“Lovely!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Pineda
UK
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

So, it was my first 2 week holiday in about 7years so to say I was excited about this trip is an understatement. I read on trip advisor about renting fridges and so I emailed them before I went. They said 5euros a day and it could not be guaranteed. They were quick in their response time of the email so this filled me with confidence.

We had booked a double room with a sea view (paid about £150 extra with Thomson) and the view was amazing. We were in room 504 and it was lovely. The room was an adequate size but I'm afraid to say that there was not enough storage for me. We were a family of 3 and there was not enough space for all of our clothes to be kept tidy at all. So I found myself constantly having to sort the wardrobe out and separate our clothes from each others.

We did rent the fridge and happily paid the 20euro deposit which we got back on the last day. This was a god send. We also rented an in room safe for 2.50euro a day (approx.) with a 5 euro deposit also refundable.

We asked for extra pillows and they were promptly delivered to us. The air con doesn't get switched on till mid June so in the 2nd week as it got warmer, we found it difficult to get off to sleep.

We were half board and so there was a buffet for breakfast and evening meal. The breakfasts gave you a choice from fresh fruit, cereal, continental, pancakes and full English's every day. I started to alternate what I would eat each day just for variety purposes really.

The evening buffet was well varied, they always had kids options and were full of fruit and veg too . The dessert buffet was my downfall as I would get so many yummy delights every night (and the weighing scales when I got home confirmed this).

The swimming pool was a good size, we were right on the beach so there was no need of any bigger really.

The goldy club (in-house entertainment) spoke every language from Spanish, Russian, French and then English so everyone was included. This was in addition to the Thomson kids club which were amazing. Just Mandi, Becki Boo and Samwich were fantastic. Even though we went during term time, sometimes my son would be the only attendee (10yrs old) but this didn't stop them taking him and occupying him for a few hours.

All in all, it was a fantastic 2 week break and the Donaire was everything we could have wanted. Although I do think a play park nearby would have made it a 5star in my eyes.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as this is more often away from the nightly activities (noise!)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Tracy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Our first time here and had a blast,the beach is literally outside the main door nice golden sand.the hotel rooms are basic but nice and comfortable,food was above what i expected plenty of choice i wasnt let down atall appart from breakfast which is the same everyday,the kids will have a blast the staff work very long and hard to make sure the kids enjoy,only down side to our stay was the polish/russian guests very rude have no manners atall and the hotel is full of them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paulmcgowan
cardiff
Reviewed 20 June 2014

First time to this part of spain and we weren't disappointed - I travelled with my daughter and 3 yr old grandson - cannot find fault with anything really except I personally wish the pillows were proper pillows rather than the nasty things u get in all hotels abroad - food was fab and full of variety for AI - my grandson thoroughly enjoyed the thomson club and the staff were faultless and attentive - the same goes for the anamacion team - put their all into everything they did - the bar staff were fab too - considering the long hours all the staff put in they always had a smile - just be aware that if u have a room ova looking the bar/pool area it wont be very quiet til bout midnight as thats when the entertainment stops

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank mileskay13
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Recently returned from a week's stay at the Golden in La Pindea. I will break it down into bits to stop myself form waffling !

Hotel:

Very clean, spacious, well appointed rooms, we stayed in 532 which as a corner room had 2 balconies giving us views to 3 of the 4 aspects of the hotel. Room furniture was basic but clean, tidy and comfortable.Air con in the rooms was a godsend as the temps soared to 37 degrees. We also hired a fridge for 35 Euros for the week. One of my favourite aspects of the room was the shower ! It's a bugbear of mine that whilst on holiday you get these drippy rubbish showers that are fixed to the wall meaning you have to be a budding contortionist to rinse everywhere .... this shower was awesome! Real Power shower and it comes off the wall to be hand held, very pleased!. The cleaning staff come every day if you wish and are happy and smiling.
The pool area of the hotel was also a surprise, the water in the pool and Jacuzzi was imaculatly clean. There were enough sunbeds so no fighting and the kids club keeps the kids so occupied you don't feel over run by them.
For tech heads this hotel might annoy you as the wifi is restricted to a zone where despite ample seating it is sometimes difficult to get into.

The Entertainment:

We travelled without our kids so didn't use the kids club but we could see how hard the entertainment worked during the day with non stoop activities for everyone and on the hotter days they would come round with large trays of fruit to cool us off, all very vivacious and friendly.
The nightly entertainment was varied and at times hilarious but for all the wrong reasons. Some of it was pushing the boundaries on cheese and corny but I actually enjoyed this as it was so bad it was funny.

