Review Highlights
Good little flying school

After having my PPL issued, I wanted to start flying closer to home. Saw the reviews for MAK and... read more

Reviewed 27 August 2019
sam131997
Really good experience.

I received a 30 minute flying lesson (with another participant, so I did 30 minutes observation as... read more

Reviewed 8 July 2019
mikeymca
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2019

I enjoyed my trip to them and found my trip enjoyable. I had a lovely time and Malcolm was a good OPS person

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

As a group of friends, we had bought a voucher for a double flying lesson for our friends birthday present. We set off early from Essex, calling as we left as instructed by the form, and making sure were were there in plenty of time for our flight.

Having booked the day months in advance, so that we could all get the day off, we were met to be told that we were unable to fly.
The company said they had called, which they had at 3pm the day before, but no message was left. In addition, no further attempts were made to call, nor email, regarding the fact a change had been made to the flight.

The company were un-tactful in their approach and the poor customer service - very abrupt, rude and uncompromising. The reason the flight had to be moved changed between them being short of a pilot, and ‘the other person not being able to make it’ - however we found out a pilot had been ill all week so the former seemed more likely.
Eventually, we greed to a later flight by had to rearrange our food plans and trips in Essex (an hour away) because of the 4-5 hour delay.

We arrived 15 minutes before our newly allotted time, as per the voucher, however no one was there to meet us. The 15 minutes passed, and still no answer to phone calls or doorbell, but an arrival 10 minutes past this time, but 25 minutes past the ‘get ready to sign up time’.

Upon finally being let in, we were then informed that the flight would only be 30 minutes, as opposed to the full hour with observation. This had not been explained or clarified before, and for a birthday voucher we had all chipped in to pay, there was a huge sense of disappointment that this was not communicated prior.
The greeting, Reception and exchange were all terribly poor with even one of their own instructors saying they wouldn’t run the place in that way.

It is clear to see that this company operates in a substandard way, and has no customer care.

Yes, our friend was able to fly, but it was cut short, only after a long delay, a heated exchange from the managing director lacked any professionalism and quite frankly, it was disappointment after disappointment.

The voucher may have been bought via an operator but the company have little customer care or high standards regardless of this fact.

Date of experience: September 2018
MAKAviation, Manager at MAK Aviation Flight School, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Yes, as operations manager I agree there was a lack of communication, but not on our part, viz:

1. George, the purchaser of the voucher, failed to phone us the day before the flight, as advised by the voucher company..
2 Having received a call from me that day he failed to return it and apparently failed to hear my message. I had no email address.
3 He tried to phone us in the morning before we arrived at the office.
4 He failed to accept my advice that as the flight could not go ahead at 1000 and the other participant could not come later, it would
be better to postpone to another day.
5 He failed to realise that a rebooking at 4 pm was a booking at 4 pm, not 3-45.
6. He forgot that I had already told him the other voucher holder was not coming and George then got annoyed that his friend would
miss the chance to see the other participant flying.
We always do our utmost to carry out the instructions from the voucher company in order that their customers get full value, as confirmed by other reviews.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We had booked a flight experience for our best friends birthday via Adventure 001. Our booking was to check in at MAK Aviation for 9:45am and fly at 10am. We arrived early as we had a long journey and wanted to leave in plenty of time as it states on our booking “If you’re late, we don’t wait”!
It was a beautiful clear day for flying. At 9am we arrived at MAK Aviation however the office was closed, and the office didn’t open till 10am despite the fact we should have registered by 9:45am and be in the air for 10am. We were met by Malcom, who very bluntly told us “Your flight is cancelled, what other day can you make?” As it was so blasé we thought it was a joke, but no MAK Aviation told us on the day that our experience it was cancelled and another day has to be arranged. There was no apology for the inconvenience, or any form of customer service, we found Malcom to be quite rude and very blunt about the situation, not empathetic towards our disappointment nor did we receive any form of apology what so ever, and given a very soppy excuse of “its to do with staffing”.
Asif who we believe to be the owner stepped in as we frankly stated that’s not good enough, and he offered us a 3:30pm slot, 5hours later than our planned time. (Better than coming back another day, but also still very disappointing and incredibly inconvenient, as well as terrible handled/ delt with)
We returned at MAK Aviation at 3pm after scoping out the local area. The office was closed again, the office didn’t then open till 3:40pm late again for our 3:30pm flight. We were then told again by Malcom, “4:00pm it’s going to have to be” by this point we were extremely fed up to say the least! 4:15pm our friend was taken to the aircraft where he was then told its only 30mins even though we had booked and paid for a double flight.
We have never been so disappointed by such low standards of customer service. We found the whole experience a shambles and huge parts of our day wasted!
Very very poor! Woukd never go back!

Date of experience: September 2018
MAKAviation, Manager at MAK Aviation Flight School, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

I am the operations manager at MAK Aviation. The voucher company, that sold the flight, advises customers, especially with morning bookings, to phone the day before to check if the flight is going ahead. This George did not do. Accordingly I phoned him in the afternoon to tell him not to come in the next morning as we were short of aircraft but he did not answer, so I left a message. I added that I would phone in the morning to offer a later flight.

George has agreed that I phoned but denied receiving a message.

My instructor says he had opened the office by 0945 and met George's group. Two other staff members then arrived before 1000 and I asked George why he had turned up when told not to do so, and why he had not phoned the day before as advised. I then confirmed that we could not carry out the 10 o'clock flight but could fit them in in the afternoon, but it would be better to just reconvene on another day. It then transpired that the other voucher holder going with George's friend could not come in the afternoon anyway, which made it even more sensible to postpone to another date. George insisted that his friend should do the flight. He refused the invitation that he could go with him.

Finally Mr. Starmer, to whom George had given the flight, did in fact fly and thoroughly enjoyed it, only disappointed that the other voucher holder could not come and therefore he could not watch him from the rear seat.

Clearly if George had communicated with us as advised and therefore arrived later, or moved to another day, this whole unfortunate situation would have been avoided.

Reviewed 1 August 2018

Completed my PPL here in June 2018. They were very flexible in accommodating my erratic work schedule. David was my primary instructor and was very knowledgeable, thorough and patient. What Asif and Malcolm don't know about flying probably isn't worth knowing and they were always willing to answer questions. The aircraft had great serviceability throughout. A good aspect of the school is the complete absence of a hard-sell approach - you advance at your own pace. I commend MAK to anyone looking to gain their flying qualifications.

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank BPH117
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I was given a flying experience as a present at MAK flying school. The staff were friendly and welcoming and our instructor, Arash, was really good. He explained everything we needed to know and was very generous with his comments on our handling of the aircraft even though we probably gave him a few moments of concern. I was allowed to take off from Elstree, with a little help from Arash, and fly to North Weald airfield in Essex where we had a quick look around the museum. I then got in the back seat and the other pupil flew us back to Elstree. It was a great afternoon, thank you MAK and particularly Arash.

Date of experience: June 2018