“Great as a destination or a stopover.”

Scottish Equestrian Hotel
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed one night for a birthday ceilidh in nearby Lanark. The room was well equipped and spotlessly clean with a good shower. Breakfast was excellent using good local produce. Very friendly staff who could not have been more helpful. An interesting area to tour but don't ignore that it is also fairly close to M74 so would also make a good stopover.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Viewlander

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I suppose after 5 years I must be classed as biased because I really love this place - it's just like coming home and I can't imagine how other reviewers could class the staff as rude - they are wonderfully welcoming and determined that you enjoy your holiday. The instructors do push you a little (which is what I'd expect as otherwise there's no improvement) - we had great lessons from Lindsey, Paul and Sandra and felt we learnt something from each of them. The hacks were not quite as good this year but that's due to the horrid winter storms which have brought down some of the trees and blocked routes so this will get sorted - to balance this there are some new winding trails through the woods which are great fun even at trot (tests out your steering and reminds you to watch your knees!) and no worries about mud. The ride to New Lanark is also just as good and the views may have been improved by the loss of a few trees. With good ground by the end of the week we got to try the cross country jumps in the clock tower field and canter on the racecourse. The indoor school is excellent with mirrors to help you get correct position and has a good surface. The horses are fit and well cared for - they may not always be brushed to a high gleam but they do get the chance to be horses in the fields which means that sometimes they are a bit muddy and wet when they come in for riding - those who know are aware that you shouldn't groom unnecessarily at this stage. The rooms and food are as good as ever - I just wish this centre was round the corner from home - I'd be there all the time!!

Room Tip: I still like overlooking the courtyard with the view over to the hills>
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank JAYBEE15KR
MaureenTaylor, Owner at Scottish Equestrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thankyou so much for your lovely review. Its a pleasure seeing you each time and we hope you continue to enjoy spendng time here

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the B&B for 3 nights and enjoyed a very comfortable room and excellent breakfast! All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a group-on deal for 3 hours of riding for 2 days with 2 nights b&b plus afternoon tea on both days. We were complete beginners and learnt a lot from the knowledgeable and encouraging staff. All of the staff were passionate about the horses and very hardworking. Thanks for a wonderful time!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thankyu for a lovely review

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed for 2 nights with my daughter who is 10 and we had a days riding on the saturday. We had a really lovely stay. The staff were warm and friendly and we were very well looked after. We had a lovely room with good facilities and it was comfy and clean.
The riding was perfect, it was pitched at our ability, taking account of our learning needs whilst being very enabling and allowing us to push ourselves! I feel that we both got some confidence back and its been a good way of getting us back into riding reguarly. Riding schools can so often be intimidating places and I was a bit nervous about going but the scottish equestrian was nothing like that. all the staff were approachable and friendly and wanted us to have an enjoyable time.
All in all we had a lovely weekend and I would highly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just spent the most fantastic weekend at Scottish Equi. I ride here every Saturday because I love it and love their horses. A couple of my friends from work wanted to come with me. We decided we would have an overnight and do Maureen's masterclass, which takes place on the last Friday of each month at 6.30pm, and then stay overnight to ride the next day. The masterclass was brilliant, really helpful and gave us great points to work on. The rooms are lovely and we all slept really well. Breakfast was fantastic, great fresh produce and free range eggs - just what we all needed to start our day. We had lessons and a hack. It was so much fun, we had such a good laugh. One of my friends has hardly ridden and we had her going over a small jump by the end of our second lesson. It was fabulous. The girls loved it and the horses were excellent. Thank you so much to all at Scottish Equi - especially Maureen, Lindsey, Cara and Leeanne and of course the horses xx

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my 8 year old daughter with a groupon deal which included B&B 3 hours of riding each day and afternoon tea.
Room's are spotlessly clean and well appointed with comfortable bed's and are cosy which is great if you have been caught in the rain,

I was on Albert, who is a really gentle horse, felt really safe with him. By the end of the weekend I felt I had really started to make progress with getting back into my riding, the more they explained thing's to me the more confident I felt. My daughter was on both Texas and Freddie both really sweet ponies. I could not believe the progress she made in a weekend. All the staff were great with her and got her chatting away, they were happy to answer any of her questions and let her see where Freddie and Texas lived and gave her lots of fun little facts about them. She loved it all.

Afternoon tea was yummy and generous. On the second day my husband arrived in time to share this with us. We ate all our meals at the hotel and they were nice, daughter ate chocolate fudge cake in about two seconds.

As my husband came up with our other kids on the last day, my younger daughter, 4, was able to have a pony ride which is only £5 she was delighted to get to join in on the fun.

Close to the train station and Lanark Loch where we went on both days for a walk between activities.

This was a groupon deal and was really good value, I would go back again without the deal. We have already bought the 2 hour riding lesson deal they have on groupon now and will then start to book regular lessons.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Dear Equestrian Hotel Team,

You were all fantastic! We had such a lovely time. We enjoyed your friendliness and helpfulness, clean rooms, great food and most importantly your amazing horses, awesome hacks and knowledgeable teaching. We will definitely be back soon for a longer stay and will keep on recommending you.

Cuddles to Theo, Molly and Albert!

Many thanks,
Sabine & Juliane

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

What a lovely review. Thankyou very much

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
2 mi away
#1 of 8 in Lanark
Oakwood Boutique B&B
Oakwood Boutique B&B
#2 of 8 in Lanark

Been to Scottish Equestrian Hotel? Share your experiences!