“Great little find”

Ranked #1 of 3 Shipley B&B and Inns
Gloucester
“Great little find”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night as I was in the area for a business meeting.

Having booked this hotel from the customer satisfaction levels on a comparison website, I was unsure what to expect. I always like to stay away from faceless corporate hotels but there is always a risk of being let down. No such problems with The Abbey Lodge.

A warm welcome (i think from the actual owner who was working behind reception) was received and check in was easy.

The room I had was very clean and a nice size. The decor is quite modern which was a nice suprise. The quality of the furniture was very good and the bed a good size and comfortable. I didn't have a bath in my room but the shower cubicle was very big, and again the bathroom was spotless.

My only little grumble is that the room didn't have air conditioning. It was a warm evening added to the fact that my room was above the kitchen (although there was no noise). As such the room got very hot.

At breakfast I received a warm welcome and the cooked breakfast was very good. a selection of cereals were available also. In terms of pastries they only had croissants, but I do not know of there were others and they had all gone.

All in all this hotel has returned my confidence in that independent smaller hotels can offer a great stay and that there is an alternative to expensive corporate hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel has a modern décor and is well kept. Our room was small but nice. The staff were friendly and attentive. There is a first come first served car park at the rear, but if there is no space there is on-street parking at the front. The only downsides were that out room was right about the kitchen so was very warm, the breakfasts were slightly undercooked and there wasn't much of a choice of drinks at the bar.

Room Tip: Room 313 is over the kitchen so is very warm in the summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 16 July 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed at in all of my travels. Something that is extremely noticeable is the friendliness of the staff. Not ONE SINGLE sour face at the Abbey Lodge! Well done to everyone!
The rooms are immaculate, the breakfast is superb, the public areas a joy to be in and the garden is exquisite.
It is like being in a bed and breakfast with a 5 star service.
This hotel is totally recommendable and we will definitely stay there again, whenever we go back to the area.
Thank you Abbey Lodge Hotel for a wonderful, most memorable stay. We won't ever forget you here in Belgium.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was in the back of the hotel and it was VERY quiet, although there is a street...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed for two nights with other family members ranging from 88 to 28 year olds. Parking is somewhat limited, although that didn't present any problems and the level access from the car park was a great advantage for the 88-yr old. Very comfortable rooms with great facilities and breakfast was very acceptable. My only complaint is the lack of a lounge area with comfortable chairs if we all wanted to sit around together. Very reasonable prices, with B&B costing less for one person than the Travelodge we had stayed in on a previous night. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights to follow Tour de France and very busy. Comfy rooms spacious with good facilities. Staff very friendly but parking is limited.
Could have done with more than two sockets in bedroom. Difficult to charge phones camera batteries etc.
Would use this one again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I was greeted warmly on arrival by the owner who checked me in in a few minutes then showed me to our room explaining times of meals and facilities of the hotel, he also explained breakfast finished at 9 but if we came down at that time they would still accommodate us. The room was great the jacuzzi bath was bliss, be aware the water gets hot quickly which is a plus point. Would I recommend definitely would I return certainly. All staff members friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here for a total of 8 weeks whilst on a teaching placement at a nearby school and I have to say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The staff are welcoming and will go the extra mile to make sure you are at ease whilst staying there. Will definitely use this hotel if I ever visit nearby again

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#8 of 27 in Bradford
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Abbey Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!