Review of The Boathouse Inn

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Booked for Sunday lunch with my son, his wife and the two young children. Arrived early, however my son and family were having trouble parking so were 10 minutes later than the booked time. Ordered our drinks from the bar and then went to the table. Ordered our food which included two lamb Sunday lunches and asked for two children's dinners to come with the starters. The waiter then came back to say they had run out of lamb, however if we'd been on time they would have had lamb for us. (It was 2pm)
45 minutes later our starters came (no children's food) the waiter then proceeded to say that they had made a mistake and our mains were also ready and did we want them now because if we didn't they would get dry. (At this point I'm lost for words) then they brought one of the main meals out for one of the children. Not what we'd ordered. They then came back when they realised and swapped this for the children's curry (which we had ordered) my granddaughter who is three and loves her curries wouldn't eat it saying it was too hot. This was on the children's menu but it was very spicy....too spicy for a child. At this point we decided that we would leave. We paid for the food and drinks we'd had and went to a different place. Such a shame as it's in a lovely location but I have to say the worst service I have ever experienced. Looking at some of the other comments on here the food doesn't sound that good either. I usually check out places on trip advisor.........won't make that mistake again.

6  Thank Shirley W

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was a great find thanks to my satnav. keyed in places to eat and it came out with this little gem situated on a canal over looking a park. nice view. Great food and excellent customer service. had friday special which was fish and chips with complimentary drink for £10. very nice

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Waited an hour for starters! After enquiring with a member of staff she went away to check our order and never came back, after going to find her again she replied 'it's ready I'll get it on a minute'.
It really wasn't worth the wait! The food was very poor quality, expensive and had clearly been cooked half hour earlier and forgot about.
The location is nice but you would be better off buying a sandwich and sitting in the park.

2  Thank Helena11
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Can't comment on the food as we didn't eat here, but sitting outside overlooking the river and Roberts Park in the sunshine was fine for a refreshing lunchtime drink between touring Saltaire. Though at the time we were there the pub inside seemed a bit disheveled, with uncleared tables and few staff.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I came to the Boathouse tonight with work colleagues for a quiet drink (as we often do until now) but it was clear that it the owner is only catering for those who are there to eat. Let me explain. We sat down at a table that was reserved as we were told that we had the table until 6.30pm when the table was needed for a prior booking. Fine, no problem with that as we had half an hour to sit and chat. Only 10 minutes later we were asked to vacate the table as it was needed by someone who needed to eat. What? So, OK, we moved to another table that wasn't in use and more to the point wasn't shown as reserved. We thought we'd be fine to carry on but yes, we got moved again, back to the table we were originally sat at! It was clear to us that the patron is only interested in using his tables for the chance that somebody may stop by for food, but if you're wanting to have a drink, a sit and a chat, you're the second class customer. No signs anywhere to mark a restaurant area from a bar area, the drinks are grossly over priced and you have no option but to stand up for your the privilege of your visit. A poor, poor, venue. There are much better pubs in Saltaire.

7  Thank Richard L