“Changed my view on caravan park holidays”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Porthcawl
Parkdean - Trecco Bay Holiday Park
Colnbrook, null, United Kingdom
“Changed my view on caravan park holidays”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was seriously impressed with this holiday and wish I had been able to stay there longer. The resort is quite large with a couple of shops and a few options for places to eat. I got the impression that only the main restaurant was a serious option for providing proper meals but there were a couple of other places on site for fast food. The restaurant was itself fantastic; we are a very awkward family with loads of different food allergies and intolerances; the staff went to incredible lengths to make sure that we were still able to enjoy our meals. I am used to being brushed off and having to make do but Anna, Allan and Pav in particular gave us service with a smile and were helpful enough to please people who are far less easily pleased than us.

The swimming pool here is really nice; we only got the chance to use it once and wished we had been in there a lot more. There were bowling alleys and pool tables in their 50s diner section, there were the obligatory amusement arcades and a really nice looking crazy golf type area as well as evening entertainment from singers, dancers and comedians in the main hall. There was little chance of getting bored here. I didn't get the chance to use a great deal of the on site entertainment because the area had plenty to see. Bridgend was a few miles away but I got the impression it had seen better days. Porthcawl was only a couple of hundred metres away though and it was really nice, a classic British seaside town. The beaches and rock pools around the area were really nice to walk around and I found that even with the terrible weather we had during our week there it was still nice to do a lot of exploring on foot.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Brilliant stay in a Maesteg caravan, nbr 103. Nice pool, beach plus the most amazing. Ice cream was very good value massive size for just a few quid, Oreo flavour was yummy.

Pity previous people who stayed in nbr 103 ran away with some of the kitchen utensils, namely potato peeler, oven gloves and scissors.

Very restful relaxing weeks holiday.

Room Tip: Nbr 103 was very clean and exciting, near to the action, but just far enough that there was no noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Aberdare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our fifth and last trip for the Elvis convention. We hired the same model caravan as last year the Cornelly which was only a few months old lays year, but was about 18 months old this year, what a difference a year makes! It still has the same specs 3 bedrooms with 2 toilets & showers which is a bonus with 5 females sharing but the cleanliness standards and general wear and tear was sure to be seen! We were also right next to a speed ramp so despite double glazing every time a car took this ramp it made a god awful noise! The other thing that perplexed us was that you parked your car outside next doors caravan, very weird! Even more so as our neighbours caused a bit of trouble and my friends and I were concerned that damage could have been done to our cars! Anyway that is just a few issues we had we were going to come again next tear but the price of a nicer van was neatly £400 and even between 5 of us wasn't really value for money so next year we are looking for a country cottage with a hot tub for a girly break away and hopefully cheaper!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bath
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We have just come back from a 4 day 'Sun Break' at Trecco Bay. We use the 'Sun breaks' twice a year as a holiday for our 2 dogs. While we appreciate the deal is cheap and that dogs are only allowed in certain caravans we did not expect such a low budget, basic, grubby, tatty caravan on such a Chavy site.
We reported that our shower head had fallen off and that the grill did not work- a maintenance guy eventually came to us but spent more time texting on his phone than fixing the problems. Neither issue was resolved during our stay.
The couple in the caravan next door to us had a blazing row one night- going on for a couple of hours. The language used and noise was horrendous - in the end Security were called to 'try' to calm them.
As part of the ''Sun Break' the site charges extra for bedding and entertainment passes- we declined both of these but both were still provided. Beware of this con. if you are on a budget. Don't pay the extra charge as you get them anyway!!
We did 'up grade'!!!! prior to arrival - £20 for a newer caravan with heating in the bedrooms - I hate to think what the more basic caravan to ours was like!!!
The area the site is in very run down however there are a few pretty small towns near by such as Nottage and Cowbridge that are worth a visit.
I will choose more carefully for my next 'Sun break'!!!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank LizElm51
Swansea
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My own personal experience from owning my own holiday home with TRECCO BAY (Parkdean).

