Review Highlights
Great PPL instruction

Completed my PPL here in June 2018. They were very flexible in accommodating my erratic work... read more

Reviewed 1 August 2018
BPH117
Redruth
A great experience

Reviewed 19 June 2018
BrianJ77
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom

All reviews flying experience ppl malcolm asif training khan instructor aircraft approach comments airfield present elstree
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I was given a flying experience as a present at MAK flying school. The staff were friendly and welcoming and our instructor, Arash, was really good. He explained everything we needed to know and was very generous with his comments on our handling of the aircraft even though we probably gave him a few moments of concern. I was allowed to take off from Elstree, with a little help from Arash, and fly to North Weald airfield in Essex where we had a quick look around the museum. I then got in the back seat and the other pupil flew us back to Elstree. It was a great afternoon, thank you MAK and particularly Arash.

1  Thank BrianJ77
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve had about three lessons with MAK now and really can’t speak highly enough of them; Malcom is a living legend who offers priceless advice, a wealth of knowledge and great stories, the instructors are some of friendliest and most laid back I’ve had, the aircraft seem fantastic and in great shape and the owners seem charming. I’m currently having one or two lessons a month forwards my PPL here - don’t read the negative reviews (mostly from one disgruntled guy), these guys are wonderful.

2  Thank Ryan G
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

My wife booked this flying lesson/ experience through Virgin.

Pros
-Flying a plan and sitting in cockpit was a fantastic experience.

-I got to experience the manoeuvring part

-you get certificate

-20 mins flight duration is just right

-Friendly staff

Cons
-plane was old, the door wouldn't shut properly - which was scary

-At first they couldn't find my booking.

All in all a good experience but needs improvement. Staff and Instructer could be more friendly.

2  Thank openfire23
Reviewed 21 June 2017

I have flown as a student of Asif Khan of MAK Aviation Flight School over a 20 year timespan and speak from personal experience including cross training types and PPL Renewals. I have also flown under others at MAK Aviation.

My experience is that Asif runs a professional highly regarded school as I would expect. Asif holds more qualifications than I can easily name including FAA, ATPL, IR, JET, CAA UK CPL, Examiner (ppl), MEP, SER, FERTO(r/t), and more. This means that Asif has enormous experience and ability I never feel safer than with him in the co-pilots seat next to me.

With over 43 years experience including having been Chief Flying Instructor with Cabair when it was one of the largest flying schools in Europe I wholeheartedly recommend this kind gentle man and his flying school. Throughout the flying fraternity on the airfield (and afar Asif is held in the highest regard and with complete respect a scrupulously honest and knowledgeable Instructor and pilot this man knows his trade.

2  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 9 June 2017

I write further concerning my disgust and dismay regarding the practices of Mak Aviation Fight School during the time of my training for currency.
Before my differences with them, I had inquired of my then instructor, Juan Torregrosa, why I had not been allowed to go solo despite consistently good landings, (during one training period alone, I had undertaken 9 consecutive perfectly executed touch-and-goes), and I was told with a shrug, 'It is up to Asif'. (the CFI).
I had already begun to suspect the cynical, sly Asif of playing games with me. (Indeed, after our dispute, I was told he had a mission to drain me of what he thought to be 'limited funds'.
I do not know why that should be the case, but I had been subject to various costly and waste-of-time flights that left me bereft of understanding. (I had thought, at one point, that he had problems).
The difficulties came when I expressed confusion to instructor Juan T, about flight times. He could not explain them and said he would consult Asif. By this time I was losing confidence with MAK. What with the runaround I seemed to be getting, Juan T shed a brief tear in the café one morning, saying, 'If only I could lay my hands on £3000, I could apply for work with the airlines'. I had felt sorry for him.
Two days after the queried flight times, I walked into Mak offices and was confronted tentatively by Juan T and an angry, defensive Asif Khan. (I thought these men, for all that had gone on, were my friends). I was accused of calling them cheats, which I had most certainly had not, and was told by a swearing Asif to 'Just .... off!
I left the premises feeling confused and wounded.
Having thought things over and realised I had been the victim of scamming practices endorsed by the despicably underhand Asif, I returned to the office and demanded a part-refund of my flight costs. Inviting me to talk outside, Asif said he feared I would go to the CAA 'over nothing'. His eyes were tear-filled and I felt sad and ashamed that I had made him worry for his flight school. I left on his offer to recompense me for my 'unhappiness with the situation'.
At home, I decided to allay any fears Juan and Asif may have had about their future in aviation, by sending texts absolving them of any wrongdoing.
In doing so, I displayed a crass naivety and stupidity.
Needless to say, I received no re-fund from Asif Khan and only a part-apology from Juan Torregosa.
I was cheated and financially abused by Mak aviation - by the disingenuous, crafty Asif.
His account of 'losing control' and apparent 'looking for a fight', (I am 75 years-old) is nonsense and yet further indication of his very suspect integrity.
I flew dangerous aircraft on occasion and was outrageously overcharged.
Silly old aviators beware.

MAKAviation, Manager at MAK Aviation Flight School, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

I am a self employed Aviation Operations Manager. I was working under contract at MAK
Aviation when Mr. Maloney was undergoing flight training there.
The principal objects of my position were to ensure safe and punctual operations of instructors and aircraft, and supply the customers with a good service.
On June 7th last year Mr. Maloney turned up with a flight gift voucher and flew with us. He appeared entirely satisfied and booked further lessons. It transpired that he held a licence up to 1980 and wished to renew it. He told me not to phone him at home as his wife did not know he was flying. He flew with us regularly without complaint until February 9th when he went to another aerodrome with his regular instructor. The next day the instructor told me Maloney had complained about the timing of the flight and the bill for same. I checked with Air Traffic here at Elstree, and at the other aerodrome, and they confirmed the times the instructor had recorded.
For some time Maloney had been pushing for the instructor to let him fly on his own, however his performance was not consistent so on the 16th of February he was booked to fly with the Chief Instructor. On this flight he forgot routine checks and got lost.
On the 16th he attended again. It was decided he would fly with another instructor as surely if three instructors said he was not ready he would believe them. On this occasion close to landing Maloney flew into a rage, threw his headset aside and let go of the controls, leaving the instructor to quickly take control.
He then appeared in the office still in a rage and behaving in a very threatening way, claiming the instructor had been fiddling for months, both for his benefit and the company's. I explained to him the Air Traffic at both aerodromes had confirmed his times, whereupon he said they were fiddling too! There was a further problem with him flying solo as he did not have a current medical. When questioned he said he did not take medication and was fit, but we explained that was not sufficient and that he must get a medical to fly on his own.
He came again the next day and we again told him the times had been confirmed and showed him the metered readings in the aircraft which agreed with the times. At this point he calmed down and left.
On the morning of the 11th March he arrived again and apologised, shaking hands all round. He had already sent apologetic texts, but unfortunately the same afternoon he then turned up again in a very threatening mood, in fact so bad that I started to call the police. At that point he disappeared.
On the 16th March I made a statement which I took to the police. They contacted Maloney and told him to stay away from MAK office otherwise he would be arrested.
We were issued with a crime number and a dedicated phone number.