“A great taste of old Barcelona”

Tapas Tree Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 77 Restaurants in Shipley
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Although it was a snow covered Tuesday evening, from the moment we walked in, it was though we had been whisked 800 miles away to one of the back street Tapas bars you find down Barcelonas old town.
Greeted by a real Spanish owner, the Tapas Tree has that real authentic feel about it, from the background music and the decor to the wooden tables and chairs all set up with a great rustic charm.
It was quite busy for a midweek evening, which added to the whole vibe, and filled us with a little more confidence, considering this is set down the back streets of outer Shipley,not exactly the culinary capital of yorkshire.

The menu had a great looking selection of dishes and a wall board that offered the chefs specials.
We chose 7 dishes, the asparagus & sweet pepper Tortilla, the chicken & chorizo paella, and the smoked haddock fish cakes from the specials board.
The remaning dishes of Albondigas, beef stew, calamari, and a prawn with cheese & chorizo dish all from the main menu.

Couple of glasses of San Miguel finished and our tapas arrived. They smelt and looked amazing, fresh & vibrant, and the stanadard of presention was good.
To top it off, the taste was just as good, the tortila was light and had chunks of aspargus and peppers, the paella, although not made with arborio rice, was very good with nice pieces of chicken & chorizo, the fish cakes were crunchy on the outside with a soft filling of smoked haddock.
There were 3 good sized meatballs in a great tomato sauce made from lightly rolled pork, seasoned perfectly. the beef in the stew was a little firm for me, but was cooked in very good paprika peas & pepper sauce. The calamari was soft to bite and coated in a light tasty batter served with lemon mayonnaise. The gambas were only small but soft and tasty topped with melted cheese with bite sized chorizo.
We had another glass of San Miguel, sat back and thought what a little gem.

Upon asking, I was told eveything is made daily on the premises by the chef and staff (all spanish ) and these new owners had been open just over a year, although the restaurant has been there far longer.
So anyone with a previous experience of the Tapas tree should go back and see what these guys are doing now, because on our experience this really is a hidden gem.....

Parking outside is not great, but dont let that put you off, and apart from a slight mix up with our voucher deal,( immediately sorted ), this was good value for money, and well worth a visit.

So guys, thanks once again for reading my reviews, please consider leaving me a helpful vote, yet another stop off on World Domination Tour to which I'm more than happy to recommend.

Bye for now
Ming

Ps .... feel free to check out my previous stop-offs, and look out for more in the coming weeks.

1  Thank EmperorMing
There are newer reviews for Tapas Tree Restaurant

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Before my visit last week, I had only been once which resulted in food poisening for both myself anf hubby so I was a little reluctant to go again. However moving on.. We came on a Saturday with three friends, we booked to use the TasteCard which was fine, no agrumetns and the portions were not altered size wise to reflect the card which i'd heard can sometimes happen. We ordered breads to start with, which were fine, the oil dip was nice. I dont like wine, however we ordered a jug of their Sangria which was beautiful! We ordered a further 12 dishes between the four of us, all arrived correct, however two dishes came alot later after us reminding the waitress. The service was OK, rather slow, however it was busy on a Saturday night so this could be to be expected. We were sat in the corner on the left after the steps which meant that you couldnt see a window, with their brights walls and busy decor, it did feel abit claustrophobic, but that could just be me! Overall, It was OK, I would go again mid week in the hope its abit quieter. I'm glad ou can use the Tastecard, I wouldnt go if it were full price.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Booked table on Thursday evening 14th march. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, staff friendly and attentive, service was perfect. We ordered 8 tapas dishes, there was a wide selection of dishes to chose from. We enjoyed all the tapas dishes we ordered and could not fault the food. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and looking forward to a return visit to try a selection of the other dishes on the menu.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We went at the quiet time and we were the only ones in the restaurant and it was supposed to a discounted. The portions were very small and the price quite high. When we got home we made another meal. The service was O.K.

2  Thank johnkh44
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

Would highly recommend trying this lovely restaurant, great place, good service, great food

Tried 7 dishes & all were above expectations

We will definitely be back again & again :)

1  Thank AnneyJ