“Lessons on customer service required at the bar”

New Lanark Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Edinburgh
“Lessons on customer service required at the bar”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My husband and I took my parents to the hotel for lunch, we were told we could go through to the bar for lunch. We made our order with the barmaid...no smile, no courtesy nothing. She came to our table and dumped the cutlery in the middle of the table, then when our lunch arived she never asked whose meal was whose, set it on the edge of the table n left leaving us to sort it out. I asked for a coke and again just a mere grunt acknowledging my request. NOT ONCE did this woman smile or communicate with us in any way, she never spoke at all, she was possibly the most ill-mannered waitress I've met. There was a wedding there that day so I did not want to make a scene by complaining to barstaff or reception but they seriously need to look at their people skills in the bar. Good luck to any wedding parties going there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank MrsArchibald
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I would like to apologise for any shortcomings you experienced in the bar whilst visiting our hotel on Saturday afternoon. I am both horrified and shocked to read about your experience. Please be assured that this is certainly not our normal standard. You will see from other reviews on tripadvisor that we regularly receive praise in relation to our customer service and do hold a high customer satisfaction rating. We are listed as the number one hotel within the Lanarkshire area and we are very proud of our achievement to date. The fact that we got it so drastically wrong on Saturday afternoon is unacceptable. Please be assured this will not happen again.

I have already discussed your review with my management team. The poor level of service that you received will not be tolerated. I will take appropriate action to rectify the shortcomings immediately.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss your visit in greater detail. I would welcome the opportunity to talk through the experience with you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, please accept my sincere apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

John Stirrat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Just returned from a six day group holiday at this hotel. As group leader for a party of 50 people I am always concerned regarding the quality of the hotels I book for our members. I would therefore like to convey our groups thanks to all the staff and management for their efforts in making our stay the most enjoyable we have had to date. The standard and cleanliness of the rooms was superb as was the choice and quality of the food, combine this with the superb setting next to the river Clyde, the nature reserve, The New Lanark World Heritage Site and the added bonus of your new leisure complex and spa and we had the complete package for a great stay. We all wish you success in the future and look forward to returning in the future. Mr. Terence Wray

Room Tip: Ask for a view across the river gorge
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear Mr Wray,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark. I am delighted that your group had such an enjoyable time with us. We thoroughly enjoyed having your group stay with us and hope that you may consider returning again in the future.

I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to see you on Friday when your group departed. Unfortunately we didn't win the CIS Award on Thursday night but it was certainly a privalige to be nominated and to be a finalist. Fingers crossed for next year.

Once again thank you for your kind comments on Tripadvisor and please pass my thanks onto your group for making our week so enjoyable.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We were married at the New Lanark Mill Hotel. We had a fantastic day which went really smoothly due to the efficient and friendly team at the hotel. We received a lovely welcome when we arrived the night before the wedding and the staff accomodated all our wedding related needs with enthusiasm and diligence. We were married in the hotel in a lovely peaceful room which had views of the mill buildings then ate a gorgeous wedding breakfast. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening reception and all our guests commented on what a great venue the hotel is and how much they enjoyed themselves. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed and have lovely views of the river or mill buildings; gorgeous secenery to wake up to!

Room Tip: The Harmony Suite is luxurious treat!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review on our hotel following your recent Wedding Day. I am so happy to read that you had an enjoyable time. We always strive to ensure all of our guests receive the highest level of service and attention and I hope we achieved this for you.

New Lanark is a perfect wedding venue and on behalf of the team I would like to thank you for choosing us. May I wish you all the best for a long and happy marriage and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Enjoyed an excellent short break . Hotel setting beautiful in a world heritage restored site . The hotel is in No 1 mill of the old cotton mills and the entire village has been

restored . Hotel immaculate. Staff , friendly and helpful, food fantastic,room beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel.

We always appreciate positive feedback and on behalf of the team I would like to thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

England
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I have visited several times now and stayed in the magnificent waterhouses which \I would recommend to anyone. In fact some of my friends have now stayed and they have raved how good it is.
The waterhouses are excellent value for money and the staff have always been extremely helpful, polite and corteous.
It is with great regret that I have to write the following as we have had such good experiences here.
Unfortunately, whilst trying to book our last visit we encountered several problems in geting it booked. We called on at least three occassions but got no answer and no resposnse from our requests left on answerphone to call us back. We also sent an email with no response.
I had hoped to discuss this with the manager, who has always been extremely helpfull, but missed him during our stay.
I have left three messages with reception requesting that he call me but I have not yet had a reply.
This has rather soured what has been an exceptional place to which we retreat to recharge our batteries.
I would much rather have discussed this personnally with the manager but it would appear messages are not being passed to him.

Room Tip: Aks for the Waterhouses. Such fantastic value and.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. I am glad to read that you have had an enjoyable stay in our Waterhouses. However I am sorry to read that you have had difficulties making a booking. Please can you call me at the hotel and inform my reception staff that you wish to speak to me concerning your review on tripadvisor. I am unable to provide you with my direct dial number on here but I am very keen to speak with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

For anyone with an interest in our industrial past this location is a must see. It is possible to imagine being there when it was working at its full capacity providing local work for a worthwhile product and to realise that workers were treated better here than many similar industrial areas. But it is also sad to believe that it was lost to this area when being one of the largest places for its product and having the natural free power of the river. The restoration work etc is second to none and it is a lovely place for us both for the scenery,hotel quality and the nature it has in abundance.Our three days was blessed with exceptional weather but the river scenery will be stunning whatever the season. There are many reasons for us to visit again , the hotel and its excellent staff, good food,a room with lovely views,plenty of local places to see and a good train service to either Glasgow or Edinburgh which we found out on our last day from the excellent tourist office. Only two things can be said on the critical side. Our duvet was too heavy and the pillows not to our liking. Lanark town a bit tired but we have similar in our own area a result mostly of out of town development. The nearby retail sites have much to answer for.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor ,a double with river view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel and New Lanark following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable time. We are blessed to have our hotel set within such a beautiful location and I am glad that you were able to have the opportunity of exploring the area. Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel and I very much hope that you will be able to return in the future and enjoy another short break with us.

Hull
Reviewed 11 May 2011

The setting of New Lanark Mill is beautiful and our wedding day was helped by fantastic weather. Most rooms look out over the river Clyde and are spacious and comfortable. The honeymoon suite (large room) is lovely, but doesn't overlook the river. The champagne breakfast, the morning after was great. The staff were always helpful. All of our guests who stayed were very impressed apart from one who had trouble sleeping due to the sound of running water from the river! Most find this very relaxing.
We have stayed overnight previously and the restaurant food was excellent. Some of the wedding food could have been presented a little better when catering for 100 guests, but overall a really good wedding venue.

Room Tip: top floor gives best views
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your Wedding Day at our Hotel. We all very much appreciate your positive comments. Hopefully we may see you return in the future or even possibly return to celebrate your 1st Wedding Anniversary with us!.

John Stirrat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
Best Western Cartland Bridge Hotel
Robertson Arms Hotel
Robertson Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carnwath
The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel

Been to New Lanark Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!