“Would come again”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Would come again”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and had a great stay. Friendly, warm, professional welcome. Room was good value. The free car parking was a bonus. Good location and convenient for Luton Airport. Plenty of choice for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fivethirtyi
IbisLondonElstree, General Manager at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Melih Yanik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have to start by pointing out that this is a budget hotel. BUT rooms are great, showers are fantastic and the service is excellent. If you need a cheap hotel just north of London this could be ideal.

Room Tip: Avoid the lift atrium area as the lift "pings" all night.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EileenMac

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We recently stayed a night in this hotel as we had a function to go to close by. The location was great for us, only a 2 minute walk to our venue, however if you want a quiet location, do request a room overlooking the car park, and not the road, as the police station is across the road and we did get woken by the sirens at 8am on a Sunday morning. The room itself was compact, but perfectly formed with a confortable bed, kettle, tea & coffee and a small en-suite. The only complaint was the shower did not work, however on check out, we told the receptionist and he advised us that the shower head can be turned on and off. He said that it was possibly and accidently turned off while it was being cleaned and if we had reported it earlier, we would have been advised of this. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on the food. The reception staff were always friendly and only too happy to help.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay J

Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After spending a week at the Brighton Ibis and finding it to be nothing short of excellent for a budget hotel, when circumstances caused my partner and I to need a hotel in Herts at short notice we chose the Borehamwood/Esltree Ibis based on our previous experiences. It's well located, with maybe a 15 minute walk along the main high street to the train station. Also has a massive Tesco 2 minutes a way, and parking is great with there being a smaller, hotel specific car-park which overflows into a bigger, multipurpose car park. Although this is paid, Ibis will give you a voucher on request which means it is free to park.

Sadly this one did not quite live up to the standards we'd found in Brighton Ibis, however if only staying for a few nights (as we did) then it is perfectly acceptable, however I would recommend paying a little more for a more comfortable experience if staying longer.

My biggest problem was the temperature of the room at night; when I saw the room had AC that seemed to adjust all the way to 5 degrees up to 30, I was delighted; we prefer to sleep in a colder room (less than 15) so were very pleased with this. We were therefore very disappointed to find that when set to less than 18, the AC automatically switched itself off (with an audible click) and no amount of tampering would remedy this. Consequently, two of our three nights were spent absolutely roasting (despite our stay being in January), even with the window flung open the few inches allowed- I'm aware this is a child safety measure but perhaps making the safety cord detachable with a key could be an option.

The bed however was very comfy; the standard Ibis type. Pillows were a good chunkiness for me too.

The décor of this Ibis was a little disheartening; the carpeted floor was an improvement on our Brighton stay but the wall to the en suite was coloured, and made of a material that resembled a fabric Band-Aid... not the most aesthetically pleasing material!

Bathroom had a large shower which easily can accommodate two people. However the drain on it and the sink were not functioning well and you had to be careful not to flood it by leaving the water running too late.

Was quite appalled when turning on the TV the continual attempts to try and pry money out of you with the offers of various movie, TV and adult packages, all when we wanted to watch the news! Having to navigate our way each time we turned on the TV did turn into a chore and was fairly frustrating.

The breakfast buffet was a little disappointing; we went at 09:30 and got the feeling the food was cooked for the starting time (6, I think) then simply reheated every so often. Would have just preferred it to be hotter. However there was a decent selection; Bacon, scrambled egg, sausages, baked beans, fresh tomato, hash browns, croissants, baguettes, white and brown sliced bread, chocolate muffins, condiments and fresh orange and apple juice. The coffee machine did make a mean cappuccino though. One word of advice; if making toast put it on BEFORE you start loading your plate, and make sure its on the max setting; I'm not convinced the toaster was from this decade and it took really quite a long time to pop, and when done on setting '3' came out still soft. Also disappointed at the lack of brown sauce.

However, despite my complains for our short notice stay it was acceptable, however I have found other Ibis' to be more pleasant and other budget hotels to provide a superior service for a similar price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ams645

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is ideal if you have business in or around London. Not far from the train station into London. Rooms are of very good quality and the hotel is newly built. Sign up for an Accor Card as well and you will get discount. Not the cheapest hotel in town but it has the best location and the best quality in my opinion - and I have stayed in others in the town.

Room Tip: Sign up for an Accor Card as it gets you discount if you stay there again.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig W
IbisLondonElstree, General Manager at Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood, responded to this review, 14 January 2014

Melih Yanik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borehamwood
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
#617 of 1,063 in London
Jurys Inn London Watford
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Village Hotel London Watford

Been to Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood? Share your experiences!