“Worst B&B ever!”

Clifton Lodge Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shipley
Clifton Lodge Guest House
Ranked #3 of 3 Shipley B&B and Inns
“Worst B&B ever!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I dont normally participate in this type of thing but this is for the interest of anyone reading this. And I know the Internet is brimming with bad reviews about everything but like I said I don't normally do this but this is an exceptional case.

The place is disgusting.

Dirty carpets, cracked walls, light fitting hanging off the wall, no light in the bathroom, the window was 1.5 foot wide and looked into a bush, And that's just the cosmetics.

On top of that the bed stinks of cigarettes and is broken so its not even and flat. The room was freezing cold! The bathroom has an overwhelming smell of bleach coming from it. It is the most horrible place I have ever had the discomfort of sleeping in. And even then I barely slept.

I'm all for supporting smaller, local businesses but in this instance I would have preferred a stay in any big chain brand hotel.

It was horrendous, disgusting, unsanitary and uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Gee2104

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bardon Mill, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed here with our kids. The kids room had stains all over the bathroom and room, cigarette ends in the bedside table. the windows didnt shut, there were stains on the bed clothes and the floors were disgusting. In our room the hairdryer was dangerous, more stains on the bed clothes, no hot water, the curtain rail fell down in the night.

There was contant noise and swearing from the room below until the early hours.... which turned out to be the owners.

We skipped breakfast after I glanced into the kitchen and saw the state of it.

AVOID.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PhilpH

Travellers are raving about these Shipley hotels

Reviewed 26 August 2011

My fiance and I arrived in the afternoon
and was greeted by the
Owners! Very pleasant and helpful.
We were shown to our room and instructed about
Breakfast.
The room had been upgraded from a double to
A family room which was a nice surprise! The
Room was spacious and the bedding was clean
& fresh. The en-suite was clean and a full sized
Kettle with tea coffee and sugar were all supplied
as you'd expect.
We cannot complain and understand that people
have different standards but let's face it? A B&B is
Just that a Bed and Breakfast, somewhere to
Rest while you're away from home! Love it, will
Definitely stay again!!! Thankyou very very much!
Emma & Craig

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank shatters1974
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Im a contractor who works all around england and i must say never felt more welcome or at home as i did in this hotel the owners vicky and billy go far beyond they have to , to make u feel welcome . staff also very nice . rooms cleaned daily and fresh towels daily . breakfest very nice ,been back scince always have a good nights sleep when ever im there. highly recomend ,

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank contractor_11
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2010

The key to the single room I had booked seemed to have been lost so I was put in a twin room below ground level. Great, I thought. How wrong can one be? Although the ensuite had been cleaned, there were black stains all round where the washbasin and toilet units met the ground, so I decided not to risk the shower. (The label on the bottle of shower gel was peeling off, as well ,which made me wonder how long it had been there.) The bedlinen was thin and tired; in the morning I ould see great fluffy chunks coming loose on the bedspread which should have been replaced a long time ago. The clock radio was sticky. It would have been impossible to hoover under either bed as there were things stored there, which might explain why I had to resort to my inhaler several times during the night. The next day I found a bite mark on my arm. To be fair, breakfast was lovely and the staff very friendly. I suspect the room was an infrequently-used standby, but I won't be back. The friend who recommended it did so because she'd heard dire things about the other nearby B+B, but I'll be going there next time instead.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Natalia1806
, Owner at Clifton Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Hello I am the new owner of the Clifton lodge and I am so sorry that you did nit enjoy your stay with us. We have taken the room out of action that you stayed in as it is also the room the other guest who reviewed was in. We have bought this guest house as a project to do up and bring it into a modern Victoria beauty that it should be. Since your stay we have replaced all the beds, bedding and TVs and now put in new brown leather divans with miracoil mattresses and replaced the TVs with 22" plasmas with built in DVD and free view we have also strengthened the aerials so we receive a perfect picture in every room. I just wished you had mentioned something during your stay so I could have rectified things or moved you to another room if we had one available.

Vicky and Billy
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My one night's stay here was enough to realise that I shall never be staying here again or recommending it to anyone. Here is a list of problems: The shower was broken and leaking water everywhere, the cleanliness at breakfast was very low as I could spot dirty mugs that had been set out for other guests and it put me off my breakfast, the TV didn't work properly, I was awoken at 6am with people relentlessly going up and down the stairs, in what seemed to be a virtually empty B&B I was put in a cellar room with a wall as a vista.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank wonz
Richmond
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I booked my father, who is nearly 96, to stay at the Clifton Lodge. The owners, Vicky and her husband, could not have been more helpful in making his stay comfortable and generally looking after him. They went far beyong the call of duty - arranging for a taxi to pick him up from the station, escorting him to the nearby Italian restaurant, and finally Vicky drove him in her own car to make sure he got on the right bus to come back to London. My father thoroughly enjoyed his stay.

When I was looking for somewhere for him to stay I rang the Clifton Lodge and spoke to Vicky. I guessed from that short phone call that she would look after him, as proved to be the case.

If you want to stay somewhere with the personal touch, where the owners will go out of their way to help make you stay a happy one then the Clifton Lodge would be a good choice.

Although I did not stay at the hotel myself I did see my father's room. It was clean and comfortable with a good sized shower room, TV, kettle and facilities for making drinks. Saltaire and Shipley are both within a comfortable walking distance, as is Salts Mill.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Richmond_lady_too
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#2 of 3 in Bingley
Dubrovnik Hotel
Dubrovnik Hotel
#8 of 27 in Bradford

Been to Clifton Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!