The food: I have nothing but praise for the buffet restaurant at this hotel. Breakfast was more or less the same everyday offering continental, hot and cold options along with cereals, toast, juice, tea and coffee ec. The lunch and dinner services were commendable, different and varied choices each day, fresh and hot which is not easy with a buffet this size, once something ran down to less that a quarter if was replaced. The waiting staff were polite, friendly and prompt at serving drinks and our favourite waiter was Vicktor who was hilarious, and his english is better than he thinks ! The cleaning staff in the buffet do an amazing job despite being spoken to like rubbish by some guests, they are dignified and polite to a fault.
Kids will fall in love with the huge choice of desserts, cakes and puddings on offer in the buffet and trying the mojito and lemon sorbets are a must. One thing that impressed me is the amount of fresh fruit on offer at each sitting, and so varied each day.

Location:

When they say on the beach , they mean literally, 5 steps from hotel to sand. The beach is well looked after and cleaned each evening. The sea was so clear we could see the fish swimming in schoals which was lovely. Yes there is an industrial and shipping section to the far right of the bay, does it detract from enjoying the beach and surroundings? I didn't feel as though it did.

La Pineda itself is very flat making it ideal for people with physical limitations to explore. a 10 minute walk will find you passing shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and a supermarcet. It is also no further to Aquapolis Water park. La Pineda market on a Friday morning is a must for a bargain, which can be found in the large car park behind Aquapolis.
The very beautiful Cap Salou, busy Salou and more upmarket Cambrills are a short bus ride away and offer beautiful beaches, varied shopping and eating opportunities and the Cambrill market on a wednesday is a must for gift shopping.

Local Transport:

The Plana buses are fabulous and offer lots of services, allowing you to explore the whole Costa Dorada and the bus stops are only a 5 minute stroll from the hotel. We caught the bus right up to the door of PortAventura which was fantastic, especially when we wanted to come home after a long hot day, for the bus to be right there at the park and stop 2 minutes from the hotel was a relief ! We also caught the Plana to Salou and Cambrills, both journeys were economical, air conditioned and pleasant.

And Finally a few words for the reps: I have not booked a package holiday for over 20 years and usually do everything myself so the handing over of this to reps was interesting. On the whole I found them to be polite, helpful and informative, and handled difficult situations from other guests calmly and efficiently.

All in all I could find very little to complain about on this holiday and I would recommend and return quite happily.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank pinkzand
Larbert
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

First time at this hotel and after reading some reviews we were a bit unsure of what to expect. We need not have worried as this is a 3 star hotel it exceeded most 4+ hotels we have stayed in. We had a party of 6 my husband, myself our daughter, son in law and 2 grandchildren aged 3 & 6. We were right on the beach which was extremely clean and not too busy, the hotel was immaculately clean and rooms were cleaned every day. Ok the decor and furniture were slightly dated but again clean. The staff were amazing and could not do enough for anyone. The entertainment staff were constant and 'entertaining' from morning till night. The food was excellent and that comes from 4 of 6 very fussy eaters. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our 11 night stay at this hotel and are now in the process of re booking for next year. If you are looking for a fun packed holiday in pleasant surroundings this is the hotel for you, I would honestly say it deserves more than its 3 stars.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank CarolynMCLarbert
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We returned from a 2 week stay at the hotel at the weekend. We had a great holiday and the hotel was perfect for families with children. The food is very good with and excellent selection,lots of things cooked fresh on the grill. The all inclusive option offers great value for money with many branded drinks.
My daughter attended the thomson kids club, this was great and the staff in there are very professional and friendly.She made lots of great things and particularly enjoyed the chocolate party!
The entertainment was good and the staff and animacion team are very good, they try very hard to make everyones holiday fun.
The hotel staff are very friendly and are excellent with children.
great location and views of the beautiful beach,it really is on the beach!
The weather was great during our stay,which helped towards the great holiday had by us all.
I can not find any fault with the hotel and the team, however on our last night my handbag was stolen from the hotel restaurant. It was recovered on the road near the hotel,unfortunately my mobile phone had been stolen. This was a sad end to our holiday but we tried not allow it to spoil things.
Unfortunately the staff were not terribly helpful with regards this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank HKing385
Retford
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We've just stayed at this hotel for 7 night, I was very disappointed I found the staff rood. Our room had been left open twice by cleaners when reporting this the staff didn't care. The card to our room constantly stopped working. The food wasn't brilliant I didn't think there was a very good choice of food. The hotels cleanliness was ok apart from the reception toilet had poo on the toilet floor when explaining this to staff they just looked at us as if they didn't understand what we was saying.
I wouldn't return to this hotel or recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014
Palas Pineda
Palas Pineda
#7 of 8 in La Pineda
Hotel Golden Port Salou

Been to Golden Donaire Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!