“Welcome, what welcome?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Gargrave B&B and Inns
Keswick, United Kingdom
“Welcome, what welcome?”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Only wanted meal and drinks. First try , four bar staff ignored me to talk about tyre punctures.The second round , bar staff declined to take my order,even after being asked by fellow staff. We decided to eat elsewhere. They did send out a youngster as we were leaving, but no apology.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank cb350f73
johnb252, Owner at Masons Arms Gargarve, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I am sorry to hear of your experience this does not sound like my establishment at all. I will look into it and try to establish what happened. If you could let me know what time and date you came it would be most helpful

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very good accommodation, well equipped comfortable room with everything you need for your stay. The food at both the evening meal and breakfast was delicious and there was a fine selection of real ales. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
johnb252, Owner at Masons Arms Gargarve, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Glad you enjoyed the stay, a review like this make us realise we are doing some of the things right. Thanks again hopefully see you in the future
Sussex
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stopped at this delightful pub overnight recently. Our room was extremely well
equipped and clean. A good selection of teas and coffee in the room - always a bonus. We had dinner and breakfast the next morning. Good hearty home cooked food. Lovely. Gargrave is a pretty village and has the Liverpool to Leeds Canal running through it. We strolled down the towpath after dinner as it was such a beautiful evening. Peace!! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
johnb252, Owner at Masons Arms Gargarve, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Nothing better than a good review from the heart. Thanks
Derby, UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was in need of an overnight stay somewhere in the Skipton area. My 'go to' choice was booked so I sought an alternative. I consulted the Good Beer Guide as wherever I stayed had to fulfil two very importantant criteria; be within walking distance of a railway station and serve good Real Ale. That's how I found the Mason's Arms at Gargrave and I made my booking - itself a painless experience.

I duly arrived and was shown to my accommodation. This takes the form of two level chalet-style rooms at the back of the pub, accessible without having to enter the pub if a guest happens to return after closing (which is, frankly, unlikely given that the pub is open until midnight!) My room was on the ground floor which I had misgivings about having been kept awake by elephants on the upper floor in places like this before. I did indeed hear occasional footsteps above, but either they were particularly dainty people or it's a well-built place. I suspect the latter.

The room was very impressive. I've stopped in some top quality chain hotels over the years, but there was simply nothing this room lacked in comparison. To the contrary, in fact. By way of example; the generous provision of tea/coffee and -- especially -- milk sachets, puts pretty much everywhere else I've ever stayed to shame.

Though the room and its facilities are excellent, it is the pub itself which is the highlight here. For my evening meal I chose the Mason's Melt. This chicken, bacon & cheese stack comes with bbq sauce but that was left off at my request. It was served with home made chips and veg and was in all respects perfect. That provided the perfect basis upon which to enjoy the beer offerings; Timothy Taylor Landlord, Back Sheep Bitter, Tetley Bitter and Thwaite's Wainwright. For a "beer ticker" that choice may be considered something of a let-down as there is nothing unusual there, but all were well kept and well presented. As well as catering admirably for the visitor such as myself, the Mason's Arms is clearly a popular local, which adds to the ambiance. Sometime the phrase "a local's pub" can infer something of a bad atmosphere for strangers, but again, nothing could be further from the truth here.

Well watered I headed for bed. I was initially a little disconcerted by the nearby church clock chiming each quarter-hour, but as it was a pleasant evening I elected to keep the window open. I know I shouldn't quibble, it is after-all part of the village's character. Besides, I think I only heard it twice and I could always have closed the window! The open window did become a bit of an issue in the early hours as the occasional car seemed to whizz by as the world started on its day. Again, I stress it was my choice to keep it open.

Breakfast isn't served before 08:30 as a matter of routine, but the welcome letter displayed in the room does make the point that alternative arrangements can be made if required. When I went through to the pub are saw it was the landlord acting as waiter, having been at the bar until midnight, I understood why breakfast is no earlier. Anyway, my train wasn't until 09:30 so I was in no rush. Breakfast was excellent. Guests are asked to fill in a form the night before indicating what they want and what time they will be showing up for breakfast, so it is freshly cooked and you get exactly what you want. Fantastic.

As I suspect comes across in this review, I cannot be too fulsome in my praise. I had the perfect stay and would happily go back... but it won't be until the forthcoming madness associated with Le Tour has passed!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
johnb252, Owner at Masons Arms Gargarve, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thanks for the extensive review I am not sure I could have done better if I had written it myself. They say word of mouth is the best marketing tool, reviews like this do wonders. Thanks
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just had Sunday lunch for about the dozen time. Food excellent, Cider excellent and a pleasant atmosphere created by the very helpful John and the lovely Nicola. Great little gem if you are out this way

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for one night whilst walking the length of the Pennine Way. Excellent in every way. Room, especially the quality of the beds, was just fabulous. Food and atmosphere great too. It was the only place along our 19 day journey that provided bowl, towel & biscuit for the dog (even though most places charge for the dog there was never anything provided!!). We will certainly go back for a longer stay. Many thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
jarrow
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here whilst on a boating course on the near by canal, this is a great pub b&b that is truly dog friendly, he even got his own towel, bowl and lovely blink biscuit each day, great food (especially the brekkie) and good choice of ales/wines at the bar, the village is lovely too

Room Tip: Book direct with the pub as the price may include breakfast, by booking online the breakfast is NOT...