“New year's 2017”
other travellers have booked this property
The Cross Keys Holiday Cottage, Bala.  Grade 2 Listed.  Built about 1771 in the conservation area.
Living Room, lots of Beams and Log Burner Other aspect of Living Room
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Living Room, lots of Beams and Log Burner
Other aspect of Living Room
Kitchen Dining area, Multi fuel Stove. Gated steps to cellar with freezer.
Top Floor Master King Bedroom/family Room. with fourth bedroom /nursery with Day Bed/ two singles.
Twin Room off Master Bedroom. Bedroom can be used used as play room/Dressing room or Nursery.
Single Room but another single under bed pictured.
Double bedroom with walk in closet
Shower Room.  Constant hot water. No bath but has Bidet, shaver/toothbrush point /heated towel rail.
The village nestles in the River Valley, between two gentle rolling mountain and moorland ranges,
View looking down the River Dee Valley toward Llangollen, the River  Dee flows onward to Chester.
Historic Llanderfel   Not many changes since then and still very quiet and restful.
Bala Lake looking toward the Arenig Mountains.
The local Pub, the Brynterion at dusk.  Open from 10.30 am.   real Ale pub and Food
Dusk on Bala Lake
The Village..  Another aspect
Monument above the village giving a wonderful view of the village with the Berwyn Mountains.
Between Llanderfel and Sarnau to the North
Winter Wonderland
Dinas Bran, Llangollen looking toward the Upper Dee Valley.
Bala Lake on a misty day in Autumn.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

clairelou...
Warrington, United Kingdom
“New year's 2017”
Reviewed 1 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017

We just spent New Years at this cottage. It was wonderful with everything we needed to hand. I would return.

7 Jan 2018
Many thank. I am really pleased that the whole family had a really happy get together and enjoying precious memories. Happy New Year.
Richard P
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant - photos do not do it justice”
Reviewed 15 November 2017 for a stay in November 2017

Had a lovely two night stay. Carol was warm and welcoming, as was her cottage. Brilliant place to stay for Snowdonia trip. Views everywhere. Local pub does good beer and excellent food - mainly local produce, which is nice to see. Beds are comfy and there is a lovely vibe about the place. Very peaceful and extremely cosy when the fire is going. Please Carol, do not change a thing for my next trip.

21 Nov 2017
Thank you Richard. You mentioned Photos to me when I showed you around. It isn't the first time guests have told me. I think my response was that I would rather have it that way around rather than guests be disappointed. New wide angle photo lenses can really give a false impression of space. I take care to describe the cottage without exaggeration and use of flowery language, a built in legacy of my past professional life. I agree about the fires too, better feel than just the electric heating. Lots of logs provided which helps. Once again many thanks.
Omarm69
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely getaway in North Wales”
Reviewed 10 November 2017 for a stay in October 2017

We travelled as a family of 5 and the cottage was beautiful. Very easy to find and easy access to all major routes. Our host was lovely and the cottage was well maintained and well stocked. I would definitely recommend it and we will definitely go back. Very reasonably priced all things considered.

Your age range 35-49
12 Nov 2017
Thank you for your review. Using Google Maps to find it was very helpful too. A tip you gave me for other guests. I try to keep my costs a reasonable as possible and do not increase prices for February and October Half Terms just to help families.
Many thanks,
DanDavids...
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Step back in time A+++++”
Reviewed 26 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

The world is huge and there's a lot to see, which is why I never choose to return to the same place twice.

Carol's cottage near Bala, and the surrounding areas have changed my thoughts on that. Everyone in our party agreed that we would be back.

The cottage is the absolute ideal place to start a North Walian adventure. Not only is it stunning from the outside, in a very peaceful village, but it really exceeds expectations on the inside. Every room is beautiful and treated the way that it should be. The photographs give a good idea of what it's like, but you really get the wow factor upon walking in the front door.

Carol met us at the front door, was very friendly and welcoming, showing us around each room and really making sure that we knew we could relax and treat the place like home. We had an idea of what we'd like to do for the weekend but Carol gave us other ideas, so we scrapped ours and went with hers instead. The local pub - The Bryn - provided us with a great meal and drinks on our first night, and we were ready to explore for the next few days.

I'm sure others have commented on this, but everything you could possibly need is already in the Cross Keys. If you just turned up with clothes and food, you'd be fine. Carol has thought of everything.

On a final note, there is no point worrying about the heights of some of the rooms or beams because you're going to hit your head whether you like it or not. You're living in 1771 for a few nights so get used to it.

