“Very Good Holiday”

Gran Hotel La Hacienda
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Pineda
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel at the end of May 2014 with my daughter and must say it exceeded our expectations. The hotel is very clean and well maintained and the food was good with a wide selection at all times.

I'm always a bit baffled by reviews which seem to be unhappy with the fact that staff and other guests are Spanish - it is in Spain after all! We found the staff extremely helpful and friendly, and all the guests were similarly pleasant. I also have to pay special tribute to the animacion team - while my 5 year old daughter didn't go to the kids club (which was recommended) the team were fantastic with all the kids of all nationalities at the mini disco. My daughter had a ball, and they made her very welcome.

The hotel is well located in La Pineda, about 5 minutes from a nice quiet beach, 15 minutes from Aquopolis and adjacent to a bus stop connecting to Port Aventura, Barcelona etc. We visited Port Aventura a few times and tended to taxi rather than get the bus - 5 mins versus 45 mins and around €10 rather than €5 for the two of us. Pineda itself is fairly quiet, but a nice enough place. There is a nice, clean beach and a water park and plenty of choice for eating out. Not a lot of English pubs or fish and chips, so if that's your thing probably best to stay in Salou.

All in all, I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for families for a quiet break

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the pool was nice and quiet. Some of the outward facing rooms would have a bit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Stuart W

Reviewed 5 June 2014

went to this hotel in april of this year, read some of the reviews some people had left for this hotel and couldnt believe they were talking about the same hotel, some had left messages berating the hotel i found none of this the hotel was lovely the staff outstanding and couldnt do more to help with anything you wanted, it was just me and my husband that went for his birthday had an exceptional time and want to go back asap, so guys dont believe all you read from bad hotel reports.

Room Tip: all rooms have excellent views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kazstu64
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Me and my mum visited this hotel for a week in May. Upon arrival after a very stressful transfer experience we were welcomed by a nice gent who checked us in and gave us a pacl lunch as we arrived at 1am and had not eaten. The rooms and the communal areas of the hotel are spotless!! The outdoor pool area was also very clean. We arrive on a thursday and the hotel was very quiet on the Friday day time, we were the only people around the pool. From Friday eveing until Sunday the hotel was very busy with Spanish families visiting for the weeekend which made the hotel a bit more lively. The food was good at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cooked breakfasts not quite like you get in UK but thats to be expected. There was a chef at the buffet every lunch and dinner freshly cooking meat and fish. Sometimes the food could be cold but that would be my only complaint. The buffet would be good for kids with a separte mini buffet section. Waiting staff were very good and efficient. Selection of drinks such as soft drinks, wine and beer available. I did not really have any snacks between meals but I know crisps were included in the all inclusive which you could get from the bar. The bar area was big and the bar staff lovely although it did have a bit of a cold feel due to the hard seating. We only sat to watch the entertainment on one night and there was bingo with a kids disco. The entertainer spoke a variety of languages so everyone could join in the bingo. A noisy couple were in the room next to us and kept us awake on 2 occasions, we mentioned this to the recceptionist who moved us straight away to another room. In terms of location the hotel is on the edge of a quiet resort about 15 mins from the busier Salou. There is a fantastic bus service from just down thr road from the hotel. You can buy a bus card for 15 euro and it gives you 10 trips on the bus to any stop. Overall a fantastic break away and would recommend this hotel in future.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are lovely but can be nosy from the entertainment at night. The other rooms face ont...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 25 May 2014

When we booked this hotel through LowCost Holidays, we thought that although it was classed as a 4 star, it would probably be a 2.5 or 3 star such has been our experience in Spain. However, we were most pleasantly surprised when it did indeed turn out to be 4*. The rooms were spotlessly clean with two 3/4 beds. The public areas were also spotless as was the pool area. The hotel bar was functional but not comfortable. I would class it as having a "canteen effect "with lots of amusement and games consoles. The breakfast buffet was well provided for although dinner was not up to much. In fact we ate out for 3 of the 7 nights we were there.
If you wish to go to the livlier resort of Salou, busses stop right outside the hotel and take about 10 mins. The fare is cheap (euro 2.15) and the service is very frequent.
The staff including the room maids were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The only downside as far as we were concerned (although it is not a big deal) is that apart from BBC News Worldwide, there are no English language programmes.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and would definately book again

