“Great Holiday”
Review of Estival Park Salou

Estival Park Salou
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in La Pineda
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have just returned from a weeks all inclusive holiday at Estival Park with my partner and 3 children. We had a bit of a nightmare getting there with a 20 hr delay that included an emergency landing so we were very glad to get there and check into our 2 bedroom apartment! Checkout was quick and efficient. Having read previous reviews I knew the apartments were separate to the hotel behind a secure gate which I was happy about, I liked the feeling of security. I didn't realise just how big the complex was with 3 hotels, 4 outdoor pools apartments, spa, gym, indoor pool, kids club and nightclub/piano bar. The grounds were immaculately kept and really lovely to walk around. Our apartment was very clean and fresh towels were left every day. We were on the ground floor which was great with a buggy and no worries about the safety of a balcony. My only gripe with the apartments was that there was no kettle or iron which I would have expected! The apartment grounds were again lovely and there was a separate pool for them which was nice and quiet so we mainly stuck to this one! Its true that it was a little bit of a trek for drinks/ snacks but this was a minor thing.

We were allocated hotel 2 for meals and we tended to stick to this. The food was great with a large selection including lovely salads and we found no problem finding options for the kids. Yes it was busy but that was to be expected and we never had to queue or wait for a table. The restaurant staff work very hard keeping the place clean and replenishing food and the waitresses always made a fuss over our daughters. if you asked for water or wine a bottle was brought to the table though there was also self serve soft drinks, beer and sangria. The desserts were delicious and there was plenty of ice cream and jelly for the children. We did not encounter any rude staff or guests at all.

We also mostly used the snack bar at hotel 2 as it was fully self service with burgers, hot dogs, chips, fish, pork, cheese and ham toasties, salads, cold meats, crisps, nuts and pastries. Again there were pumps for soft drinks, sangria and the local beer and a hot drinks machine. One of the best features was the fridge full of small and large bottles of water to help yourself too and the one filled with ice lollies. All of this ran from 10am to 11pm. Other alcoholic drinks could be ordered at the bar.

We weren't affected by any towels on lounger issues as we only used the apartment pool or the one at hotel 3 as it was quiet. It was livelier around the pools at hotels 1 and 2 with various activities going on during the day which looked fun so in my opinion the hotel caters well for everyone! The mini disco was fab for the little ones, it runs from 8-8.30 in hotel 2 and 8.30 - 9 in hotel 1. We used to go to hotel 2 then when it ended move to hotel 1 then take the kids to the playpark while we waited for the evening entertainment to start at 10. I have seen people complain about this being too late for children but this wasn't an issue for us, our younger children usually go to bed at 7.30 at home but stayed up until 11 then just slept later in the morning! Some of the evening entertainment was pure cheese but after all we were on holiday so its best just to get into the spirit of things and have a laugh! There is a different act in each hotel and is advertised on boards inside and outside the hotels.

We used the kids club a few times while our youngest was sleeping in the apartment with one of us the other would take our older two around. We used it maybe 3 times and the staff remembered their names and were brilliant with them, my 5 year old in particular loved it. Some of the same team run the mini disco, all of the animation team work very hard and Vera in particular was a big hit with my 2 and 5 yr old.

La Pineda itself is a lovely little town, some have called it quiet but it was quite busy in the evenings. Along the main strip are bars, restaurants, amusements and touristy shops. Yes you are constantly asked if you want hair braids etc but if you are polite to them when you say no they are polite in return. When you come out of the hotel and turn right there is a small supermarket a few yards up and if you turn left there is a much larger one about 5 minutes walk. The waterpark was good but I was glad we did not pay for the Aquasplash option at the hotel. The beach was really lovely and so close to the hotel.

We did not bother with any excursions as our time was cut short by our delay so we only had 5 full days, for the same reason we did not get to use the spa or indoor pool so I can't comment on those.

