“Family Party Night !!!!! Superior Room in Basement!!”
Review of Abbey Lodge Hotel

Abbey Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Shipley B&B and Inns
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Family Party Night !!!!! Superior Room in Basement!!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent a night in the Abbey Lodge, mainly as it was the only hotel close to where we were picking up our new puppy that we could bring our dog. We had our dog with us so that when we collected our new puppy they would be able to socialise them. The Abbey Lodge is well priced and appears to have had a lot of money spent on it recently with nice decoration and an upgrade front.The Abbey Lodge is just up the road from "Downtown" Shipley and across the road from the Parish Church. There is parking at the rear with access through a cluttered narrow alley which is difficult to negotiate, but if you arrive after 6 pm there is parking across the road which is available until 9 am.
The reception was manned by a very pleasant man who showed us to our "Superior" room which was in the basement, I did expect a room with a window, however there were two small windows that were at pavement level. If you suffer from Claustrophobia you might prefer a standard room! The room itself was very nice large room with large bed with good furnishings and a great bathroom, obviously it had been recently decorated and for one night was OK but I would not be happy in this room for more than that.
We did not eat here as we were meeting with someone so can not comment on the food except for breakfast which was very good, the produce was mainly locally sourced and that was mentioned in the menu. We did have a drink at the bar and the barman who again like all of the staff was very pleasant.
The only down side of this stay was that the owners family arrived around midnight for an engagement party. This to me was a security issue and I do not think guests would be happy to know that this event took place after they went to bed. It appears to me to be something that should not be taking place at that time of night, during the evening yes as a private function, not when the hotel is nominally closed. It seems that this happens on a fairly frequent basis!!
In all a good hotel if you are staying around Shipley well placed for touring around the area, I personally would want a room with a view and if the superior rooms are all in the basement would not stay here again.
Staff excellent but owner needs to establish who his clients are the paying guests or his extended family.
I have given five stars but only because of the great staff I did originally rank it at four but thought the staff deserve five.

Room Tip: Do not pay for superior room if you are Claustrophobic
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Spent a single night in a superior room here to visit Saltaire.
Great little hotel. The room was very comfortable, immaculately clean and with good quality fittings including an enormous bed and a Jacuzzi bath.
Breakfast was generous and the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go fi a superior room
1 Thank Bairstow
Shropshire, England
Reviewed 19 September 2013

As many others have stated this is an excellent hotel and great value for money especially in this area. Our room was large, clean, quiet and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very modern with a lovely walk in power shower. The breakfast was fabulous with all you could ask for. The staff were all extemely friendly and most helpful. The car park is at the back of the hotel on a first come first served basis and can fill up quite quickly, however, there is street parking at the front of the hotel and we had no problem parking there. There is no lif,t so if stairs are a problem ask for a ground floor room.
I only have one small gripe, which is although this is a completely non smoking hotel, guests smoke outside with the doors open and the smoke drifts through to the breakfast0 dining room, which is not pleasant when eating.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter away from the main road, also ask for grounfd floor if stairs...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for one night in September 2013. The hotel was immaculately presented, and the staff were incredibly pleasant and efficient. The rooms were large and spacious (we stayed in the most basic room too - I imagine the superior rooms were even bigger), and the whole place had clearly been renovated very recently. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the TV had a great range of channels on offer. The only downside was that we were in a top-floor room, and the sloped ceiling presented a slight problem for me as I am quite a large (6'5") gentleman. My slightly smaller companion (5'6") had no issue though, and could access the whole room fine.

The bathroom was also quite big, and the décor was very modern and well-designed. We did have an odd issue during the night where there was no cold water (both taps ran hot), although this had resolved itself by morning so we didn't need to report anything.

The room rate includes breakfast as standard, and the quality is outstanding (I've paid upwards of £20/person for worse food than this). The hot food is cooked to order, and other breakfast items (cereal, fruit etc) is in a buffet-style layout. The coffee and tea is self-serve, and there is a great range of choice.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area, and I will definitely be returning the next time I am in the city.

Room Tip: If you are of, ahem, advanced stature like me (6'5"), ask for a lower-floor room, as the sl...
Lancaster
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just had to report on this hotel. I booked a twin room which cost me £65.00 for a Saturday night stay. I though it was quite expensive for what i'm used to paying but i realised firstly when i walked in my room what good value this hotel is. Very smart, clean room, First time in a hotel that i have slept on a comfy bed. Glanced in the kitchen and it was spotless. In fact everything was spotless. I had a specific reason to stay there this weekend but i wont need a reason next time other than for a pleasant break. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John C
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Single night spent at this hotel . Booked as needed to be close to a function we were attending . Difficult allocating stars - 4stars here reflect value for money . Excellent value for wife and I in good sized room - breakfast included . Has clearly been recently refurbished and room was very tidy and shower etc recently installed . Room has tea/coffee making facilities , flat screen TV and free WiFi ( which worked well) . This was a difficult hotel to find and We seemed to battle with satnav and one way systems . Couple who arrived prior to us had same problem . Parking is at rear of hotel so spaces are limited - so if you can get in early . If full looks to be difficult finding a convenient alternative . Hotel has small bar area , which we did not use but was popular . Snacks also available I understand on a night . The cooked breakfast included in the room rate was good and serving staff friendly - as were all the staff . Would recommend if like us you need a short stay in a comfortable setting .

was good

Room Tip: We booked a superior room which gives a little more space
Reviewed 12 September 2013

A 3 day stay which was a delight.
I hadn't expected too much at such a modest rate but from arrival to departure it was excellent.
Lovely,friendly kitchen staff brightened our mornings with local bacon,eggs and mushrooms.
The room was large.well furnished and clean with quality bedding.
I didn't know they allowed dogs until I read other reviews today and I am now home.

I spend a lot of time touring and there are many big name operators who could do with a training weekend for their staff and executives at this hotel.

Great value for money and deserve more success.
Thanks to all
Jim and Ann Mulholland

Room Tip: We were on the first floor in a superior room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#8 of 27 in Bradford
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Abbey Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!