“Just lovely”

Homeleigh Hotel
Homeleigh Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shipley
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed for a friends wedding in a near by and wanted to try and keep the cost down as we had spent quite a bit travelling up from south London. My partner and I found the hotel friendly and accommodating. The owner was a real hoot and was always making us laugh. Rooms really clean basic, just what we needed. Very well priced for the area bargain ! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Homeleigh Hotel

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed at the Homeleigh due it's close location to Saltaire, which is well worth a visit but had a feeling of being over commercial and not particularly historically informative.
The hotel was comfortable in a standard British B&B sense but was in need of updating to make it worth its price tag. Breakfast was cooked to a high standard and the coffee was excellent which makes a pleasant change. However, the owner made us a little uneasy due to his off hand manner and intrusive questioning. Also, he wasn't particularily helpful when we phoned to ask for directions from the train station. The reply was ' get a taxi' and was reluctant to give directions on foot. A friendly postman pointed us in the right direction, and after a five minute walk we arrived. The owner seem quite put out when he realised we hadn't caught a taxi. Very bizarre behaviour. Reviews on this site and others echo our experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oliver j
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The hotel makes an excellent base for Leeds, Bradford, Skipton and anyone walking the last 30 miles of Leeds Liverpool canal. Buses and trains to the towns are easily available. A small hotel, like so many in Britain, a bit dated and in need of a revamp. The single bedroom was clean but with minimal facilities, no shampoos or tea making facilities in my room but this seemed to be an omission rather than practice. Disappointed when used wet towel was refolded for use again.Stairs to bedrooms quite steep
TV was quite modern with Freeview. Bed comfortable. Breakfast excellent. Free parking to rear.Traffic noise can be heard from front bedrooms but nothing that kept me awake. Staff friendly.
Close to the hotel is fish and chip shop and an Indian and Italian restaurant - the Indian I would recommend for quality and price. Pricewise the hotel is a bargain compared to Leeds prices.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gil B
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This B&B is located in a convenient part of Saltaire/Shipley, about a five minute walk from the main shops and restaurants and a ten minute walk from the train station.

The interior of the B&B needs some serious updating and sprusing as it looks tired and a bit grubby with the cream woodchip wallpaper and the polystyrene ceiling tiles. That's not to say that the B&B is dirty- in fact it's very clean- it just looks a bit shabby and in need of redecoration.

My room was small and very very basic, but the bed was so comfortable that I slept like a log! Again, the bedroom and en-suite could have done with updating. The main issue that I found was that the only conveniences for guests were a bar of soap and a glass. There were no tea/coffee facilities, no shower gel and, perhaps most suprisingly, no towels. When I realised that there were no towels I went in search of the owner but I couldn't find him and I was on a bit of a tight schedule to meet colleagues so I had one of them bring a towel for me for in the morning! As Homeleigh is a small B&B, I understand why they may not supply towels due to the laundry bill, but I think this needs to be made clear to guests at the time of booking! Unless, I was just unfortunate and they forgot to put towels in my room!

I didn't book to have breakfast at Homeleigh but this wasn't an issue as there are plenty of places in Saltaire to grab a quick bacon cob.

Overall, I think Homeleigh offers good value for money as long as you can over look the dated and tired decor and the lack of amenities in the rooms.

Room Tip: Bring your own tea/coffee facilities and towels
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Bunnytwoshoes
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We wanted to stay in or close to Leeds without spending too much and this fit the bill. It was much cheaper than staying in Leeds but it is still so convenient. You could stay here and catch the train from here into Leeds, which is only a few minutes away.
Saltaire mill and park, and the canal, are only a few minutes walk away, and are a great way to spend a day.
The owner was a friendly guy. Our double room was perfectly seviceable and had a huge and very comfortable bed. The shower in the en-suite was great. We had a good night's sleep as it was very quiet and there was plenty to eat at breakfast. You can park the car on the premises and there appears to be cct surveillance of the parking area.
We would return again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2010

The accommodation was booked for me by employer and after reading the reviews here, knew it was going to be a "wild-card!"

The hotel can be found along Bradford Road, close to its junction with Springhurst Road (where the entrance to the free parking at rear can be located). If heading north, the hotel will be located on the left just after the junction and clearly sign-written across the front of the building.

On arrival through the car-park entrance, I was greeted in the open plan reception/dining area by the owner. He, though not the most outgoing of people, was polite enough and gave me guidance on my onward travel the following morning to my next destination.

The single room given was small, though there was a bed, bedside table, wardrobe and a further chest of drawers with the TV perched on top. More than sufficient for my overnight stay. Though the room overlooked the main road outside, the noise was minimal throughout the night and not really noticeable. For the charge incurred, it was definitely acceptable.

In the morning, check-out was swift and no-fuss and was on my way. Don't generally have breakfast, so can't comment on the facilities/food here.

All in all, it was an easy, pain-free stay (not spectacular - BUT far from terrible) and if I was in the area for a short work-related stay again, I would consider a return.

I appreciate and acknowledge that my feedback doesn't match the other reviews, but this is what I experienced on my visit to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JusticeTravels
Reviewed 11 September 2009

The room was basic (very old building). The concern is with the strange man running hotel. I asked for a heater, he said "No", I asked for a blanket and he said "No, your bed has a great duvet wrapped round it"... I said "but the room is cold", at which he suddenly shivered, agreed "it is cold actually" and put the heating on..? At breakfast my colleagues and I requested receipts and he said sarcastically "What all 3 of you? What for? You don't need that?", and we left without receipts for our company. As we left I heard him yelling into the phone "NO, she didn't work that much and I've not given her HALF pay". We all found him aggressive and were glad to leave.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank StarDame
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#20 of 27 in Bradford
Dubrovnik Hotel
Dubrovnik Hotel
#8 of 27 in Bradford

Been to Homeleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!