So in summary we really enjoyed our stay, apartments good, food great, staff nice and hard working in particular kids club staff. We would definitely stay again though next time for 10 days as it felt too short! Would definitely recommend for families as you can choose to have a quieter or more lively holiday depending on your preference. If you don't like children then don't go here lol, I have to laugh at people complaining about kids running around!

15  Thank Fran07
Write a ReviewReviews (3,560)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The whole holiday was a great experience, we stay in hotel 1 in June for ten nights. The airport transfer was quick, we arrived early in the morning and our room was ready. The rooms were lovely and clean as was the whole hotel.

The First Choice travel advisors were excellent, especially Jasmin who was really friendly and knowledgeable about where to go and what to do and getting you the best deals.

The food was really good with a good variety to cater for everyone. The one area to improve would be the staff in the hotel, they sometimes came across as rude or abrupt but I am sure this is just a cultural thing. Saying that, the entertainment staff were excellent, especially Ian and Jose.

The evening entertainment was good, a lot of people complained about it but I'm not sure what people expect, a Broadway show?! The entertainment was varied from singers, magic, body balance, karaoke, dancers etc and some was a bit cheesy but fun too and isn't that what you go on holiday? I've been to many different place around the world and have seen far worse than this. Each hotel had different entertainment every night so you have a choice of three things to choose from.

If you go into Salou, try the Guinness Tavern, the food is excellent! The House of Illusion is a must do too and the downhill bikes.

The beach is five minutes away and so it the water park, which is great fun, the dolphin show is really good. Try a game of paddle at the hotel too!

Finally, the spa is also lovely and the treatments are worth trying.

Overall this is a great resort for families and brilliant value for money and I would stay here again.

6  Thank Ambercrystalgoo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just returned yesterday from 7night stay at Estival Park 2. Myself, my husband, 4yr old and 2yr old children. Arrived on the Tuesday, it was pouring down!! Nothing we could do about that, took about 30minutes on the bus to get to hotel. Check in was quite quick. We were on bottom floor, overlooking the pool. We were in a twin/duplex room which sleeps four with room for a cot. The room itself had a staircase with two beds upstairs, wardrobe, drawers and television. Downstairs was a cabin bed style, could pull another bed out underneath, wardrobe, drawers and television. Safe and fridge. Good size bathroom, sink, toilet and bath, with shower over the bath. Was very awkward to bath two kids tho due to the glass screen which you couldn't move!! I did request a quiet room when I booked holiday however this didn't happen. Our first night was terrible, the entertainment was blaring out until 11.30hrs and then staff were tidying tables and chairs away, so loud!!! I don't know how people can sleep in rooms overlooking pool. Anyway, I went straight to reception in the morning. Spoke to Ingrid, who offered a different room and gave me key to have a look to see if I liked it. Ingrid was lovely, very helpful and she made my holiday. We moved to room 2049, which was still on ground floor, hotel 2 but on the other side, and lovely and quiet. It was a kids club room, had the mascot on the door. Same duplex set up, excellent touch having the two bean bags, kids loved them, decor was great for the kids.
Suggestions for kids rooms - STAIR GATE please, my 2yr old was up and down the stairs all the time, can't believe he never fell. Also, kids steps to reach the sink.
Rooms were kept clean, daily towels if you wanted them, and plenty of loo roll.
The kids pool at hotel 2 was great, just the right depth for my youngest to stand up in so he got his confidence in the pool, eldest loved it too, however wish the older kids, 10yrs up would stay in the bigger pool, too boisterous!! Poolside was always clean.
Food was always going to be an issue for me being a veggie, and I was prepared for this. However I wish they could have done at least one veggie meal option. Yes, I could eat the vegetables, or the salad with chips or pasta, but would have loved to be veggie curry or veggie chilli or veggie burgers, they spoiled so many of the lovely salads by putting ham or tuna on them where the option is there to add ham or tuna if you want it on. Also they sometimes added meat to the vegetables, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! The variety of bread was excellent, so much that my trousers don't fit!!! Lovely pastries and cakes, soup, when veggie one was nice. Loved the champagne for breakfast, think it was supposed to be for Buck's Fizz but I had it straight!!
The ladies in the restaurant were fantastic, so friendly especially towards my extremely flirty 2yr old boy. I think my kids had so much food in the end, they sometimes just had fruit and ice cream. My hubby who is a meat eater loved all the meat and fish, no complaints from him.
Suggestions for restaurant - JACKET POTATOES please, try to be a bit healthier!! Also better signing for what food is and what's in it, some things are signed some aren't. Also please use the correct utensil for certain food, stop using tongs for veg to pick up meat!!!!!
Entertainment- we got our kids to have a nap in the afternoon so they could stay up for kids disco at 8pm. They both loved it, however only got confidence on last night to join in. Very catchy tunes with dances, great. Evening entertainment in hotel 2 wasn't good. Best night was the Sunday night when it was quiz night, fantastic, everyone enjoyed it. World of fantasy was terrible, other acts ok.
SNACK BAR - not good for veggies, basically chips and cheese. Could have done cheese toasties instead of cheese and ham, veggie burgers and veggie sausages. Great for kids. Problems with self serve drinks, alcoholic cocktail being next to kids cocktail, maybe put alcohol higher so kids can't reach?? Great endless supply of crisps, nuts, biscuits, water, pop, juice, tea, coffee, milkshakes and ice lollies, beer and sangria.
We did go to the beach which is just over the road from hotel complex. Lovely beach, paid 13euros for two sun beds and big parasol thing which was ours all day, only managed to stay couple of hours cos of the heat but was lovely. Portaloo toilets were clean.
We never used the kids club because they only take over 3yrs so my eldest wouldn't like leaving her little brother behind. Every time we walked passed kids seemed to be having fun tho. Hotel grounds kept really clean, lovely, only suggestion - LARGE GRASS AREA for kids to play on would be great, my 2yr old just wanted to have a kick about and couldn't really do that near the pool.

