“Terrible Place”

The Porthcawl Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Porthcawl
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for the past 10 years but this visit was dreadful. Our party booked rooms in advance only to find they had over booked and told two couples in the party that although they had a booking they didn't have a room. The rooms are basic my room had a radiator that was boiling hot but the controls were broken so it couldn't be adjusted. The tv in mine and my friends room didn't work. There was no bath towel in the room. The hotel owner is a dreadful guy, he's rude and arrogant and spent the night picking fights with the guests and getting the bouncers to throw them out at his whim. The bouncers were pleasant and doing a good job but the manager is a real idiot and the cause of most of the trouble that evening. Talking to other people he is the cause of most trouble on a regular basis. We will never stay at this place again and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone else if you do choose to stay here you will find out exactly what we mean.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel you wont get any sleep here that is if the manager allows you to stay he...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tracy A

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed for 2 nights over the Elvis weekend, and really enjoyed it, staff were friendly and the place had a nice atmosphere, the room was clean and quite big. On the Friday night there was a really good band playing. Breakfast was very nice.
There is no car park with the Hotel, but just 2 mins down the road there was a massive one, and it was only £3.00 for 24hours

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zippyzoom77
Reviewed 20 September 2013

sorry this is late review had a great stay at the porthcawl hotel the cheeki bar maid made us all feel every welcome, she went out of her way to make have a great stay will be back to see you becki food was great rooms was basic but thats what u pay for the price was spotless clean and tidy.

michael

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Hotel didn't have parking, not even given an indication of where the nearest parking facilities were. The porter/bar attendant, wasn't communicative at all, no eye contact, not even pointed in the right direction of the room, let alone shown, and that was while we waited for someone to come to reception in the first place!
Not value for money on the room we stayed in. Amazes me how the owners can be proud of the appearance of the room, wall paper coming off, grubby, damp in places on the ceiling,sign of leaks, socket coming off the wall, and that socket was the one used for the portable tv, and kettle!!
for the amount of money we paid a night I would have thought it would be more respectful dwelling.
noise echoed around the hotel at 4am due to passers by on the corridor and stampeding up the stairs. Noise from out side and the clubs, and the congregation of people out side the hotel entrance where the night porter didn't usher them on, then the rubbish collection at 5am, and then, bottle deliver at 6am! Breakfast was included in with the price, but not 1 of us was feeling very with it after a restless night.We were glad to depart, and tbh, after reading the other reviews, glad we didn't eat there.
I had heard it wasn't just this hotel either that was in poor state for the money being charged.... think the council needs to step in and put forth a plan to get these hotels up to standards, Porthcawl is a nice seaside town, shame these hotels are letting tourism and trade down for the town. This hotel I would definitely not stay in again, you would have to pay me to stay in it! I will research before I come back again. You need to take more pride in your hotel, it's lacking in many aspects.

Room Tip: research the hotels in the area and read the reviews.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank gingejh
Reviewed 16 September 2013

No-one at the desk to book in, and no bell. When we eventually got to book in we were given the key, but were not shown to our room... or even pointed in the direction of the room! We booked a family room, originally for 4 adults though fortunately we changed to 3 adults and 1 child, the room was small with a double bed, 1 single bed and a mattress on the floor! The wallpaper was coming off the walls, the cream curtains were filthy and the one electrical socket was hanging off the wall. It was ridiculously noisy at night, not just because of the spill out of the nightclub next door, but also because of other guests running around the landings in the early hours! When we arrived back at the hotel after our evening out there were people standing in the doorway which was pretty off putting, especially the guy that felt the need to spit everywhere, the night doorman at the hotel did nothing to move people on.
We didn't bother with breakfast the following morning, the place looked too grubby and lack of sleep made us just want to get out of there and head home!!
The only redeeming feature this place had was the fact that it was ideally situated, only a few minutes away from the wedding venue we attended.
Overall, wouldn't recommend this place to friends, and next time we're in Porthcawl we will absolutely be staying elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lottie H
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Whilst waiting for meal we read cpl bad reviews about the food, but after just eating there can only say others on here don't know about food, our meals were excellent the meat on mixed grill was all cooked to perfection as was t ribs, was also reasonable prices, the bar staff were very friendly and polite service was efficient and courteous , overall very pleasant experience would definitely recommend this eatery you won't be disappointed, and wouldn't hesitate to go again

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Good location in the centre of Porthcawl, staff who worked at the hotel/bar was all very friendly on check in. Rooms are average but nothing special not very clean (stain on the carpet looked like blood) which wasn't very nice to see, towels was supplied but the bath mat was all ripped, the shower is terrible does not let enough water out, the bed was not very comfortable. At first I didn't mind the hotel it was 'ok' as we come down for one night to have a drink in porthcawl with some friends so it didn't bother me too much but there is a bar & night club at the hotel which is playing music until early hours but that's what we was there for anyway. What did bother me is the fact that when the nightclub was closing and everyone was asked to leave I walked out & fell on a broken step right outside the door I was very embarrassed as their was a club full of people outside that seen me fall as much as I would normally laugh myself and get back up I was in agony and could not move my husband had to help me up & when I told the bouncers on the door the one man was a lovely gentlemen who asked if I was ok and if I wanted a accident form while I was talking to him the others was laughing and trying to push me out of the club to shut the doors as soon as possible! I was in really bad pain (not even the drink helped take it away!) I could barely walk as I went back inside the hotel there was a lady member of staff who I spoke to and asked for a accident form, she looked at me like she wasn't really happy to help which made me feel even worse she didn't even ask if I was ok! I then went to my room and could not sleep with the pain in my back it ruined a very good night! And I still have a really bad pain in my lower back and my tailbone which I have had to get treated. In the morning we went down for breakfast which consisted of 1 egg 1 sausage 2 rash's of bacon and half a plate of beans which was not very nice at all!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KMaving
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Green Acre Motel
Green Acre Motel
#1 of 1 in North Cornelly

Been to The Porthcawl Hotel? Share your experiences!