cream had featured on the kids menu. However, we were still charged the full £5.95 for the pudding, so I don't know if it was in fact a smaller portion and we were over charged or just the normal portion and therefore full price. Anyway, a small mix up. Looking forward to my return visit in the spring!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for your nice review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your meal with us. I apologise for the miss-understanding over the Sticky toffee pudding which only comes in one size and at one price. You were not overcharged but the portion size should have been very similar and if it was not then I am sorry. I have ensured our waiting staff are aware of this detail but apologise that this was incorrectly communicated. I will look forward to your next visit and am sure we can sort you out with a sticky toffee pudding! Kind regards Nick
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Personal small hotel, cosy and warm.
Restaurant serves the local and finest seafood from the waters outside the hotel. Fantastic seafood classics. Although my husband ate all seafood options, I'm a vegetarian and the chef asked me they will cook anything I like. Perfect.
Staff kind and friendly.
Great for bird watchers as rear view rooms have bird feeders outside the window.

Room Tip: As per review
Green Features: Notices in bathrooms on towel polices. Breakfast is not a buffet style.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Your review is 'music to my ears'!. I am delighted your husband enjoyed his seafood so much and also that we were able to prepare a special vegetarian dish just for you. We will always try to cater for all our guests needs and I extremely pleased you were happy with the result. We will very much hope to see you again sometime. Until then, kind regards Nick
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have stayed at this hotel twice in two years, a must visit if only to park the car on the beach and eat in the award-winning seafood restaurant. Also take the time to visit the wee island of Lismore across the water, only a seven minute crossing on the ferry boat.

Room Tip: Front facing room, great views
Green Features: Nothing to much bother for any of the staff. Very friendly hotel and local people very courteous. Great localy sourced food.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott198
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Many thanks for your great recommendation. it is much appreciated! Kind regards Nick
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently visited this former favourite of ours with friends after a long absence. On a sunny day the location is hard to beat.
The rooms were fine but due to great weather were very hot. The midges meant keeping the window closed.
Bar staff were friendly and the bar service was good.
We had dinner in the restaurant on both nights. The langoustines and the lobster were way over cooked. On the second night two of us ordered "warm" langoustines, they were so hot we couldn't handle them for a long time after they were served. It appeared they had been subjected to a lot more heat than a few minutes in boiling water they needed. They were rubbery and tasteless.
A shame when the quality raw materials were seen landed less than 100 yards from the kitchen. It's not hard to get this simple stuff right.
Two breakfast orders of poached eggs each produced to two solid poached bullets.
Sadly not worth the 5 hour journey or the fine dining prices.

Room Tip: Take a fan and midge repellent.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sareheid
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Sir. I am extremely disappointed to read that you felt our 'food was a let down'. It is highly unusual to have either overcooked or rubbery and tasteless langoustines or lobster as they are carefully cooked separately in a gas convection oven to a specific time based upon their weight. However as they were not to your liking I apologise and I know the chefs will be as equally disappointed as I am. I am also very sorry about the hard poached eggs at breakfast too which is most surprising. Your experience is not to our normal level of customer satisfaction and this is most regretful for which I am very sorry. Yours sincerely Nicholas Horne
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I cannot speak strongly enough about this hotel. I only stayed for one night, but so wish it had been for several more. An absolute joy to behold on the West Coast of Scotland, near to Oban.

I will most certainly be returning to the Pierhouse - the Nephrops norvegicus (more commonly known as langoustines) were excellent as a starter, and the seabass top quality as a main.

There is a good quality wine list to boot, which is very reasonably priced.

The room I stayed in overlooked the bay, and the views were spectacular. In short, the room was faultless. I was so lucky that the weather was wonderful too !

The hotel also has welcoming and friendly staff - the owners should be proud of them.

Room Tip: any overlooking the bay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark D
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and as the owners yes we are indeed very proud of our staff! Staff are 'everything' when it comes to running a hotel and we are really fortunate to have now had the vast majority of our staff working with us for the past 6-7 years, some longer. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and look forward to hopefully seeing you again sometime. Kind regards Nick
Milngavie
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having previously stayed in an award winning hotel nearby which we had enjoyed, we thought we would try this hotel because of its superb location right at the pier, and we were not disappointed. With a spacious room overlooking the pier, the location was idyllic, and the seafood menu as comprehensive as I have seen,-because of course the restaurant is rightly regarded as a premier seafood restaurant. When you book to stay at the hotel, you will be invited to reserve a table in advance, as the restaurant is also very popular with non residents. The hotel has its own car parking area which is fenced off, and as the gate is locked overnight, it would be as well to discover when it would be opened the next morning as I discovered when I was wanting to exit for some early morning photography.

Room Tip: Obviously front facing for a view of the pier and the loch.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WayfarerMilngavie
Thank you very much for your very positive review and we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are indeed most fortunate with our stunning location for photography and I hope you got some good pictures. Kind regards Nick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Appin
#1 of 2 in Connel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#3 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The Pierhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!