“Impressive Hotel Location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lanark
Lancashire, England
“Impressive Hotel Location”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here and it was just as enjoyable as the first stay. The restaurant has been refurbished and looks better.... The sounding doorbell can be a little annoying, surely the waiting staff could carry an alarm which vibrates/ flashes on their wrist when food is ready in the kitchen!

Staff were pleasant and helpful , we were able to have some 'banter' with the staff on both nights we ate in he restaurant. The food was exciting.
Staying mid week meant the hotel and pool were not too busy.
Our bedroom was on the 6th (Top) floor with views of River Clyde. It was a nice room our only issue was the that the bed was too firm for us (we have a softer bed at home) also there was a plastic mattress protector which made our sleep uncomfortable.
Besides a kettle we also had an Espresso machine and coffee pods

Overall we had a very good relaxing stay and would certainly return again (if the mattress protectors can be removed!)
Situated on a world Heritage Site, allows you to enjoy a peaceful and enjoyable environment. We were unable to book any of the Spa services as they had no appointments (enough staff) available on either day. Prices are very reasonable and I would suggest you make appointments before you arrive.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I bought a groupon voucher for a spa day which included treatments, lunch and access to the facilities. It was fantastic and the staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great day. I have been to Stobo and I would say this comes in a very close second for the Way we were treated and the treatments themselves. I really couldn't fault this spa in anyway and I can't wait to go back!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank sammyanne08
Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went for three day DBB deal and I don't understand how they did it for the money. The room was clean, spacious and a great view of the Clyde, but I think they all do. The dinner menu is apparently there for the season but there was plenty of choice and none, between us, disappointed. Breakfast was always good too. To cap it all the staff, to a person, were pleasant and helpful. My only gripe would be that there was a wedding reception on the Friday night and although our room was two floors above it, I still felt a part of it until it stopped at around midnight. There's a pleasant walk along the Clyde as well as the heritage centre, the tickets for which were included the cost, all well worth a visit.

Room Tip: The top floor (6) is the furthest away from the function room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very good accommodation in large clean room with excellent views of the river. Part of the world heritage attraction which is very interesting with many aspects which would appeal to young and old alike

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A hotel in a converted Mill - history is all around but the charity, utopian and cooperative vision of Robert Owen has long been lost - replaced with a child unfriendly attitude and a set of discriminating rules against children (ageism) e.g. children not allowed to swim before 10am even though the pool opens at 7am and they are not allowed in the bar area when it is busy. We would have enjoyed a family swim before breakfast. We stay in lots of family hotels across the world and I wouldn't class this as a family hotel as they market themselves. Nice building shame about the staff and the outdated Edwardian rules and style.

Room Tip: Don't take your children.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard B
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at New Lanark Mill Hotel. I am of course very disappointed to read that a particular element of your stay in relation to children's hours was not to your satisfaction. Our children's hours for the swimming pool are clearly stated on our website, in our guest directory and also on the wall at the swimming pool entrance. We do not hide the fact that there are set hours for children using the pool. We understand that this may not be suitable to everyone but we do have to meet the needs and requirements of all guests who use the pool area.

Also I would like to stress that children are of course allowed entry into our bar. However there are legal requirements that we must follow in relation to licensing laws. If at the time of your visit your child was not allowed entry into the bar it is most likely due to the fact that the times of when children are legally allowed access into the bar were exceeded. My staff have been trained in the current licensing laws and if they did not allow your child into the bar it was because they were abiding by the rules of the law. Failure to follow these rules can lead to imprisonment.

I'm very sorry if you feel that we should not be marketing our hotel as a family hotel. We welcome one and all and hold no restrictions on this and we do have a number of marketing strategies in place. However we haven't actually intentionally advertised the hotel as 'family hotel'. On a number of internet booking sites you may find the words 'family friendly' or 'families welcome' appearing next to our listing. These haven't been put there by us, they have been generated from words used in guest reviews on these sites. This obviously shows that a number of our guests who provide feedback actually do perceive our hotel as family friendly and we are proud to say that the vast majority of guests who stay with us do have an enjoyable experience.

We are by no means Edwardian in style or follow such rules. I can only apologise if the children's hours in the swimming pool did not meet with your satisfaction however I firmly believe that my team are polite, helpful and friendly and they work very hard to meet our guests expectations. It does appear that on this occasion we were unable to meet yours. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Should you wish to discuss my response or any other aspect of your stay in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had our wedding there and Lynne and her team were great. I could go on about how relaxed they made the day but safe to say its a great venue and great folks looking after it. Everyone made such positive comments.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
hotelsmanager, General Manager at New Lanark Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your recent wedding at New Lanark Mill Hotel. I am so pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable day and that Lynne and the team carried out their duties well. I have passed your review onto them and I know that they very much appreciate your kind words.

Thank you for choosing us as the venue for your special day and on behalf of the team I would like to wish you lots of happiness for your future together.

Kind regards.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice pint of beer and decent pie.
Came in for evening meal, stayed at the Youth Hostel.
Staff were keen to help and fast.
However drumming on the bar with your fingers (I'm sure just nervously) whilst waiting for me to order is quite off putting.

I was very hungry as I'd cycled to new lanark, the helping of mash with my pie was quite small, so I asked for some bread. The staff member looked a bit confused by this simple request, eventually producing two slices of cheap white bread, this would have been fine except they charged me for it on the bill. I did not query this, it just felt unnecessary.

Also really awful rock music blaring out on a sunday evening was off putting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Tom B
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our bar on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to New Lanark. I am of course disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your experience. I will of course discuss your concerns with the team including my Head Chef and Bar Supervisor. We very much welcome your feedback and we will take this on board.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss your visit in greater detail.

Kind regards,
John Stirrat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanark
Radstone Hotel
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,595 reviews

Been to New Lanark Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!