“Lots of Life”

The Porthcawl Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Porthcawl
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I rather liked this hotel, its my sort of place, but judging by the other reviews its not for everyone. The negatives are that there's no parking, I paid to be in the car park, but should have read the reviews recommending somewhere close. The warren of corridors is also true and some did look a little shabby. Also there's a gym on the first floor, which does play loud music, but I was unaware of it being on the third floor. The bar only serves keg beer and the breakfast was just ok (although with not earing pork, I cannot comment on the bacon or sausages).
My room was big, clean and reasonably well appointed, certainly good value for the £40 I paid for it. The bar at night is great fun and very friendly, not least due to Beth, the lady with the red hair that other reviewers complained about.
Other guests, out of season, tend to be contractors, taking advantage of the special rates. When I stayed there was a very funny group from Ellesmere Port (called the Scoucers by the locals). I very nearly got talked into going clubbing in Swansea with them.
I've stayed in Porthcawl a few times, but am so gald that I've found the Porthcawl Hotel as previously I've found the town a little boring, the Porthcawl Hotel is anything but boring.

Room Tip: Try for one on the third floor, even though its a little hard to get to.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 September 2012

where to start , greeted by a very surly member of staff, no people skills whats so ever , a lady with shoulder lengh red hair, who was very unfriendly throughout my stay.long hike up stairs to room,on no one botherd to show us room or help with suitcase , just told numbers were on walls with directions.. !!room nice size and clean,but bed was broken collapsed in middle slept on edge wth music pounding out from night club underneath, this has to be heard to be belived , couldent talk to my friend above the din it was painful , walls were vibrateing,on complaining we were told it was on website but we booked with last minute rooms and we were not notified .got bed fixed next day and had to stay out till gone 2.00 am to avoid noise, and battle through loads of young people clearly drunk out of there skulls to get into the hotel .police outside watching them...breakfast was appalling, bacon like rubber ,orange juice run out no knifes, no choice, u had to ask for these items the staff dident bother to check !!.. please avoid this hotel ............

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Donnamariakent
Reviewed 16 September 2012

i have been a regular visitor to the porthcawl hotel since the change in management, in the past the food and service have been of an average to good standard, however, over the last few months the standard of bar service has been going down hill. last night was the worst so far, the lady serving in the bar has little or no customer service skills and seemed to spend quite some time talking to her friends. i was waiting to be served and was just about to order and she walked straight passed me and disappeared for about 15 minutes. by this time there were quite a few people waiting to be served, a barman arrived from the adjacent bar, i asked if anyone was serving, didnt answer this question, but said what do you want, at this point we left! to compound the poor customer service the sign on reception said to go to the bar for assistance -
i think the porthcawl hotel is under the same management as the atlantic, at the atlantic, they have staff willing to help and be polite

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank porthcawltraveler
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Have not stayed at this hotel so cannot comment on that side of things but, have a few good meals there. A good variety of meals available at reasonable prices and their Sunday lunch I excellent, plenty of meat, veg and it is hot. Well worth the money.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annandtony_11
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stopped in Porthcawl from a recommendation; it was raining very hard when I arrived, most Hotels & Guest houses were fully booked.
Porthcawl Hotel in John Street was a Last resort, I was able to Park my Disabled car at the front entrance just across the road, outside the fruit & Veg shop.
On arriving at reception I asked for the room rate with breakfast included; the barman/receptionist stated £50.00... I stated on booking.com it was £40.00 so he agreed to accept this price, of which I thanked him.
Above Reception is a Fully fitted out Gymnasium with very loud music blasting out; of which I could hear two floors above this, that's how LOUD!
Due to my Disability I find stairs hard; but a bed at last resort, who could argue!
I was told to follow the young lad, who carried my case! Good job really with the Rabbit Warren of Corridors, Fire Doors and different Staircases.
After we arrived on the 4th floor of the old building; the room was excellent, Large bed lovely En-Suite bathroom only downfall was the Loud Music from below and the Television that could barely get a picture.
Due to the location of the room and the many staircases; my disability confined me to the bedroom; good job I had called at Tesco's for munchies before arriving( like you do) Fresh Milk & Sandwiches for supper etc.
As I would never have been able to return to my room if I had ventured through the Rabbit Warren again!
So after my sound sleep with ear plugs ( due to the room being at the rear over the kitchens). I could not wait to get my Breakfast; starving as you could understand!! Packed my case, tided the room, then proceeded down the Rabbit Warren of corridors and Fire doors to the Breakfast area situated in the front bar area.
On arrival no one around but some maintenance guy!
The Breakfast well Big Understatement; Continental with a twist( but never explained)...Healthy Option due to Gym maybe.....Cereal Bars, Fruit & Coffee; Not a cooked breakfast in sight, Ok it was after 9am but the Service was non existent, customer service is terrible.
So after my cold miserable excuse of a Breakfast; I proceeded to reception, then waited 10 minutes for someone to arrive.
I asked him to get my case from he room, which he did with the odd grunt of dissatisfaction.
My case arrived, I turned towards my car; which had been blocked in by the Fruit & Veg guy using the whole pavement as his extra shop area!!
Entered my car; left Porthcawl with a sting in my tail, onwards to the Nearest Morrison's for a Hearty Breakfast.
Stay again; not on your nelly!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Bryan A
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The Porthcawl Hotel was great if you only want to spend a brief time in your room. Situated in the small town of Porthcawl, it had a lot of positives but, my negative thoughts would be this:

Negatives
=========
1) Would not recommend for an older couple - Hotel is more of a Stag/Hen Do, Lads and Ladies venue.
2) Bedrooms are hit and miss. Myself and 3 friends went away and had 2 rooms. My friends room was okay but, ours was awful. Very bad smell, uncomfortable beds and generally musty feel. TV was not working at all. Ours was small and cramped but, our friends had more room, a working tv and no smell.
3) No car park - Pay and Display down the road.
4) Carpeted bathroom - Sounds finicky but, if this place is where inebriated folk would be sleeping i fear what the carpet may contain in the bathroom.

Positives
=======
1) Very good bar/food area - In particular, the Sports Bar area was fantastic. Went during Euro 2012 and it was a great atmosphere, good prices and good staff.
2) Good staff - appreciate that this was mentioned above but, all over they were very polite
3) Good gym - If this is your bag, this is really good. Sauna in there and a punch bag room and free weights.
4) Good Nightclub - 'Streets' is really well set out and if you are staying at the hotel, has free entry. By some of the pictures i saw, they also do aerobics in it during the day.
5) 30 minutes from Cardiff, 25 from Swansea. Not bad for a location i would say.

So, rooms aside, better than average. Facilities and location was all good. I could have probably complained about the room and would have been moved but, i lived so hey ho!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We visited the hotel in August 2011 and it looked very promising from the outside as it looked revamped.

Upon arrival there was no one at reception for sometime and had to go to the bar to find someone to assist us.

The room is very big, however very old looking. The tap broke upon arrival and took 2 hours for someone to attend to it, this was no fixed, but limited the noise.

On the positive side, its right in the centre of town and the price is not bad either.

In conclusion, I don't think I would return and would rather try another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Bridgend
Olivia House
Olivia House
#1 of 20 in Porthcawl

Been to The Porthcawl Hotel? Share your experiences!