“Fine for what we needed.”
Review of Elstree Inn

Elstree Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Borehamwood
Mostyn, United Kingdom
“Fine for what we needed.”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here for one night, as we had tickets to watch a recording at the TV studios the next day.
The hotel is in walking distance of a number of shops, takeaways and the TV studios, so in a great location for us. We were able to get a good quality, cheap breakfast from the pub next door in the morning. Despite the hotel being next to a pub, there was very little noise to disturb us.
The receptionist was friendly, and engaged us in conversation before showing us to our room (15). She even let us stay parked at the hotel after we had checked out the next day, when we were at the studios.
The room was small, but we only really needed it to sleep in, so we weren't too bothered. I'd recommend bringing your own pillows, as the ones they offer are quite small, and there is only one each (on a double bed). The bed was pretty comfortable and we fell asleep quickly. The only problem with cleanliness that we noticed was that the bathroom bin hadn't been emptied before we arrived. It could do with a bit more ventilation, as the room was quite stuffy, even with the windows open constantly, although that will probably be different at other times of year. The kettle didn't work. We informed the receptionist before we left, and she said she would replace it. I was a little concerned about the safety and security of the room. Several of the electrical appliances were past their recommended testing date (including the kettle...). Also, the windows must have been broken, as they did not close, no matter what we tried.
For one night, at a relatively cheap price, the hotel was fine for what we needed it for, and my partner and I felt very welcomed. Whether it would be suitable for a longer stay, I'm not sure, but we would probably stay the night there again, if we return to the area.

Room Tip: Room 15 was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here on 17th May 2014 as we were at a wedding nearby. Paid £45 for a double room which was basic but was fine for us. All other hotels we could find in the area were far more expensive. If you are looking for 5 star go somewhere else and pay the price for it, but if you are looking for a good price then you won't find much cheaper than this. Staff friendly and helpful. Parking available right outside back door.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whoisthatchild
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Came here on 2/5/14 for a nights stay with my partner. On arrival the women behind the counter was very helpfull and pleasant. . Got shown our room and it was ok.. its not worth the price you pay tho..

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank csquir3s
ireland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at the Elstree Inn for just one night. I have been to London and surrounding area many times before and I have never slept as soundly as I did in this place. It is popular with workers, builders and BBC studio workers who have to get up at the crack of dawn which means the place is very quiet at night. I had a double ensuite. It was warm and clean and ideal for a lone traveller. The train station is about a 10 minute walk away (max) and the wifi is good too.

I would definitely use the Elstree Inn again

Room Tip: Room 15 is very quiet so ideal for anyone with an early start
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel, it is a good hotel which is why I keep going back!
The lady on reception is very friendly and will do anything to help. She put me in a bigger room halfway through my stay with no extra charge and no fuss. As I say, I have stayed here before and will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ChrWal
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed here in the middle of March. I had a single room and my daughter and her friend a double. I felt like I was in a PRISON CELL. I had a single en-suite. The wall beside my bed was full of dirty marks. There was no matress protector on the bed. The bath and sink were dirty. Didnt take a bath there. The toilet had brown grime marks around the bowl. The bathroom bin was still full of the previous guests rubbish. My daughters bathroom had a hole in the floor and she came back later to find a man in there fixing it! Then the receptionist appeared and when I informed her that he had left sticky glue all over the floor she actually put the bath mat over the top of it and told us to just walk around it! The locks on our bedroom doors werent very secure either. Felt dirty and unsafe. Think its usually a stop over for truck drivers/ work men. The wetherspoons next door is full of old men and not a friendly place at all. Infact one of the staff was very rude. I know that the Elstree Inn is cheap accomadation but to be quite honest I think they are robbing people at those prices! You need to ask to see your room before you pay up front. Wish I had! The only good thing about this place is Nora on the reception desk, Shes lovely.That and the door out of the place. Worse place I have ever stayed!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank meredis03

Travellers are raving about these Borehamwood hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I always try and start with the positives - 1. the irish receptionist was lovely, very chatty & friendly, 2. it was the cheapest room I could find in the area. 3. the location is good, right in the centre of town. And I'm afraid it ends there.
I had a single room with "ensuite", the room dimensions were roughly 13ft * 8ft, including the en-suite. The en-suite was probably the bees-knees back in the 70's (it might have been made of bakelite), but the dimensions were tiny and the shower curtain hanging against the toilet was off-putting. There was a pipe under the floor at the head of the bed which I think carried hot water to the other rooms, which starts expanding loudly enough to wake you up at 05.30.
I struggled with the rating, its not an unloved place, the vase of fresh daff's on a window on the stairs shows that. Maybe I just got an old room. The facilities are old and tired, but you feel the staff are doing the very best with what they've got to work with.
If you are used to staying in cheap guest houses then its probably fine, if you are used to budget hotel chains, of which there are several in Elstree, then you should probably avoid.

Room Tip: don't book a single room, unless you want to pretend you're Steve McQueen in The Great Escap...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borehamwood
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Ramada London North M1
#5 of 6 in Borehamwood
Travelodge Borehamwood Studio Way
Village Hotel London Watford

Been to Elstree Inn? Share your experiences!