“Fantastic family holiday”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Pineda
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fantastic family holiday”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have been visiting this hotel since 1995, (quite often twice a year) when my parents introduced us to it.
I have never written a review as I feel the amount of people who holiday here, usually people like ourselves who visit regularly say it all.
I am writing this as somehow on trip advisor I was taken into the terrible reviews, which I have never read before!
Well I was so shocked I can't tell you. I am one very hard person to please, I am picky and sometimes told I am a snob!
The people who have written these reviews must of stayed in a different hotel because I can not relate to the majority of their complaints/upsets. Particulary about rude staff, they have always been pleasant friendly and unbelievably helpful. This is from Pepe on reception (who used to be a dining room waiter) to the bar staff and chambermaids.
If I have ever had cause to complain i.e. hard beds, more pillows needed, we have just reported it to reception and the problem was sorted within a couple of hours. If you don't ask you don't get, simple!
Regarding the food - well there is always something good to eat even if your picky like me or faddy like my youngest daughter who lives off ham! The dining room staff work very hard to keep it turning over so you dont have to wait long at its busiest times. I will say that the last half hour for breakfast produces a queue as people want to stay in bed longer, but this queue soon diminishes.
The hotel is immaculately clean, we have never seen it dirty. When it is windy the reception can become filled with sand but what do you expect with a hotel that is on the beach! There are ladies continually sweeping the sand out of reception and off the stairs.
The entertainment has always been great from the many daily activities for all ages to the different acts on in the evening. Granted it will not be to everyones taste, but again there is something for everyone. The only evening I don't like it is karaoke night, a pet hate of mine! This is solved by going for a stroll along the Pineda Drink to La Pineda itself were we will browse the shops and have a couple of quiet drinks. Yes the hotel does get noisy when the entertainment is on but that is what I associate with a good family holiday.
All in all this is a great family holiday, a brilliant hotel sitting on the beach within close proximity to a water park and a fantastic theme park. Tarragona, Salou and other places of interest are a short bus ride away. Barcelona is about an hours drive away, well worth a visit but we advise you take the train, bus or coach, don't make the mistake we made and take the car!!!
Book now and enjoy, we always do : )

Room Tip: Ask for pool view if your happy with the pool noise and evening entertainment. If you like a quieter...
15 Thank Cheryl H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from our second stay at the Golden Donaire and once again we had a fantastic time. We arrived early but were checked in and everything by 12 noon which was great.

The staff really make this hotel for me, they are so welcoming and friendly. A special mention for Jero, Ana Maria & Pacqui in the restaurant, they are so hard working and nothing is too much trouble for them. The bar staff are also lovely even if the service is sometimes a tiny bit slow.

For anyone with kids, the hotel is ideal. The animation team in the hotel do an amazing job from early in the day to last thing at night, the kids are thoroughly entertained. I really don't know where they get their energy from!

A final mention has to go to the Thomson team on site who were very visible throughout the holiday and always made sure everything was going well for us. They also run a swap box for holiday gear like lilos, buckets & spades etc which was very helpful - definitely a job well done to Ben, Chantelle and the girls in the kids club!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just arrived home and thought I would write a review as I looked at lots of the reviews before going on the holiday and they helped. First holiday abroad with myself, the wife & 2 year old boy & 4 year old boy and nanny & granddad.
We arrived at hotel about 10am and were told that rooms would not be ready till midday not a big deal just a little disappointed as the hotel would have known we were arriving early after a very early start 3.30am, just thought for the few that were arriving this early they would have a room ready especially as nearly everyone in the hotel is with kids. The reception staff were not that helpful we booked 2 twin rooms with an interconnecting door as all family rooms were already booked and when we got the rooms no interconnecting door and when questioned reception staff about this they told us just to speak with the Thomson Rep.
The food was nice, only there for a week but would imagine if staying for 2 weeks would get a bit repetitive.
Staff at the bars and restaurant were all very nice and would not only interact with us adults but would also speak to the kids and joke about with them.
The pool area is big with plenty of tables & chairs and sun beds, one BIG negative was the fact there is very little shade and no umbrellas are provided, we went and bought 2 umbrellas from the supermarket across the road but with no stands to put them in we had to wedge them into the sunbeds to keep them up and couldn’t really get allot of shade from them. With young children shade was a priority for us.
The children’s entertainment was the BIG positive the guys & girls that entertain the kids seemed to be at the hotel 24/7, the kids disco on the evenings were brilliant, lots of dancing and also prior to the disco there was face painting, balloon animals, always something going on for them.
The location of the hotel is fantastic right on the beach and close to shops, market, Water Park, restaurants. The walk along the sea front as well is really nice.
Overall would definitely go back as a family and really enjoyed the holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in 450 which was on the beach/road side and had very little noise, the kids slept fine.
7 Thank Andy G
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

spotlessly clean hotel, perfect if you have kids, we don't but still loved it!! Rooms cleaned every day with clean towels even when we didn't ask for them. All the staff were really nice nothing was to much trouble.would recomend to anyone. Food was presented well and all very nice. Only downside for us was not much going on in La Pineda in the evenings, but the hotel entertainment was good.

