Norwood Guest House
Sparth House Hotel(Clayton-le-Moors)
Sefton Hotel(Douglas)
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I’ve stayed here on numerous occasions and can wholeheartedly say that I’ve never been disappointed. The rooms are immaculately and tastefully decorated and the bedding is quality cotton. On top of the usual facilities, the owner thoughtfully adds numerous DVDs in the rooms which are a really nice touch, and Wi-Fi is available and free. Last but not least, the breakfast is outstanding with a wide range of options and cooked to perfection every time. I really look forward to it!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wendy L
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Great value for money. Well presented guest house with many little extras in the room...shoe cleaning kit, DVDs, alarm clock, tea, coffee and hot chocolate with biscuits (and many of them), not two or three milk cartons but as many as you might want,every type of bathroom luxury you could want - shampoos, shower cream, tissues, etc etc . Very comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast...fruit or cereal, massive full english and toast. Good wifi in room. Nothing seemed too great for the owner to provide. I think the negative review must have been written for another establishment as I don't recognise it for this guest house! Good decor. Wish i could find a guest house like this in other parts of the UK.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin P
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Can't say anything negative about this B+B.
We were made very welcome even after we arrived late and had to ring for directions.
Stuart was a true gent in every way.
The room was very comfy,clean and well appointed with Tea/Coffee etc.inc.DVD's!
The icing on the cake was the BEST full english breakfast ever!!
You won't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel 17/10 until 19/10 and it was lovely! I had my iPad which connected perfectly fine to the wifi in the room, I spoke to the owner shortly before I was due arrive to let them know I would be later than anticipated he was very polite and courteous and the lady who was there to meet me and I think was running the hotel while the owner was away couldn't have been more helpful! The cooked breakfast was the best I have had in a B&B. I really can't see what the negative views are about but that's just my opinion my stay was made very comfortable and pleasant

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My original review was taken down by tripadvisor as 'someone' had complained that I was reviewing aspects of the hotel I hadn't experienced. I would reiterate that I never actually got as far as the hotel, this is simply a customer service review. Original review...

I had to cancel my visit the day before my stay. I telephoned the hotel and spoke to the owner, who told me that there would be no refund at all. He directed me to the hotel's website where, under the Terms tab, this is indeed the position, but it would have been helpful if it had been mentioned on the phone, or on the 'tariff' page of the website where it would be read. I can understand a small hotel not offering refunds on late notice cancellation however, and I don't criticise them for it.

Unfortunately, what should have been a perfectly business-like phone call was dealt with very rudely and aggressively by the owner. The call proceeded very amicably until I remarked that the (rather concealed) policy was 'poor customer service'. I was told, in a rage, that I was being offensive, then treated to a tirade about his terms and conditions, his legal training, and the pressure he was under to run his business. He has, as another commenter has put it, no people skills at all.

Ttis may well be a lovely hotel, and is reasonably priced, but I would hesitate before staying in case something went wrong with my stay and I had to deal with someone with such a Napolean complex. As I told him on the phone, it's a shame - I would like to stay in independent hotels rather than chains, but characters like this so often mean that the important qualities of customer service and professionalism are completely lacking.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
17  Thank MustrumRidcully
norwood349, General Manager at Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2015

We have been attached please note that we have been in the hotel business for 30 years and The negative comments are merely as a result of the dozen or so people who abused the property importantly in the last 7 years that trip advisor have been without our approval been reviewing our business Nb several comments have not even stayed and were attacked by an individual who got their friends to write several review, trip advisor were alerted to this however they failed to respond to us