I can't wait to return.

1 Sep 2017
Thank you for the review, such a pleasure to read. When Dan arrived after looking around he told me that the pictures on the Web, did not do Cross Keys justice, (he is a professional photographer). I responded that it was probably best since I would rather have visitors find that the cottage exceeded expectations than be disappointed. There really is so much to see especially if you have curiosity and love discovery. The landscape changes constantly with the seasons and Dan and his family were especially fortunate to have the heather moors and mountains glowing in glorious colours of purple Heather. I look forward to meeting Dan and his family and friends again. Lots more ideas for photo opportunities and exploration of places that have not yet seen in our wilderness. Thank you Dan, final note I still hit my head too on the top floor beams when distracted.
Ian J
“Excellent multi room cottage in picturesque Wales”
Reviewed 8 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

We booked Cross Keys as a family of 4 because while travelling from Australia we wanted a scenic Wales location suitable to meet up with friends travelling down from Manchester and this cottage exceeded expectations. It was roomy and the great weather made it a most enjoyable stay. Stairs may be an issue for anyone with heavy luggage and mobility issues but not a concern for us. Some of the local lanes are very narrow and raised the blood pressure of this traveller not used to driving them but it's an experience and there are generally other routes that can be taken to avoid them if necessary. Carol set the stay up for us beautifull with some provisions and local information. While the Llanderfel and Bala area is a lovely spot we also drove through several other inspiring localities on day trips to Conwy and Portmerion.

10 Jul 2017
Thank you. I think the description is ver accurate. The property is very old, 1771 circa and listed. It is very unique. There is a Access Statement as required by Visit Wales on my own website.
I remind all my guests to take care in the Lanes if the use them rather than the bus route B roads. Lanes go with the rural nature of Wales and rural uk. Wonderful guests.
jbean71
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 1 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We left it rather late to book the bank holiday weekend away and came across this little gem. Carol could not have been more helpful, even taking time out to ring me with recommendations of places to go. We stayed with our son, his Girlfriend, and our dog. Carol was there to greet my son when they arrived on the Friday and even though we weren't too sure what time they'd arrive she assured us it was no problem. We met the neighbours who were both lovely and made us feel very welcome.

The cottage itself was just divine and steeped in character. It really did feel home from home. It was furnished to a high standard, the comfiest of beds and full nick nacks that just added to the experience. The towels, linen etc were lovely and the kitchen had everything we could have possibly needed including working smoke alarms, apologies to the neighbours for the racket on Sunday morning. The stoves in the kitchen and lounge were laid for us and there was plenty of wood, coal etc to keep these going.

We spent our days walking, visited the waterfalls and lake vyrnwy and the sculpture park - all within a short drive away. We had Sunday lunch at the local pub, a 10 minute walk away, would recommend this.

I've read the reviews on here and know that Carol wants people to feel at home and I can confirm that this is definitely the case. We could not have asked for more and will definitely be back!! A truly lovely weekend.

3 May 2017
That is another lovely review. I am so pleased that it exceeded all your expectations. I enjoy looking after my guests and ensuring that they feel special and well treated. Yes I do have lovely neighbours too. Thank you so much I appreciate all my reviews and feed back.
happymooc...
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Tranquil, picturesque short break”
Reviewed 18 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

My family and I stayed her over the Easter weekend and were delighted to find the cottage delivered on all aspects. There is plenty of accommodation space, we are a family of 5 plus a dog and felt there was plenty of room to enjoy the cottage. The cottage is extremely well equipped with everything you could need for your holiday. An added and very welcome bonus was the additional effort and expense Carol has gone to ensuring that the beds have quality mattresses and were dressed in good quality bed linen- it makes a difference and was very appreciated!! All of us felt the beds were so comfy. The cottage is located in one of the most beautiful valleys we visited during our holiday, lots of local walks plus quick access to the higher hills if you want it. During our time we visited Zipworld (in the rain), it was great, the Pistyl waterfall which was beautiful (though daughter fell in!), take good walking boots it is slippy! Locally "The Bryn" Inn is both dog friendly and provides good, well cooked pub food from quite an extensive menu. Staff are also extremely welcoming. I think we'll be back as it was a great holiday.

23 Apr 2017
Thank you for the review. I try my hardest to make people comfortable. Delighted with it. Quite amusing too , not sure if your daughter laughed when she fell in though. What an adventure to talk about back at school.
It is lovely in the valley with the Dee flowing through it and The Berwyn mountains and moorland to the other side. You had a memorable holiday. Once again thank you.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing