Review Highlights
Good little flying school

After having my PPL issued, I wanted to start flying closer to home. Saw the reviews for MAK and... read more

Reviewed 27 August 2019
sam131997
A good trip

Had a two way trip with 2 of us. One landing and back again with the other in the front. A bit of... read more

Reviewed 30 June 2019
Colin-Katrina
Kent, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

Loved ever minute. Great pilot Jvan made me take contol from start. Brilliant. I'll do it again. Thanks guys. Made my day.

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank richardcW7171TX
Reviewed 12 March 2016

I am a former pilot trained at Stapleford Airfield under a bunch of honest instructors genuinely interested in passing on skills and proficiency to aspiring airman.
Having lapsed for many years, I went to MAK Aviation at Elstree (now my nearest airfield) for retraining and revalidation.
BAD MOVE!
What I found to my cost and misfortune was a flight training club rife with disregard for safety, poor training and highly questionable methods of obtaining the maximum amount of cash the customer would bear.
'Gentle' Asif, the sly, manipulative proprietor since manager Malcolm was closed down by the CAA, is adept at extending training time to the limit. Known as 'two tests' Asif's philosophy is never test a flyer once, when two tests would bring in twice the profit.
There are many other policy devices to entrap the unwary.
On no less than three occasions, I flew aircraft dangerously unfit for service (at a cost of approximately £800) with instructor Juan who lacked the integrity to support my complaints. Not long after, I was charged £190 for landings I was not permitted to attempt because 'the engine needed running in! On yet another occasion when I disputed the timing and cost of a thirty-minute airfield-to-airfield return training flight (£257) he suggested that I 'just go' if I didn't like it.
Asif also likes to flatter gullible would-be pilots, suggesting an 'easy-peasy' ATPL awaits them after the PPL if they 'want' (and what young man or woman wouldn't?).
All part of his disingenuous 'encouragement' to keep the club turning an undeserved profit.
The instructors at MAK Aviation care only for the hours they accrue.
This shoddy, dishonest and unprofessional organisation is a disgrace to the other excellent flight training establishments available elsewhere on the aerodrome.
MAk Aviation lures customers with 'trial flights'. Take my advice, have your half hour or so of fun, then GO ELSEWHERE.

Jim M.

Date of experience: September 2015
8  Thank james m
MAKAviation, Manager at MAK Aviation Flight School, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

We must admit to being taken aback by the allegations made by James M regarding our company, MAK Aviation Flight School, and feel we have to set the record straight.

First of all, Malcolm was not 'closed down by the CAA'. The company being referred to was not his, he was only an employee - and in fact over a period of weeks assisted in the CAA investigation into improper practices by the chief instructor of that company.

Asif Khan had already founded MAK Aviation in 1999 and moved into the current office after the previous company (quite unconnected to MAK Aviation) had left. He is highly qualified, having over 16,000 flight hours and was previously Chief Flying Instructor with one of the largest flying schools in Europe.

James M refers to Mr Khan as 'two-tests Asif', a claim which is unsubstantiated by the facts. Similarly, James M claims that an aircraft he flew was 'dangerous' based on his difficulty in operating the control column. In his instructor's opinion, his difficulties were not symptomatic of any mechanical problem. Besides, as the aircraft has dual controls any such problem would have come to light during pre-flight checks before even entering the runway for takeoff. As with any flying school, safety is of the utmost importance to MAK and so, although James M's concerns were clearly unfounded, an independent engineer was engaged to rigorously inspect the aircraft. No fault was found.

After James M complained about the times charged for a flying detail, our Operations Supervisor checked with the two aerodromes involved - who confirmed that our times were correct, as confirmed by the aircraft's tachometer (a system similar to that used by HGV drivers).

We certainly do help students who need to know what steps should be taken to gain a commercial licence, and we always explain that it is going to be an expensive course.

It is strange that James M's experience as described in his review seems so utterly at odds with that of the many students who have learned to fly with MAK Aviation. We were surprised to receive such a negative review, and in fact the gentleman concerned had previously raised his concerns in person. These complaints were however quickly withdrawn and apologies issued.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

Good day out with Good instructor Juan. Learnt a lot and would definitely do it again.
Triple flying lesson well worth it although we only had me and one other passenger so it was just a double flying lesson, however definitely with the go! Thank you

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Leisha B
Reviewed 30 May 2015

I recently obtained my Fixed Wing licence. I already have a Rotary Licence. The flying was fun with keen and extremely helpful instructors, happily sharing their experience. Safety is a priority with MAK and it is overseen by Assif who has more than 17,000 flying hours. His gentle and knowledgeable approach is both reassuring and very beneficial. Malcolm, another pilot of serious flying hours and an Air Racer of note, is ever present to assist and accommodate you and your requirements. Danny who did my final instruction and whom I had booked for an hour said to me after 30 minutes " enough, I don't need to take any more of your money; you're ready to take your test " - testament that your situation both in training terms as well as financial is paramount, something not always that obvious in other schools. Dave, always a cheery smile is well worth having some lessons with, for the record.
I can't recommend them highly enough.

Date of experience: May 2015
2  Thank poggiobello1
Reviewed 29 May 2015

I have just finished my fixed wing training which was a great joy and enormous fun. A relaxed and friendly bunch of chaps happy to share their knowledge and not in any way pushy with regard to notching up extra hours to bolster their pay. Just prior to my test, I did a few circuits with Danny who after 30 minutes and three landings, said to me "enough, I don't need to take any more of your money" in spite of the fact that I had budgeted for one hours training. Overseen by Assif with 17,000 hours flying experience, always willing and happy to offer advice. The 5 * experience !

Date of experience: April 2015