“Good Food”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I booked for the early bird which is served 6:00pm until 9:00pm Friday and Saturday and we opted for the 3 courses for £17.00. We also ordered 2 side dishes at £1.50 each.

The meal was lovely and the staff very polite and could not do enough. I was however very dissapointed with the bill. I had booked this restaurant as I hold a TasteCard and it was advertised as "50% off the total food bill". This however was not the case as when the bill came they had written "free" at the side of each of the cheapest dish and charged full price for the side orders so we felt that we had been mislead so just be careful if you book using your Tastecard.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a lovely meal on the 16th May from the current Bistro menu. Waiting for the new menu to be launched in the next couple of weeks check the website for details. Best to book so not to be disappointed if its full. They are also open during the day for lunches and afternoon cakes.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Living in Saltaire I'd been to Vicars' for coffee and light bites many times but I'd never tried their evening menu. I recently did, twice in a row and came away more than satisfied both times. The menu gives you two choices each of a starter, main and pudding and there is an option of only two courses for a cheaper set price. Being gluttons my friend and I opted for the three courses both times. The service is quick and friendly, the food is excellent and, if you get a seat by the window, this corner restaurant gives you a good view of the heritage site that is Saltaire. It was raining cats and dogs when we went, the windows were steamed up and we felt as if we were cocooned in warmth and the glow you get with home-cooked earthy food. It was difficult to leave and head out into the cold. There is also the opportunity to pay for an extra coffee or two for homeless people who can claim the beverage aftwerwards. A nice humane touch. I am becoming a regular at Vicars in the evening.

1  Thank Saviour P
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Having been to Vicars a few times during the day for the usual coffee and cake thing or restorative sandwich while out for a walk, we finally got round to trying out the evening opening, Friday and Saturday only, when the café turns into a bistro - mini-restaurant.
The restaurants we hold as special are the ones that serve us dishes which make us want to try and replicate them at home.. no disappointment here!
By dint of the physical size of the building, the menu is small but nonetheless enticing. Always one or two vegetarian dishes in there, which is most important to me.
We've been to Vicars a few times now. The first time we went, the manager Matthew was still sorting out the wine section so we could take our own. We were delighted to hear that he gets his wine from our favourite merchant anyway, so yet another treat to look forward to.
The coffee is also served with care; I think 'care' is the word - you can tell that everyone there actually wants you to have a great evening.
Right, off for another evening of 'inspiration'!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Large group, pre ordered food, yet seemed confusion on behalf of the waiting staff as to what had been ordered . Although the menu was strictly accurate, and generally the food which arrived was good. My gammon dish, was just, gammon, with no extras, I had wrongly assumed there would be potato or veg with the meat, no offers of extras from the waiting staff or the menu. Friends steak was not provided according to order, i.e medium rare, came rare, and rare came well done! Friends who had ordered steak, were offered sauce, with suggestion that this was included in the meal, however, we're charged £1.50 for a small blob of garlic butter!

Chocolate brownie pudding was nice...

Sadly left feeling hungry ...... And won't be back!