“Stunning food and great staff... Definitely a hidden secrect!”

Waterside Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #2 of 70 Restaurants in Shipley
Price range: US$0 - US$19
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, View, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located on the banks of the canal, directly opposite the Ibis Hotel, the Waterside Restaurant and Bar is Shipley's secret retaurant.In its idyllic location, the restaurant offers a range of British dishes to suit every taste and appetite. The food is locally sourced and high quality and the dishes are freshly cooked to order. With the opportunity to eat and drink 'alfresco' in the covered courtyard on warmer days, there really is no better place to dine out in the area. Come and discover for yourself. Brunch available for light snacks, Coffee and a range of Teas for a leisurely drinks by the canal.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning food and great staff... Definitely a hidden secrect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Me and my partner went for my birthday at the end of March this year, it was a last minute booking and we were so glad Don't tell titus were fully booked otherwise we would have never of found such a perfect place!! Food was excellent and staff were brilliant!! Will definitely be going back!! Thank you for such a good night.

• Visited March 2014
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi Kirstytaun,

We are so pleased you found us and really enjoyed your experience at the Waterside. When our customers are happy, we are happy.

As you say we are a hidden secret which is a bit frustrating. We have a fantastic location next to the canal but we can’t be seen from the road. We therefore need to rely on people like you to spread the word. So we really appreciate the time you have taken to write a review.

I suppose we could fly a giant blimp above the restaurant…but then again!

Look forward to seeing you again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Silsden, United Kingdom
“Very good all round and lovely service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Attended a business dinner for approx 25 people. Food was excellent (the mussels and pear Wellington in particular). The service was very genuinely friendly and the chef came out to talk to some of us which is always a plus. They did struggle with getting all of the meals out together in good time as the kitchen and pass are rather small. However, the manager was wonderful in explaining their difficulties and as we were all chatting this was not a significant issue. Have been before and it has always been good, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it exceeded my expectations again - quite often places are not quite as good as you thought they were on first visit. Definitely recommend as a very good restaurant / bistro - will be back again. Thank you to all for an excellent evening.

Visited April 2014
Hi Neil,
Thank you for your excellent review. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations once again.
You are right about the kitchen and the pass being a bit small. As everything is cooked to order, with no microwaves, it can be tricky getting all the meals out at the same time for large parties. However James and his team are passionate about the quality and want to make sure every meal is perfect.
We are finding that more companies are discovering that it is a great place for meetings/dinner. As we are relatively small they can have the place to themselves on an exclusive basis.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I had heard great things about this restaurant, so when some friends invited me along I jumped at the chance…and suffice to say I wasn’t disappointed! Being a creature of habit I always go for the option of mussels to start. Considering myself something of a mussel connoisseur based on my aforementioned experience, I can honestly say that these were the most delicious mussels I have ever tasted - with the lovely combination of sweet and creamy sauce dotted with delicious bacon. So tasty, in fact, that I shamelessly asked for a spoon so as not to waste a drop!
Moving on to the main and the seafood theme continued with monkfish, an excellent dish made all the more outstanding by its’ accompaniment of an inspired black pudding mashed potato - I will never look back! Excellent combination of flavours, combined with a well-priced sauvignon blanc, made the first two courses ones to savour and enjoy.
And to finish, a cheese board which was more than adequately sized for two to share and comprised a good selection of quality cheeses.
One of the reasons it took me so long to make my first visit here was a perception it was ‘a bit out of the way’ but since realising that Shipley is just 11 minutes from Leeds on the train there will be no stopping me!

• Visited March 2014
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Starburst1903,
Thanks for such a great review. To say they are the best mussels you have ever had is absolutely fantastic. No shame in asking for a spoon…I do too!

It is also great to hear you enjoyed your main course and the way it was presented. As you will have gathered we only use the highest quality ingredients which we source locally.

Thanks for mentioning the proximity to Leeds, it is a message we keep trying to get across.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.
“4 hobs = 4 stars ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Food was great, the chef was really accommodating. It's a lovely place & the staff are relaxed & friendly. Food is locally sourced and our party (being a picky lot) were impressed!
Will be back soon.

Hi Redcapt11,
It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable time when you dined with us. As you implied we only have a very small kitchen with only four hobs (and absolutely no microwaves). So with everything cooked to order it has to be well organised.
Thanks for taking the time to write the review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
“A bit on the expensive side, but nice food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and two friends visited on a recent Saturday night, we were the first to arrive at 7.30 and taken straight to our table. The dining room is nice in an 'olde worlde', low ceiling room, I reckon the maximum number of diners would be no more than 25 to 30. We noticed that the toilet was off the dining room and as it was so small was a bit off-putting. Our order was taken by the friendly and helpful waitress. I ordered the ravioli starter as did one of our friends, the other ordered fish cakes. When the starter came I was a bit disappointed as there was only one piece of ravioli, and as the price was approx £8 I expected 2 or 3, but it was very tasty, my friend was a bit surprised too and had one of his partners fish cakes to fill up, he said they were good. For main I had the chicken pasta dish which was very good, but still a bit pricey. My partner had duck which was very good and our friends had salmon and lamb chops which they both said was very good. We decided not to have a desert and got our bill which was £117, which for 3 starters, 4 mains and 4 drinks, (2 soft and 2 pints) was on the expensive side IMO.

1 Thank Antonia H
Peterhamilt0n, Manager at Waterside Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi Antonia,
Thanks for visiting the Waterside with your friends, we really appreciate it.
Really pleased you all liked the food but obviously sad that you thought we were a bit pricey. We are passionate about the quality of the food and therefore, while our suppliers aren't the cheapest they are the best (and local too) and we really don’t want to compromise and cut corners.
The other thing that affects price is the fact we are unpaid tax collectors. If you knock the 20% VAT off the bill, the cost would be reduced by approximately £20. It would be good if we could all lobby the Government to get VAT reduced on restaurant bills!
We do offer some great deals and a good value early bird (before 7pm) during the week, details of which are on the website. And Sunday lunch at £9.95 is great value too. The food will be the same high quality so please try us again.
As you say the restaurant is quite small but we believe it creates a lovely atmosphere. With the warmer weather on its way (hopefully) people will be able to eat outside in the covered atrium, which will effectively double the amount of covers.
Hope you will try us again.