“friendly staff”

Masons Arms Gargarve
Ranked #1 of 2 Gargrave B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

One of the things that really struck me during our stay was how friendly the staff were! Room was comfortable, plenty of tea and coffee, and a bonus for us - dog friendly! Hotel very well located if you enjoy walking. Enjoyed our stay, especially our delicious evening meal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed two nights in the Masons Arms, taking two rooms, as we had my Mother-in-law with us. After a mix up with the rooms was sorted out - very pleasantly - we checked into rooms 2 (Mother-in-law, twin room) and 3 (wife, me and dog, double room), side by side on the ground floor. The good things: very clean rooms, water and fresh dog biscuit each day for our pooch, excellent breakfast, served piping hot each morning with a good selection, gluten-free bread provided; rooms serviced each day, towels replaced and a good shower; plenty of tea/coffee sachets and chocolates. The bar in the evenings was full, and it was a nice change not to have background musak - just the sound of voices; free Wi-Fi.

The not-so-good things: the first impressions of the area immediately outside the room left much to be desired; the bath sealant had black mould growing on it; the towel rail fell off when we took a towel off it; we were a bit surprised to see a 5' headboard fixed to the wall but only a 4' 6" bed, and the walls are very thin so we could hear clearly the TV in the next room, and were very aware when the room immediately above us was in use. My Mother-in-Law's shower didn't work on the second morning.

The overall impression was a country pub that is a little 'tired' and could do with some TLC on the rooms, but nevertheless is a good choice for a stay in this area, as it is central for sightseeing. Food is only served until 8.30 in the evenings. Motorists, be aware that the nearest petrol is in Settle, about 11 miles to the west, or Skipton, 6 miles to the east. It's a short walk to the station which is on the Settle to Carlisle line.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms will be quieter, unless you have a dog, when you can only stay in the downstairs...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had a 1 night stay at the Mason Arms with 2 rooms booked (1 being a disabled room) and even the dog was allowed to stay over. The food was very good. (We had dinner & full English breakfast), Friendly management who couldn't do enough for us, a warm friendly atmosphere in the pub, clean and comfortable accommodation. Thank you John and Nic !!
TIP; For those going, when you go through Cargrave from Skipton look for the Co-op on left and about 50 yards further on look for a bridge on left with sign for HGV weight limit, go over the bridge and Masons Arms is on the right. Car park at rear after turning right onto Marton Road. Enjoy.
Dog walkers can enjoy the river walks. Look for the stepping stones.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
johnb252, Owner at Masons Arms Gargarve, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Glad you enjoyed the stay, a review like this make us realise we are doing some of the things right. Thanks again hopefully see you in the future

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Only wanted meal and drinks. First try , four bar staff ignored me to talk about tyre punctures.The second round , bar staff declined to take my order,even after being asked by fellow staff. We decided to eat elsewhere. They did send out a youngster as we were leaving, but no apology.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank cb350f73

I am sorry to hear of your experience this does not sound like my establishment at all. I will look into it and try to establish what happened. If you could let me know what time and date you came it would be most helpful

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very good accommodation, well equipped comfortable room with everything you need for your stay. The food at both the evening meal and breakfast was delicious and there was a fine selection of real ales. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stopped at this delightful pub overnight recently. Our room was extremely well
equipped and clean. A good selection of teas and coffee in the room - always a bonus. We had dinner and breakfast the next morning. Good hearty home cooked food. Lovely. Gargrave is a pretty village and has the Liverpool to Leeds Canal running through it. We strolled down the towpath after dinner as it was such a beautiful evening. Peace!! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Nothing better than a good review from the heart. Thanks

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was in need of an overnight stay somewhere in the Skipton area. My 'go to' choice was booked so I sought an alternative. I consulted the Good Beer Guide as wherever I stayed had to fulfil two very importantant criteria; be within walking distance of a railway station and serve good Real Ale. That's how I found the Mason's Arms at Gargrave and I made my booking - itself a painless experience.

I duly arrived and was shown to my accommodation. This takes the form of two level chalet-style rooms at the back of the pub, accessible without having to enter the pub if a guest happens to return after closing (which is, frankly, unlikely given that the pub is open until midnight!) My room was on the ground floor which I had misgivings about having been kept awake by elephants on the upper floor in places like this before. I did indeed hear occasional footsteps above, but either they were particularly dainty people or it's a well-built place. I suspect the latter.

The room was very impressive. I've stopped in some top quality chain hotels over the years, but there was simply nothing this room lacked in comparison. To the contrary, in fact. By way of example; the generous provision of tea/coffee and -- especially -- milk sachets, puts pretty much everywhere else I've ever stayed to shame.

Though the room and its facilities are excellent, it is the pub itself which is the highlight here. For my evening meal I chose the Mason's Melt. This chicken, bacon & cheese stack comes with bbq sauce but that was left off at my request. It was served with home made chips and veg and was in all respects perfect. That provided the perfect basis upon which to enjoy the beer offerings; Timothy Taylor Landlord, Back Sheep Bitter, Tetley Bitter and Thwaite's Wainwright. For a "beer ticker" that choice may be considered something of a let-down as there is nothing unusual there, but all were well kept and well presented. As well as catering admirably for the visitor such as myself, the Mason's Arms is clearly a popular local, which adds to the ambiance. Sometime the phrase "a local's pub" can infer something of a bad atmosphere for strangers, but again, nothing could be further from the truth here.

Well watered I headed for bed. I was initially a little disconcerted by the nearby church clock chiming each quarter-hour, but as it was a pleasant evening I elected to keep the window open. I know I shouldn't quibble, it is after-all part of the village's character. Besides, I think I only heard it twice and I could always have closed the window! The open window did become a bit of an issue in the early hours as the occasional car seemed to whizz by as the world started on its day. Again, I stress it was my choice to keep it open.

Breakfast isn't served before 08:30 as a matter of routine, but the welcome letter displayed in the room does make the point that alternative arrangements can be made if required. When I went through to the pub are saw it was the landlord acting as waiter, having been at the bar until midnight, I understood why breakfast is no earlier. Anyway, my train wasn't until 09:30 so I was in no rush. Breakfast was excellent. Guests are asked to fill in a form the night before indicating what they want and what time they will be showing up for breakfast, so it is freshly cooked and you get exactly what you want. Fantastic.

As I suspect comes across in this review, I cannot be too fulsome in my praise. I had the perfect stay and would happily go back... but it won't be until the forthcoming madness associated with Le Tour has passed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for the extensive review I am not sure I could have done better if I had written it myself. They say word of mouth is the best marketing tool, reviews like this do wonders. Thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gargrave
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
Maypole Inn
Maypole Inn
#1 of 3 in Long Preston
Throstle Nest Farm Bed and Breakfast

Been to Masons Arms Gargarve? Share your experiences!