Overall, lovely hotel, great room, pool fab, lovely staff from cleaners to reception. We will be back next year, but please get some VEGETARIAN FOOD!!!!!

Room Tip: Duplex rooms have stairs so more space for kids. Rooms overlooking the pool are very noisy, we looke...
8  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We returned from Estival Park, La Pineda on 24.06.14, we were in a 2 bedroom apartment as we are a family of 5 however what we didn't realise was that the apartments aren't actually in or near the main hotel, we paid for an all inclusive holiday and that was far from what we got!
I can't fault the apartments, cleaners in everyday with clean towels and with having 3 kids the washing machine came in very handy, however our apartment was at least a 10 minuet walk (each way) from the hotel where all the drinks and snacks were allocated, when you are in 30 degree heat in the middle of the day the last thing you want is to walk all that way for a drink, we ended up buying drinks from the supermarket to keep in the fridge for around the pool, the pool for the apartments were very nice however most if not all the sun beds were broken, when I say broken I mean that you could not put it in different sitting positions you basically had to lye down all the time. I feel that a small pool side bar would be very beneficial if this is where the hotel allocated larger families with children! It was very difficult to get a space at the pool in the hotel complex as the guests staying in the hotel were there hence our reason for staying at the pool near our apartment.
The food was very good with variety always chicken/beef dishes and lots of seafood but I would say they don't cater much for children in the restaurant as there wasn't any "kids food" such as chicken nuggets or sausages unless you get those from the snack bar before you go into the restaurant which we ended up doing for our 3 year old. The snack bar was brilliant selection of sausages, burgers, hot dogs, toasties, chips etc.
The location of the complex is very central in La Pineda, with shops and Supermarket just outside the entrance, the only thing was all the ladies constantly hounding you for hair bradding and the "lookie lookie" men but they were friendly. With the beach right across the road it was perfect.
We had the unlimited waterpark access and the kids loved it my children are 9, 5 and 3 and they we're never bored, the park is very clean (as were the toilets) and would definitely be back.
Although we felt we never got the All Inclusive experience due to the location of our apartment we would definitely go back to this hotel however we would book 2 twin rooms so we could actually stay in the hotel, the location was perfect for families and my kids loved the hotel run kids club, you are away from the hustle and bustle of Salou but close enough (10min bus trip) to experience it, we are thinking of returning again in 2015.