Room Tip: we had a first floor room overlooking beach lovey
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jill H
leeds
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just arrived back from the hotel today I would just like to make you aware that I am a person who is known for telling it how it is. This hotel is a very good quality 3 star hotel, people on previous reviews have said it s a bit dated well they are very clean and the décor is not that bed hence people are only paying for a 3 star so what are they expecting. The food is plentiful something for everybody. Entertainment going on all day for all ages if you want to join in even aqua aerobics to keep the weight off food must be good as I have managed to gain 7 pounds and I am hard to please anybody who knows me knows that's a fact . The all inclusive is very good variety of ice-creams for kids ,slush puppies. All in all this is a very good 3 star hotel right on the beach and a beautiful promenade to walk on a evening market also good on a Sunday short bus ride away.

Room Tip: wi fi in certain area in reception although we got it on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank glorialeeds
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel from 26 July for 10 nights. 2 adults and 3 children aged 4,8,10.

Rooms: We stayed in 106 and my sister in 101. We had a beach view that was lovely. The rooms are basic and the bathrooms need upgrading as we had black mould on the grout. We were rarely in the room so it didn't bother us

Pool: lovely pool area with a large pool, baby pool and jacuzzi pool. Yes the Sunbed rush is true, but we went in July. If you weren't queuing by 8am you would struggle to get a Sunbed. There are plenty of chairs around the pool though.

Bars: the pool bar and inside bar are open throughout the day and night (pool bar closes at 5 and re opens at 2130). I didn't find many queues at the bar, max 5 min wait. The drinks are nice. The service is good, especially susana who was fabulous. If your AI you can only get ice cream and coffee from the inside bar (which I thought daft). They stop serving AI people from 11pm prompt and I cannot get a drink until 10am even though the bar is open.

Snack bar: this was fabulous. Open 4 times during the day for AI, my kids didn't like breakfast but had something at 10am from there, and they could have a toastie at 10pm for their supper.

Beach: 9 steps and your on it!! Clean and safe. Loads of water sports on the beach.

Busplana: don't book any excursions with your rep. There is a busplana shop opposite the beach and they sell fully guided excursions for half of the price of your rep. We went to Nou camp with them and they were fabulous.

Aquopolis: buy your tickets and meal deal before you go from their website at it's half the price if your rep and the door price. There is something for everyone. It's very expensive inside so bring plenty on drinks. I have reviewed this separately on here if u want more info.

Restaurant: very strange food combinations sometimes at dinner and tea. For example cheese balls, veg and chips?!? They had fish every night but I like proper dinners (ie meat, potatoes etc) but these happened rarely. You never had to queue or wait for a table and there were 5 of us. Waiters were nice but they cleared your plate away as u were still eating. The kids always had something to eat like pizza chips hot dog burgers.

Reception: Check in is from 12 md. But u can use all the facilities from when u get there. We rarely used reception so cannot comment about their efficiency.

Arcades: plenty of pool tables and arcades in the snack bar. We had to stop our children from going in there due to too many nasty unsupervised kids,

Kids clubs. Wowsers . You can choose from thompsons and the goldie club and they run along side each other. All ages can go into goldie club together but thompsons seperate them. Under 8 11-1pm and over 8s from 2-4. Goldie club runs most nights from 930pm-11pm. Thompsons run 3 nights from 7-10 but charge you from 5e per child. Our kids used both.

Daily entertainment: this is non stop from 1030am. They separate people into under 11s, teenagers and adults and they have all sorts from 1030-330. Kids disco is from 730pm, bingo from 9pm and an act from 10pm. Kids disco is torture and repetitive and we had young children too.

Thompson reps: you only saw them if they wanted money from you ie kids clubs etc. the reps tell u to go to them with any complaints and they will deal with it, pure rubbish, Our air con was not working and I reported this to the reps and after nothing happening in 24 hours I went to reception myself and it was repaired in 20 min.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Would I return-no. But I never go back to the same place twice.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Reilly-Family3
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed for 10 nights, good family hotel. All Inclusive package well worth it as proper drinks and slush etc for kids along with decent ice creams! Have stayed in 4 stars that have not been so good as this hotel, nothing fancy but you will not be disappointed.

8 Thank Susan M
#6 of 8 in La Pineda
Golden Port Salou
Golden Port Salou
#8 of 93 in Salou

Been to Golden Donaire Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!