“Excelent”
Review of Palazzo Bocci

Palazzo Bocci
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Spello
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Excelent location, warming reception by the staff and the room was comfortble. The internet is a little bit Slow but works. The place to Park is very close to the hotel and its easy to get there (its right in Front of the hotel). A really good place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mtraldi

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband booked a two week holiday in Italy re-tracing the places we had stayed on our honeymoon 16 years ago. After a week in a converted farmhouse in Rapolano Terme, where our accommodation was modest, but we were looked after wonderfully, well we were looking forward to a bit of luxury. We arrived on the 7th June 2014, we were greeted, with politeness and shown to our room, we carried our own bags. The hotel is a lovely old building and our room was very good, big enough, with a small office area that led onto a small patio, we were also given a bottle of champagne, so mostly a good start. We were never told that our holiday company had upgraded the room and sent us the champagne because of a mix up with our rental car.
The town of Spello is delightful with lot's of alleyways adorned with red geraniums so so pretty. After 3 nights we came to the conclusion that the only reason the hotel survives is because of where it is. Our breakfast was an incredibly meagre offering which included tinned fruit, my husband informed them on the first day that he was a coeliac, which appeared to be no problem. Actually it wasn't because they ignored it, so he had tinned fruit for breakfast. We never once saw a manager and on our first evening we returned after dinner in town to have a nightcap. My husband asked for a Grand Marnier with lots of ice, my husband helped them find the Grand Marnier which they poured into a large tumbler, no ice. So we left the drink and retired. The only time we went to the bar again was to see if anyone was in it, there was never another soul. Our room was kept clean and so was the hotel it just had no soul or atmosphere nor anyone who was interested. We only ever saw one person on duty at any time and that person was usually reading. We will not go back again, but we will return to Spello.

Room Tip: If you are there during the Flower Festival, you want to overlook the street so that you can see the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie H H
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A very special place with friendly staff located within the confines of the historical centre of Spello but with good parking right across the street. What mor can one say but excellent in every respect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I spent five days at the Palazzo Bocci as part of a group tour of Umbria. We had a junior suite whose window overlooked the main street and a terrace overlooking the Umbrian country side. The room itself (206) had a bedroom with a king-size bed, a separate sitting room with a desk and upholstered chair and a large terrace with two chairs and a table. We loved it! Since it was unusually warm, we slept with all the windows open and except for the occasional car or truck, it was quiet. The breakfast was very good but hot food was extra. We had no trouble getting enough to eat and usually I brought a tray to our room so we could enjoy breakfast on our terrace. We received internet in our room as a part of the group package and it was a bit sketchy. My wife and I could not be online at the same time. I was surprised at the number of restaurants and shops just up or down the street from us. Everything from quick bites to fancy sit down places. The hotel had a large outdoor garden terrace where our group often met in evening for wine (BYOB) and conversation. The staff was helpful and spoke English. I can not think of any specific complaints and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank itsfordoc
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I spent five nights at Palazzo Bocci, a charming, elegant old world hotel located in the center of Spello. When I entered my room, I was surprised to see I'd been upgraded to a spacious, beautifully appointed junior suite -- at no extra cost. The bedroom overlooked historic Piazza Matteotti where the 15th century Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore is located. On the other side of the suite was a lovely stone terrace with spectacular views of the Umbrian valleys and hillsides.

The hotel has several sitting and reading areas, whose ceilings and walls are decorated with colorful pastoral frescoes. A generous buffet breakfast is included: Cold cuts, cheeses, fresh fruits, assorted pastries, cakes. A waitress is there to take your coffee order and handle any special requests. (Eggs are extra) The cappuccino is first rate and the American coffee is served in a heated pot, accompanied by a small carafe warm milk on the side. A very nice and much appreciated touch.

The hotel is located on Via Cavour in the heart of Spello. Step out the door and you're within a short walking distance to a multitude of wonderful restaurants, pizzerias, enotecas, specialty food, clothing and artisans shops. If you're arriving by car, the hotel provides you with a special FREE parking pass for the duration of your stay. How many hotels offer that? (The parking lot across the street is city-owned so make sure you ask the concierge for the pass.)

I enjoyed everything about my stay. The staff is very courteous and helpful. I highly recommend Palazzo Bocci. Not only is it centrally located -- a huge plus in my opinion -- it offers exceptional comfort and service at a very reasonable price. James. Venice Beach, CA.

Room Tip: If possible, try to reserve a junior suite. I loved having the extra room and the added views of th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank James458378
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This a very comfortable 4 star hotel at very reasonable prices; gracious public rooms, pretty, spacious comfortable room, nice helpful staff, very quiet. Have been there three or four times and we really look forward to going back. Everything a hotel should be!

Room Tip: Several good restaurants in Spello. Rooms at the back have the best views and are probably quieter...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas M
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We spent two nights in Spello. We travel in Italy quite a bit, and this place ranks as unfriendly. Separate reviews for restaurant will follow. This hotel was supposed to be four star. When I requested ice for our room, I was told that there is no ice in the hotel. Not the restaurant, not the bar, and not room service, I was told to go in search. There might be some I could bring back from a bar up the street. AC was turned off automatically and you had to request restart from the staff. WIFI is free, but only from the lobby area.You must repay daily to use in your room.The employees at the desk gave no recognition--not even a bonjourno until you basically demanded their attention. Italy is so wonderful--go to another town where you are welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Icanjusthearthewaves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spello
La Bastiglia
#2 of 17 in Foligno
Castello di Monterone
Castello di Monterone
#1 of 65 in Perugia

Been to Palazzo Bocci? Share your experiences!