Room Tip: Apartments are not in the main hotel complex.
8  Thank Louise A
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Although I really enjoyed my stay at Aquasplash estival resort, I had mixed feelings throughout the holiday. The transfer from the airport to the hotel took about an hour on the way there due to drop-offs but only about 20 minutes on the way back. We arrived at the hotel around 11 and our room was ready which was great. We were in hotel 1, because we had the aquapolis water park included in our package. We requested a low floor room with a double bed and were happy to acknowledge that the hotel had met our request, although we regretted this decision immediately as our room was situated above the restaurant and therefore our view was the gravelled ceiling and we could not see the pool, or the sea, or anything for that matter. As there are three parts to the hotel, it is extremely busy and full of families and children running about and screaming. This is to be expected but this is probably one of the reasons I personally would not return, me and my boyfriend prefer somewhere a bit more relaxed but this wouldn't stop me recommending Estival park to anyone else, this is just down to our personal taste.

Good points:
The food - I don't understand how anyone has criticised the food!! There was always plenty to choose from at breakfast, dinner and tea and although sometimes it got a bit repetitive, it was always hot and tasty. Also the snack bars were a godsend on days where we had excursions planned before dinner time, brilliant for fellow brits who love a burger or hotdog.
As i mentioned previously, with there being 3 hotels in the complex that means having 3 restaurants and three pools to choose from. Hotel 1 and 2 were always the most busy around the pool and were full of families and children. We stuck to hotel 3 as the pool in my opinion, was much better and it was much more relaxing as there were less children using it. Also, if you want a sun lounger in hotel 2 you would have to be up at the crack of dawn, but we regularly walked into hotel 3 around 10 and got a great lounger.
The rooms were big enough and always extremely clean. They looked like they were last decorated in the 90's however, but that didn't really bother us.
The hotels are located about a 5 minutes walk from the beach and 'strip' of la pineda, so in a great location.
Also, the Thomson reps were so helpful so big thumbs up to them!!

Bad points:
There is free wifi available in the reception areas, however it is rubbish! We resorted to paying one euro every time we used the computer for ten minutes and even then some of the computers didn't work. I'd suggest paying 15 euro for the premium wifi for the week which apparently can be accessible anywhere within the hotel. I can't comment because we didn't use it but wish we had now.
Again, our view from the room was dismal.
At meal times it was so hectic in the restaurants due to the amount of people staying at the hotel and sometimes people had to queue outside! We started going to hotel 2 for meals and that seemed easier and quieter, and it also opens half an hour earlier than the other two hotels for tea.
On a night outside around the entertainment area there are not enough seating areas for everyone! Most of the time, if you weren't sat waiting for the entertainment for over an hour before it was due to start then you wouldn't get a seat.
Also, the elevators are tiny! They fit about 4 people in at a time so can be frustrating, especially I imagine if you are travelling as a family. This was one perk of being on a low floor, so we could use the stairs if we needed to.

We done two excursions through Thomson. The first was Barcelona football & free time which was around 50 euro and consisted of the Nou Camp experience which I would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't experienced it, and then we had 3 hours spare time in Barcelona. We heard that it was much cheaper to book at the Bus Plana on the strip, but we preferred to book through Thomson to know we were in safe hands. We also booked the 3 hour Catamaran fly boat trip which was good and included all inclusive drinks and food from the BBQ.

The weather wasn't great while we were there, we had 5 nice-ish days, one cloudy and one where it rained and thundered pretty much all of the day.

