“Pleasant Weekend”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Porthcawl
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have just spent a very pleasant weekend in Porthcawl.

We were lucky as the weather was wall to wall sun.

Fairways Hotel is a 3 star rating and that is what it is. It's in a great location opposite the sea and a lovely walk either along the promenade, through Coney Island, Trecco caravan park and around the headland to more beaches and promenades or the other way to quieter Rest Bay.

Our room was sea facing although we couldn't see much out of the window except the sea as we were located above the conservatory extension but the hotel can't do much about that although a room on a higher floor might have had better views. The room was a good size with lots of hanging and drawer space with tea and coffee making facilities as well as toiletries in the bathroom. The room was clean as was the bathroom and there were white towels. The bed and bedding were comfortable but unfortunately the pillow protectors let it down. They were not just scruffy but filthy.

Apart from the lady who wore a lilac colour top the staff were very average in their service and attitude. She had good customer service and a "can do" attitude.

The breakfast was inconsistent on the 2 mornings we were there. The Saturday breakfast was better than the Sunday. We had one dinner which my husband was happy with but there was no vegetarian choices for me and what I had was not something I would have normally chosen and it turned out I didn't like the taste of. In the hotel across the road, where we ate the second night, they had about 6 vegetarian choices and they also identified other choices on the menu which were suitable for vegetarians which is a help for us veggies as just because there appears to be no meat/fish in the dish doesn't mean there isn't any (eg stock).

The hotel has a few parking spaces and we were lucky to get one but there is lots of parking alongside and nearby so I don't think that it's an issue.

So, all in all, a pleasant weekend.

Room Tip: If you ask for a sea view room try the second floor as you may get a better view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan E

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Lovely welcome, staff friendly, helpful and accommodating.
Room large and clean with a great sea view,but could of done with a little updating to match the quality of decoration downstairs. no fridge or safe.
Quality bed and good pillows had a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was plentiful and real quality, evening meal also very good.

Would defo. Stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kay l
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went for a meal with friends. Had the special 12.95 early evening menu which is good value as the normal menu is expensive. However those of us who choose the mussels and the pork found the sauce to be very salty. There was no taste on my chicken. I dont know if I would go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anna B
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We took advantage of Groupon offer for short break away. Enjoyed very much. Staff were very keen to please and food of good quality. The two course for 12.95 menu was good deal in restaurant. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie172
Porthcawl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I'm a local and have eaten many times here before the recent extension, and always had good food at decent prices.

We went there recently as a party of 8 for a birthday meal and I was stunned at the prices on the menu! The food was OK, but quite ordinary and not up to the prices that they're charging.

I don't object to paying for quality, but I won't be returning here!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Julian T

Travellers are raving about these Porthcawl hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Before the extension was carried out at Fairways we dined there quite often being locals but last night we ate in the new Orangery and it was an absolute disaster. The menu is very limited and extremely expensive. I chose rack of lamb with minted peas, puy lentils and red wine jus for £21. The lamb was small and tasteless, the peas were petite pois, just boiled with certainly no mint flavour, the puy lentils looked extremely unappetising and the red wine jus was just a thick dollop of brown 'gravy.' I asked why the peas weren't minted and the waitress brought another quite large dish of peas exactly the same as I already had on my plate. I asked the waitress about the red wine jus and she assured me there was wine in it. There was also an extra charge for the wedges. A horrible meal. My partner had halibut and chips which again was extremely expensive £18 and very very ordinary. We were so disappointed especially as the whole thing was so very expensive. We will needless to say not be going there again which is such a shame as we have visited many times over the years and had really good food.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nickola0611
Bridgend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I do not like posting negative reviews but I'm afraid I have to on this occasion. I have eaten in Fairways on many occasions prior to the addition of the new orangery and have always been very satisfied. However I ate there last night for the first time post-orangery. Very small, uninspiring menu, VERY expensive, ie fish and chips £18!! I ordered chicken breast as the only other meat choices were rack of lamb or steak. I don't like struggling with meat on the bone and didn't want beef so breast of chicken was my choice. When the (very small) meal came, it was a tiny chicken leg! So I didn't even get what was stated on the menu. Yes it was nicely cooked but not enough so I had to have garlic bread at a cost of £4 to supplement it. My husband ordered rack of lamb. That too was a very small piece of gristly under cooked meat. He said it was tough and even though he sent it back and had it cooked a little more, it was mostly comprised of fat and very disappointing. We had a bottle of wine and a beer and paid in excess of £62 for that. When we came home my husband was looking for some food! I will never go there again. The orangery was cold although very beautiful but I feel that the customers are footing the bill for it in the over priced 'snacks' that they are calling meals. (Why would anyone want to pay £18 for fish and chips???)

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank bevjones1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
Seabank Hotel
BEST WESTERN Heronston Hotel & Spa
The Great House Hotel
The Great House Hotel
#5 of 9 in Bridgend

Been to Fairways Hotel? Share your experiences!