All reviews seafood platter lismore island langoustines pier house loch linnhe castle stalker passenger ferry cliff facing great seafood stunning location smoked salmon bar meals west coast of scotland romantic break fantastic hotel sitting area sea view
Reviewed 16 June 2018

We hadn’t planned to visit Port Appin – we were booked on ferries from Tiree to Barra, then on to South Uist, but Calmac Ferries and Storm Hector dictated otherwise. So we were fortunate to be able to book a room at the Pierhouse, where we had stayed once before but never had an opportunity to return. It was good to be here and not to be out on a stormy sea!
We had a large well-appointed room with lovely bathroom featuring an excellent walk-in shower, with Arran Aromatics toiletries. Even though we didn’t have a sea view it was a pleasure to watch the birds on the feeders thoughtfully placed outside the window. The restaurant here is famous for seafood, and dinner menu choices certainly didn’t disappoint; and the large windows give panoramic views of the changing light on the sea. Breakfast was very enjoyable, with plenty of choice.
Staff could not have been more helpful – for example I asked if I might have some laundry done, and it was dealt with swiftly and delivered back to our room later in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel which was a surprise find - well to me anyway. It was a busy little oasis in a magnificent setting. The food is fabulous (they were kind enough to let me order three starters for dinner so I could try a bit of everything and I think the scrambled eggs for breakfast were the best I have ever had). Room was quiet, clean and spacious and the staff are amazing. Thank you. It was a great overnighter I wasn’t expecting.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
ThePierhouseHotel, Owner at The Pierhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Thank you so much for your super review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and that you thought our food is fabulous, which is always nice to hear. Now that you have found us I very much hope we will see you back here again very soon! Kind regards Nick

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Having recently had engine problems with my yacht they kindly let me moor on their visitor moorings until I got a new part sent and fitted. Kirsty the owner could not have been more helpful. On return we spent the night on the mooring and ate at the restaurant. The food was splendid the service fantastic and the view second to none. We will be back. Pierhouse restaurant cannot be recommended highly enough

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank skippergus

Dear Gus . Many thanks for your excellent review which is greatly appreciated. I was very sorry to hear of your engine problems but was more than happy for you to stay on one of our moorings until you were fixed again. I very much hope we will see you back here sometime soon and I hope your engine is still working fine! Kind regards Nick. Owner.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Staying at the Pierhouse Hotel for four nights in May 2018 was one of the true highlights of our three weeks in Scotland. Nick and Nikki Horne and their well-trained staff have already won more hospitality industry awards than they can fit on their walls, and they deserve each and every one of them. (The night we checked out, Head Chef Sergejs Savickis won the Young Chef of 2018 at the Scottish Food Awards) The Pierhouse Hotel is a delightful place in a wonderful, waterfront location. The Pierhouse Restaurant serves up splendid meals comprised of local ingredients that looked great and were absolutely mouth watering. Oh, and then there's the bar where one can endlessly explore Scottish ales and spirits. Of course, the real star of the show here is its location. I was absolutely smitten with myself to discover such a wonderful place as Port Appin, blissfully off the radar of mass market travel writers and completely absent of coaches laden with hordes of pesky tourists. This was a great place to wrap up our time in the Highlands. Time decelerated here. The hotel rooms were comfortable and well appointed. The dining rooms and comfortable sitting areas were loaded with personality. The people who work here seemed to be in a perpetual state of efficient movement, but nothing here seemed hurried. Take your time at breakfast and/or dinner. Enjoy the bar menu outside on the deck. Explore many of the nearby nature trails. Take a ten minute ferry ride and bike around Lismore. Take an Appin Boat Tour ride and learn about the local environment and ecology while getting an entertaining history lesson at the same time. And check out nearby Castle Stalker and see how many lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail you can remember while chuckling to yourself. Enjoy the sunny days, the windy days and the rainy days...they're all good here. In summary, this is a great place run by friendly people who always appeared to be happy to make time for a quick chat with their guests. Bravo, Pierhouse Hotel and Restaurant. Bravo and well done. Standing ovation from two very happy guests from the United States.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M

Dear Mark

Thank you so much for your fantastic review which has been hugely appreciated by everyone here at The Pierhouse. You have been extremely generous in your compliments for which we are exceedingly grateful. Providing excellent customer service all of the time is our primary objective and we are delighted when we receive reviews such as yours. We very much hope we will see you back here again at some stage in the not too distant future, and once again many thanks. Best wishes Nick

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

The Pierhouse easily boasts one of the best views in Argyll and it serves up great food as well. Really worth a visit if you love fresh seafood! My partner really enjoyed the seafood platter and I can recommend the salmon fish cakes and lamb rump. All in all a smashing restaurant that serves up reasonably priced food and drink.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple