“A real gem”

Shimla Spice Restaurant - Shipley
Ranked #4 of 82 Restaurants in Shipley
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

The food was excellent as was the service. This was probably the best Indian food I have ever had.
The highest praise, my daughter, who can be a tad fussy, thought that it was superb.
Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Staff at Shimlas are welcoming and friendly without being obtrusive. The food is great value and very delicious. Our group of 5 all enjoyed our individual dishes, both starters and mains. Bonus that you can take your own alcohol along.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent curry as per usual and the staff coped well with a very busy Father’s Day service! If you haven’t been yet then you need to

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

My fiancé and I have been regulars here for 7 years now. We used to live a walk away from here so went once a week , and after moving house 3 years ago we still choose to go to Shimla rather than anywhere else. It’s one of the only restaurants I have ever known that is busy INSTANTLY!.... sometimes we are so hungry we aim for just after opening (5pm).... and there are ALREADY several tables seated!! It’s got a great atmosphere, lovely decor, friendly staff ( that are willing to accommodate any kind or request even if it’s not a dish on the menu) they are also happy to recommend dishes if asked. I’m pescatarian , I don’t eat red or white meat so I have the Indian cheese Paneer - alternate having it in various sauces ( madras or mirpuri highly recommended) We both eat fish and the fish starters and mains are HEAVENLY! I’ve honestly never eaten such nice fish dishes ( never ever had a bone).The meat dishes have decent sized chunks of meat in it .... and all sauces taste different ( not like some places where they all look/ taste the same). We love the fact that dishes are quite ample - so we always ask for a doggie bag to take food home ( this is common here and a huge compliment to the chefs that we don’t want to leave it!!) I could go on for hours but I won’t haha ..... the BYOB is fab, the prices are fab..... and we are off here this evening and I for one can’t wait!!!
** the only negative I will post is that the takeaway dishes don’t always ‘travel well’ ... ie the gorgeous crispy fish can be soggy etc so PLEASE try Shimla as a sit in meal first rather than a takeaway! ENJOY!!

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Went here with family this week. I have driven past many times and did not realise how big this place was and it is very well appointed inside. However, the food did not match the good service we received. We had mixed kebab starter, Onion Bhaji. For the main course we had a vegetable Rogan Josh, Chicken and Keema curry and Chicken Madras. The mixed Kebab was plentiful but not as tasty as expected. The onion Bhaji was flattened out like a burger, did not have much onion in it and was soggy and doughy. The vegetarian in our party stated that the Vegetable Rogan Josh was OK. The Chicken and Keema curry was also plentiful but not as flavoursome as expected. The Chicken Madras was a disappointment, not very hot at all and the chicken appeared not to have any marinade at all and was just like fried chicken in a curry sauce. The Nan Bread was brought on one of these stand type things so it looks impressive but actually quickly dried out and just became crispy. One member of our party had the Rotis and they were correctly brought out in a tray covered with cloth so they retained their moisture and were just the right consistency of soft, doughy and moist. The bill came to about £17 a head which as curry houses go is quite expensive, particularly for such an average meal. They claim to have won all sorts of awards and based on this visit I cannot understand why. You can get a far better meal for about half the price in any number of restaurants in the area. Don't think I would go again as a personal choice.