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies although south facing rooms overlook the pool and can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joe K
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I went with college on the trip the room was great and the facilities, I did not see the spa/indoor pool and gym but was told the indoor pool wasn't very nice.The food improved towards the end of our stay but at the beginning the food was rubbish.We were told we had to pay for drinks and we found out towards the end of the trip that we could have free milkshake and fruit juice.Service could be a little bit better as we were waiting to order drinks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We Staying for 7 nights which I think is an ample amount of time at this hotel on an all inclusive package. When we arrived we were told that the room wasn't ready, I asked if we could go and get a drink at the bar etc and was told this wouldn't be a problem, however I would need to pay for this as they wouldn't give us our bands until check in was finished. I was a little taken aback with this, it's never been a problem in any other hotels. We finally got checked in around about a hour later, room was lovely and clean and we had a view over looking the theme park in the distance which brought many nights of enjoyment watching the rides etc.. The hotel is situated at the end of the resort close to an oil refinery, this didn't cause any bother no smell etc came from the plant so it was put out the back of our minds, apart from that it's only a small stroll to the closest bars and restaurants. La Pineda is a lovely quiet resort it's very popular with the Spanish as this seems to be their holiday resort of choice. For quite a few days we were the only British people in the hotel. It was a struggle to get a sunbed in the morning around the pool so we would walk to the beach which was only 5 mins away then head back in the afternoon when they all disappear for their siesta, then you have the pick of the full pool where you wanted to relax. The food is nothing to write up about, I think this was mainly because it was catering for the Spanish taste buds, but I always was able to find something, the salads were extremely fresh and there was always plenty of fish dishes. The only thing that annoyed me about the all inclusive part was the snacks that were promised during the day, this included a packet of crisps or a stale sandwich and ham, cheese if you were lucky. Not really all inclusive at its best.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leanne96
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel from 17th to 24th April 2014. We booked via Teletext holidays who advertised the hotel as 5star. In fairness the hotel themselves only grade the place as four star. We upgraded to a suite room for an additional cost. The suite room itself is nice. It's still one large bedroom and a separate living room but the bathroom is lovely - a big jacuzzi bath big enough for two adults and a toddler at the same time as we found out much to our child's enjoyment as she loved having a bath with both mommy and daddy at the same time! The room itself was comfortable and clean.

We stayed bed and breakfast and only once at dinner at the hotel itself. The food is average. I would not recommend an all inclusive stay at this hotel. The hotel bar itself is far from comfortable. It's a very large open space surrounded by games consoles and arcade amusements and a large TV with three pool tables indoors. It's practical in it's design but all the chairs are hard chairs (no comfortable sofas or soft furnishings) so it's a clinically designed bar. Not very inviting to be honest although the drink prices themselves were extremely reasonable.

The staff speak very limited english which is not a problem generally for us and by no means were they unhelpful. I cannot fault the service of the staff at all however the limited english did mean that our toddler who is 3 couldn't take full advantage of the children's club which the hotel offered. The childrens' club staff tried their very best and were of course lovely but it's difficult to encourage a child to participate in a group where all the other children are spanish and the leaders of the club spoke very limited english.

The hotel is a seven minute walk to the beach. Fine for adults not so good if you're with young children as the walk takes twice as long and was sometimes exasperating! There is a main road to cross to get to the beach and the hotel itself overlooks a factory in the distance at the front and a petrol station. The hotel is literally just offset from a large main road roundabout. Not the nicest frontage!

The outdoor pool is large and there are plenty of sun loungers,. The indoor pool is small (max 20 persons it states and I'd say that's pushing it) and unless you're all inclusive the use of the indoor pool will cost you an extra 2 euros per person each day you use it and, remember indoor pools in spain legally require all visitors to wear swimming hats so don't come unprepared!

I can't put my finger on it exactly but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again nor would I recommend it. That statement is I know a little ironic considering that I can't fault the hotel staff nor the accommodation. I speak Spanish so I don't have an issue with the fact the staff spoke limited english but I think the fact that it affected my toddler's ability to get involved in the hotel run events has put me off.

How to sum up? The hotel isn't bad overall although I wish the frontage wasn't opposite a main round roundabout and a petrol station. I also wish the route to the beach was a little safer (not along a busy main road) and shorter (although I can't blame the hotel for my toddler wanting to stop and look at everything en route to the beach!!). The hotel is as I've said on a main road so transport links via bus direct to Salou, Tarragona, Reus, Cambrills and even Barcelona are on the doorstep of the hotel. The staff are friendly. The hotel is clean and I'm glad we upgraded to the suite. The food is not so good but it's edible and will suffice though I wouldn't recommend an all inclusive stay.

Overall if you don't speak Spanish then the staff will do their best to help you but if you're a family with young children I'd steer away. Find a hotel on the foothills of the beach and off the main road. The children's club will be mostly off limits to them except perhaps for the evening mini disco and as parents you'll become exasperated walking your children outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: If there are more than two travelling then I recommend you upgrade to a suite don't have a stand...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
H10 Mediterranean Village
Sol Costa Daurada
Sol Costa Daurada
#23 of 93 in Salou

Been to Gran Hotel La Hacienda? Share your experiences!