La Pineda itself wasn't really what I would usually like. There is a strip with bars and restaurants and the beach is nice but there wasn't much else to do. No water sports on the beach or mini golf so sometimes found it hard to keep entertained. Also a lot of the places on the promenade were aimed at russians, there are a lot of russians in la pineda!

All in all, like I said, I'd recommend this hotel to families but not for young couples wanting a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Chloe M
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Wasn't happy we couldn't get into our rooms on arrival, this was both our rooms and our friends
I think we waited 3 hours, so into the Bar for a snack and a larger. Larger was the best I have had abroad, Superb. The bar is a busy place and staff work constantly hard to serve you, shame
some people don't have the manners to wait and try to jump in sometimes. Clean bar area and
seating is comfortable with good people watching areas, we always do this. Small amusement
area and snack bar within 10 paces from where you sit and food is freshly cooked and replenished all the time . Hotel number 1 is where we were, so expect lots of other people visiting for breakfast - lunch - evening meal. I myself don't agree with this, Lunch yes as people are on the move, so why not. But hotel 2 & 3 both have the own breakfast & lunch setup so
I say stay at your own, this may not bother others but I tell you, you wait until you are sitting up
on you balcony at 06.30 am , yes not kidding- and watch people from the sister hotels coming
in and putting towels down on sunbeds then going back and not returning for two more hours.
They should stop it, it was embarrassing for me to have to join in and do this, if you don't you
stand up all day around the pool, it is not a large area and soon gets busy. Entertainment staff
are excellent, they work hard and are always on hand and when needed, shooting, table tennis, Jenga, Hoops, pool games, stage dancing, Both of the children loved it. Evenings are busy
again as Hotels 2 & 3 do not have evening acts on, all entertainment is Hotel 1 at night. We got
a bit fed up with it some nights as is repeated each week, and we stayed for 14 nights which is
too long, we usually do 10 at most places. Food in the restaurants is ok but to much of the same old, and this get a bit to much, because being all inclusive you natural reaction is greed, we have paid for it so we are not missing it, Lunch breakfast etc, not everyone is the same but I find it
to much, same old repeated food. Gym and spar superb, free entry apart from spa which you
need to but a hat, 3 euros. Some people review it as Excellent, Some Bad wont go back so
each to there own, my review is as a family, not me and me wife that have no kids, or a couple that like peace and quiet, For children 4 stars, I personally like somewhere a bit upmarket
with more self serve, and better air con and rooms, our room had 1 mirror, in the bathroom when
there was enough wall for six, bathrooms are old old old, and need ripping out. A fancy staircase
up to the main bedroom where you cant swing a cat doesn't do anything for me, air con wasn't
working up stairs, and our friends next door where ravaged by flying ants all over the bathroom
and were not moved for 5 days, So not a 4 star hotel at all. Over all - Very busy, very clean,
Good staff on the entertainment side, not many smiles from behind the bar, Rooms clean but
need updating, not all but ours, Food was average, pool areas hectic and requires a no towel
on sunbed rule and it needs to be monitored by half a dozen staff around the pool, Evening staff at eateries are good and work hard, I enjoyed my first week, wouldn't return but that is the same with most.

Room Tip: Entertainment is Loud, reviews before we went said this. We want a ground floor room and got one at...
2  Thank ianh10
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from a fabulous holiday at Estival Park. The rooms are immaculately clean and there was a wide choice of food for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The snack bar was frequently replenished much to the relief of my son ! The pool and pool area were kept very clean and the towel hire was a good touch. The staff were friendly and helpful.Will definately be returning next year !!

Room Tip: If you are not a night owl avoid a room with a pool view as the evening entertainment is by the pool...
3  Thank Joanne R
Apartamentos Pineda Park
Apartamentos Pineda Park
#1 of 8 in La Pineda
H10 Mediterranean Village

Been to Estival Park Salou? Share your experiences!