“Terrible Experience”

Norwood Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Accrington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Well I am a 19 year old Australian boy who had travelled all this way to trial at a football club nearby! I was taken to my room and given a talk about what I can and can't do at the hotel which was fine but felt as if he thought I was a young teenager who was going to mess the place up and not abide any of his rules! The room was very small and could only just accommodate for the suitcase I had brought with very minimal spare room. So my first morning I went down for breakfast and sat on the chair and the chair legs broke and I fell over I was not asked if I was "ok" at all and all I received was a fierce look from the owners eyes which made me feel very uncomfortable. The next day I went down for breakfast and sat on my chair and it collapsed , the owner did not check to see if I was ok after the fall and all I received was a fierce look as if it was my fault!

The next day I came back to my room to find a letter under my door saying that I was a health and safety hazard!

1. You must unpack your suitcase or you will be asked to leave

2. Do not leave your phone charger plugged in the wall in case a fire starts in the room .

3. Make sure you turn all lights off when you leave the room incase of combustion .

After receiving this note I felt very uncomfortable and under pressure to do such little things right! Any how I received mouthful of abuse the next morning at breakfast in front of other guests where I was utterly embarrassed. I told him he was overreacting and that I've done nothing wrong !! He did not make me feel very welcome at all and I would not recommend any one stays here as Stuart will not respect you even though you are paying a fortune for a terrible experience!

• Stayed: July 2014
19  Thank Charlie B

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very poor service towards myself and my friend. Patronising is a compliment to be honest. Seemed to regard me and my friend as a young person looking to party. Wouldn't allow us to check in early, even though a room was available and we had a wedding to attend. Would not recommend this place to anyone based on the reception.

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Barr306
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The man that owns the guest house has 2 of my friends staying with him, who are both blind, this weekend. When they rang up to book they told him that they were blind and diabetic. He said that was fine, and said he'd put them in a downstairs room. My friend Grania Brennan told him that she and Jonathan Milner required rails on the stairs. He accused them of not saying they were blind and diabetic when they booked, and I distinctly heard them do it. He also said that he was worried for their safety, which is understandable, as there weren't rails by the 2 steps out of the b&b. He said he couldn't have them for that reason, and was phoning in to try to get them in somewhere else. My friend was very upset because he accused her of losing it because she said she had told him they were blind. By law every business is required to make reasonable adaptations under the disability discrimination act, and this B&B certainly wasn't accessible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Lindsay C
norwood349, General Manager at Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2015

We have been attached please note that we have been in the hotel business for 30 years and The negative comments are merely as a result of the dozen or so people who abused the property importantly in the last 7 years that trip advisor have been without our approval been reviewing our business Nb several comments have not even stayed and were attacked by an individual who got their friends to write several review, trip advisor were alerted to this however they failed to respond to us

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Although I was staying alone, I booked a double room as I find single rooms quite cramped. My room was very welcoming with lots of interesting added extras and everything was clean and well presented. Even with the windows open the room was fairly quiet with only limited noise from the nearby road. The public areas were delightful with a great choice of places to relax, from the bright conservatory area to the relaxing reading room complete with piano. Breakfast was excellent, lots of choice with a generous and very tasty hot option.

Now to the crunch ... and the subject of many contrasting reviews ... Stuart! He's the owner and a very colourful character. I had a long talk with him over breakfast and learned more about his background and plans for the future. Without doubt he has high standards for the service he provides but equally he expects certain standards of behaviour from his guests. Whilst for me this is perfectly acceptable and makes for a peaceful and comfortable stay, I can understand why his approach generates so many contrasting comments - he's definitely a Marmite person, love him or hate him!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lovinbandbs
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a double room. It was well equipped, stocked and clean, the bed comfortable and the owner took time to explain about the room, breakfast (any time to suit us) and locality. He was friendly; there was plenty of choice for breakfast and easy parking at the front and we could come and go as we pleased. All in all it felt like home with room service added.

Room Tip: We had room 3 on the 1st floor which was at the back and although there were other guests it was ver...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tudorlLodge
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was very disappointed with the service by the owner of The Norwood. I found him rude and arrogant. I would not stay here again and do not recommend it to others. The rooms themselves are clean and well equipped although I booked a double / twin and only received a single. If there are any problems do not expect the owner to try help resolve them. Paul (Bristol)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Paul H
management309, Manager at Norwood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

The male guest arrived along with another male who stated that they were both booked.

For 49.00 the man was aggressive rude and very discourteous to our management and insisted that he had booked for two persons to stay.

On investigation th problem was found to be with him and it was found he made a reservation for one person, this was after abuse from his wife on the telephone later the same evening.

The agents that booked him in also agree that he was unreasonable with them and he never brought the issue to our attention as he booked his room via a third party.

He also did not make any efforts to apologise for his outburst but stated that he would harm our business model. We can do with out the one night stays that always appear to want to own our hotel and not realise as in this case the management will not be bullied into providing any rooms for persons that have not been advised. the guest was offered another room as a twin was not available when the two arrived (not reserved on booking form) and whilst we offered a single room the man shouted rather than understand the booking was his error, his comments are directed solely at the management which were untrue, we never received an apology from the man and his wording demonstrates he is not our standard of guest, read your booking form as you are responsible for making n the reservation you need not our staff. the management on duty were most upset at the misconduct of the guest and his non acceptance that we the accommodation provider had only processed the booking he made. needless to say after we had arranged a single room for his friend his friend decided he had insufficient monies to pay the room charge.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My average view of the hotel is excellent.
Pro:
The rooms are very luxorious, with extras I cannot find, only in the highest quality hotels.
There was a lot of small thing which made me fell more home, and cannot be found in other hotels.
For example next to the DVD player every room has a collection of new 4-5 DVD movies to watch (if you have time), there is a remote controller for the lights in the room, so you can operate the lighting without leaving your bed, there is an alarm clock next to your bed.
The full english breakfast is very big and tasty, and there is a healthy selection of fruits as well.
There is a free parking next to hotel for about 5-6 vehicle. (Parking can be busy if you return late, and might be difficult to park, but there is a free parking area opposite side of the road, next to a pub)
Contra:
The staff is not very helpful, and doesn't help you to fell yourself at home.
Every morning I've been waken up by the cleaner knocking on my door, and asking when do I want to leave, because she want to clean my room. And this wasn't on my day of departure, and before 9am.
The owner makes the breakfast, which is very tasty and nice, but he always made me feel as they doing a favor for me for giving me breakfast.
For example he said to me to sit straight, and towards the table before he gave me breakfast. etc...
So generaly the room is good quality and cosy, breakfast is nice and tasty, but you have to be liked be the owner to feel home.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank besantcapri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Accrington
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Clayton-le-Moors
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Norwood Guest House? Share your experiences!