Granted at the start of purchasing my holiday home all the staff and managers in all departments are lovely to me, which is expected as at the end of the day all they want is that sale and your money. Once they have that sale their attitude changes completely. They don't care as long as you pay your ground rent on the set day, not a day late. One of the biggest issues is were you place your caravan to after purchase. Once the caravan is sited its great until for what ever reason the camp wants that pitch back and will hound you in every imaginable way for you to either move to a new area or try and get you to sell back to them for an 80% loss at least.
Just recently I became very ill and still am so was unable to go up to the camp site and yes I missed the payment for the ground rent due to not being able to get there but I did phone to make arrangements to go there and pay it all up to date as soon as I could due to paying it on a monthly basis and all seemed fine but then a few days later I started getting threatening letters saying they were disconnecting my caravans and removing them from site unless I paid the full years rent within a few days. This was not possible due to funds so I phoned them and their head office and again explained to them that due to ill health and being disabled (Wheelchair bound) that I will be up in a day or two to pay what is owing but not the full amount. Again this seemed fine over the phone but when I went up to pay they refused payment and said I had to pay the full amount which I was unable to pay.
When I spoke to another manager a few days later as they had disconnected my caravan he said because I failed to pay they had no choice but. Said I had been up to pay what I owe to date but it was refused. When asked the other member of staff lied and said I never although I had witnesses to state I had. From there on in it was just lies after lies, he said she said and between the lot of them and the area manager they all lied to back each other up with really got to me and just made my health worse.

At the end of the day the holiday park don't care about you, had it be your disabled, old, young or even if your a baby or the fact if you have a good holiday or not as I have realised over the years I have been with them, all they care about is getting your money of you and once they have accomplished that then that's it they don't care, all the smiles and being nice stop.

Even now that they have removed my caravan off site they are still trying to charge me ground rent for it being on site when it's not, it's in storage but yet they are not charging me storage they are trying to charge me ground rent which I'm sure they can't do but I will get that checked up on.

To some this might seem like I'm bitter or something but if anyone wants to see proof of what they are like as a company before buying a caravan com them I will be more than happy to show some of the threatening letters that they have sent to me. I'm sure the camp site will say otherwise if they see this with more lies like they seem to be great at and again I'm sure they will try and get me done for slander or something but I really don't care as long as the truth is out there I just don't care.

Many thanks

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
18 Thank Lee S
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My partner and I visited the park from 16th september - 20th september.
After reading mixed reviews on here, we were feeling nervous about what we would experience.
We arrived at the park, and the staff were so helpful. We were given so much information on arrival that we found very helpful.
Our accommodation was a standard caravan, as we chose not to upgrade. Our accommodation was perfect. It was so clean and modern - a complete shock.
The entertainment was general holiday park entertainment, but that's exactly what it was entertaining.
I would recommend a holiday here to anyone who is looking for a short break or a holiday.
The surrounding area doesn't have much to offer so taking a trip to Cardiff would be the best place to have a day away from the park.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tonii91
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

we went with family 20th sept for a week. we hired 3 caravans 2 kenfig which were new with wall mounted tv, modern interior, hoover, iron and board etc. lovely and clean and near the amenities. the pembroke which my daughter hubby and 4 children hired stunk really badly of a massive overspray of air freshener with an underlying smell which turned out to be mould in the double bedroom on the bed skirting boards carpet etc. she asked to be moved the next day and was upgraded and moved to a nice clean caravan. apart from that and lots of noise from drunken revellers until 4.30am in the vans behind us the first two nights which i later found out had i reported it to security they would have come out and stopped it. the rest of the week was great. the park is lovely and clean as are the shops club pool etc etc. there is lots to do on site. the entertainment was really good we all enjoyed it. the shows are very professional.the bar and shop prices are not cheap but you come to expect this so we shop off the park. the park is a short walk from a lovely beach, market, pub that does lovely food and the small town centre. a big plus is that all of the beds are made up on arrival and all of our linen was really white and spotlessly clean. thank you parkdean.

Room Tip: the newer the caravan the nicer it is
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthcawl
The Brentwood Hotel
#5 of 6 in Porthcawl
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Best Western Heronston Hotel & Spa
Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel

Been to Parkdean - Trecco Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!