Review Highlights
Good little flying school

After having my PPL issued, I wanted to start flying closer to home. Saw the reviews for MAK and... read more

Reviewed 27 August 2019
sam131997
A good trip

Had a two way trip with 2 of us. One landing and back again with the other in the front. A bit of... read more

Reviewed 30 June 2019
Colin-Katrina
Kent, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

I was quite shocked at the tone and content of James's review.
I undertook my re-training last year at MAK and was tested by Mr Khan himself. I passed first time with him and can only say that his relaxed demeanor helped me enormously. I even enjoyed some positive feedback and instruction whilst doing the test and afterwards. I now fly from Elstree in my own plane and have heard none of these rumors or stories about MAK or Mr Khan. I should add that I have no interest in MAK Aviation other than wishing to see fair play. James may well have had issues with MAK but I must honestly say that I did not and at no time felt that money was an issue at any stage.
I hope James has found his mojo and a flying school that has offered him what he requires.

Date of experience: October 2016
3  Thank Ronald C
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I was surprised to read James M's comments about MAK Aviation as I have made many visits to their company, thoroughly enjoyed the flying and always found the staff to be friendly, trustworthy and professional.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank peterjones947
Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

I recently needed a PPL revalidation. I flew with Asif extensively in the 90s and thought I'd go back to a name I trusted. How right I was. Great staff, atmosphere and the professionalism I expected. OK, you make your own tea and it's not based in a first class departure lounge but, you won't get better training.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank TripMember012520161
Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

Loved ever minute. Great pilot Jvan made me take contol from start. Brilliant. I'll do it again. Thanks guys. Made my day.

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank richardcW7171TX
Reviewed 12 March 2016

I am a former pilot trained at Stapleford Airfield under a bunch of honest instructors genuinely interested in passing on skills and proficiency to aspiring airman.
Having lapsed for many years, I went to MAK Aviation at Elstree (now my nearest airfield) for retraining and revalidation.
BAD MOVE!
What I found to my cost and misfortune was a flight training club rife with disregard for safety, poor training and highly questionable methods of obtaining the maximum amount of cash the customer would bear.
'Gentle' Asif, the sly, manipulative proprietor since manager Malcolm was closed down by the CAA, is adept at extending training time to the limit. Known as 'two tests' Asif's philosophy is never test a flyer once, when two tests would bring in twice the profit.
There are many other policy devices to entrap the unwary.
On no less than three occasions, I flew aircraft dangerously unfit for service (at a cost of approximately £800) with instructor Juan who lacked the integrity to support my complaints. Not long after, I was charged £190 for landings I was not permitted to attempt because 'the engine needed running in! On yet another occasion when I disputed the timing and cost of a thirty-minute airfield-to-airfield return training flight (£257) he suggested that I 'just go' if I didn't like it.
Asif also likes to flatter gullible would-be pilots, suggesting an 'easy-peasy' ATPL awaits them after the PPL if they 'want' (and what young man or woman wouldn't?).
All part of his disingenuous 'encouragement' to keep the club turning an undeserved profit.
The instructors at MAK Aviation care only for the hours they accrue.
This shoddy, dishonest and unprofessional organisation is a disgrace to the other excellent flight training establishments available elsewhere on the aerodrome.
MAk Aviation lures customers with 'trial flights'. Take my advice, have your half hour or so of fun, then GO ELSEWHERE.

Jim M.

Date of experience: September 2015
8  Thank james m
MAKAviation, Manager at MAK Aviation Flight School, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

We must admit to being taken aback by the allegations made by James M regarding our company, MAK Aviation Flight School, and feel we have to set the record straight.

First of all, Malcolm was not 'closed down by the CAA'. The company being referred to was not his, he was only an employee - and in fact over a period of weeks assisted in the CAA investigation into improper practices by the chief instructor of that company.

Asif Khan had already founded MAK Aviation in 1999 and moved into the current office after the previous company (quite unconnected to MAK Aviation) had left. He is highly qualified, having over 16,000 flight hours and was previously Chief Flying Instructor with one of the largest flying schools in Europe.

James M refers to Mr Khan as 'two-tests Asif', a claim which is unsubstantiated by the facts. Similarly, James M claims that an aircraft he flew was 'dangerous' based on his difficulty in operating the control column. In his instructor's opinion, his difficulties were not symptomatic of any mechanical problem. Besides, as the aircraft has dual controls any such problem would have come to light during pre-flight checks before even entering the runway for takeoff. As with any flying school, safety is of the utmost importance to MAK and so, although James M's concerns were clearly unfounded, an independent engineer was engaged to rigorously inspect the aircraft. No fault was found.

After James M complained about the times charged for a flying detail, our Operations Supervisor checked with the two aerodromes involved - who confirmed that our times were correct, as confirmed by the aircraft's tachometer (a system similar to that used by HGV drivers).

We certainly do help students who need to know what steps should be taken to gain a commercial licence, and we always explain that it is going to be an expensive course.

It is strange that James M's experience as described in his review seems so utterly at odds with that of the many students who have learned to fly with MAK Aviation. We were surprised to receive such a negative review, and in fact the gentleman concerned had previously raised his concerns in person. These complaints were however quickly withdrawn and apologies issued.