“Fantastic - ignore the negative reviews!”
Review of Hotel Marina Parc

Hotel Marina Parc
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic - ignore the negative reviews!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have just returned from Marina Parc with my husband and 3 children (13, 10, 5). I was really worried about going based on some of the negative reviews on here but thankfully i resisted the urge to change my holiday as it was fab! We actually played a game in our family every day called " spot the people who will moan on trip advisor!". Yes, there are some negatives but every thing which was negative was easily sorted with a word at reception. No, it is not a 5 star hotel - it is a 3 star!!

Please, also, when you write a review, review the resort/accommodation - not your actual holiday!

We booked a 3 bed apartment as this was only £28 more than a 2 bed. I asked on the forums on here about where they were located and was told they didnt have 3 bed places and that we would have 3 x 1 bed apartments with connecting doors which did worry me a lot so i emailed the hotel who confirmed i did have a 3 bed apartment. WOW! it was a 4 bed house over 2 storeys - definitely worth paying the £28 to upgrade from the 2 bed to the 3 bed! We had a kitchen, living/dining room and a bedroom on the ground floor and then 3 bedrooms (one off of the master bedroom, perfect for smaller children) and another bathroom on the 2nd floor. There was a balcony on the 2nd floor which was accessed by the 2 main rooms. On the ground floor we had a little terrace with table and chairs and we had a small front garden area. On the balcony we also had an airer for drying towels. The kitchen was a proper (basic) kitchen which had an oven, hob, cutlery, crockery, full size fridge and freezer. Fantastic! The living room had a 40inch LG TV which showed disney channels in english, both bathrooms were identical - showers over baths, bidet, toilet, sink, hairdryer & shaving socket. All of the bedrooms had big built in wardrobes with shelving too.

We took our own pool towels but you can hire them from the hotel at a charge of 20euro deposit for the week (i assume this is per towel?) and then 1euro per towel. There is a small complex just 2mins walk from the water park which has a supermarket, 2 souvenir shops, 2 restaurants/bars, car hire place, and a small fun park. You may be able to pick up cheap towels from here.
The supermarket sold everything and was used by the locals - we stocked up on water, crisps and snacks here. You could also post your postcards and this is where you catch the bus to Mahon.

Yes there were ants in the apartment - we woke up on our first morning to a line from the front to the rear of the house. I wandered down to reception (1minute away) and politely mentioned it to the reception lady who sent a cleaner round to zap them - she left the spray so we used it when we found any others. There was another english man in there at the same time kicking off about the ants, demanding to change rooms, hoping to drag me into his moan. I actually made a joke of it with the receptionist and said you get them wherever - it's a hot country! The only negative about the ants was there was no brush in the apartment to sweep up the dead ones.

The beds were comfy and the air con was adequate.

We found there to be no issues with wasps or ants around any of the pools. We also found no issues with cut tiles, dirty pools or slipping over - i did see one or two children slip around the pools but these were children who were running. We did take aqua shoes having read to on here but they were not needed. Save yourself the money!

The waterpark is small but perfect. We spent 2 whole days there. It opens at 10.30am although the queue starts by 10 to get the best sun beds. Be wary if you pick a bed near a tree as they will be in the shade in the afternoon. Yes, the snack bar here is basic (chips, hot dogs, burgers) but you can leave and walk across the road to the main restaurant.

The food in the restaurant was lovely. I am a fairly fussy eater and i found food to eat every night. There is always a pasta, a fish, a meat and chips, salad etc. Kids buffet was a pasta, nuggets, chips and some thing else (normally 6 options). I was shocked by the amount of people who let their kids run around the restaurant unsupervised - one girl used the cheese tongs to stir her tomato pasta and then put them back in the cheese! The restaurant staff were lovely, smiley, friendly, helpful and efficient. not once did they rush us nor were they rude to us. The food was warm, varied and very tasty.

Drinks - now this, for me, was a small negative. Not the plastic cups (would you rather have broken glass everywhere?) - if you ordered from the main bar in reception they asked if you wanted your drinks in glass or plastic as in the restaurant you also had that option. It was the fact they only had one barman on each bar. They served 4 drinks to adults and 2 to children. Yes, the fizzy pop was cheap stuff but then imagine how much of it they get through! the kids loved it regardless. And actually, serving beer in smaller glasses hopefully means you drink more responsibly (when in charge of your children!). An improvement the hotel could make would be to put fridges containing bottles of water around the resort. There were water dispensers at all of the bars and restaurant so you could help yourself to water - we bought bottled water at the shop and refilled it.

In reception there was a corner for leaving your unwanted holiday bits - in here were buckets and spades, parasols, sun cream, inflatables, flip flops.....check it daily.

I do agree with people who have said that for older children there is not a lot to do in the evenings. There are a few pool tables and a few arcade games but not enough. They need something more - i'm not sure what, but something! The younger kids loved the mini disco and the evening entertainment was always enjoyable. The animation team were fantastic - always smiley, always enthusiastic and worked really hard.

There are a few things to spend money on (so be warned) - there are popcorn machines (2 euro), sweet machines, pringles machines, and pool table which eats your money (pop to reception and they sort it out!). in the evening, some people set up stalls outside selling laser pens, hair braids and candy floss (2.50euros). and on Tuesday and Thursday a man appears doing little shetland pony rides for 5euro each.

The beach is a 10min walk and there are some more shops, bars etc there. We had a meal out at El Pirata which is near to the little supermarket and about 2min walk from marina parc - we thoroughly recommend it there.

I do agree that the cleaners could come in more regularly - we arrived on Monday and by Friday the room hadn't been touched but i mentioned it to the rep and within 2hrs the room had been cleaned. Again, you need to ask and it will be sorted.

The first choice reps were visible, approachable and very helpful.

My final words (this has been a long review!) are about the reception staff. Some people have moaned about them on here and this is very unjust. My son lost his beloved teddy on our 4th day and the lovely young blonde spanish lady in reception was so kind and helpful and went out of her way to help us. Sadly, he hasn't been found but she has taken our address and a photo of the teddy in case it turns up. All of the reception staff waved off the coaches as they left too - you don't get that elsewhere!

I would return to Marina Parc and would definitely recommend it for people with children under 12 or if you were a group with a few teenagers who can entertain each other in the evenings.

Ignore the negatives - if people voiced their problems (in a polite way) with reception, they would be swiftly rectified.

Room Tip: The 3 bed apartment is really worth the extra money
22 Thank JoLuJa

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Polish first
Barton under Needwood, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We were v worried about the negative comments made about this place but was pleasantly surprised. It was our first two week holiday abroad with our 3 children and couldn't ask for more really. Our three bed apartment was HUGE - bigger than our house lol!! Basic but clean. Cleaners were there every other day and I had to refuse sometimes just ask for clean towels. The food was great and something for everyone. The pools were lovely and clean - particularly the one by the restaurant which is where our apartment was too. The splash park was good but two of the rides you needed to be 140cm - by 10 year old adrenaline junkie son was v disappointed!! The local animation team were excellent - worked so hard and always in character!! First choice reps were ok - approachable but not always that helpful if that makes sense! The only thing that let's this place down is the lack of town nearby to wander around at night or have a drink after dinner- otherwise cannot fault it. Would definitely come back.

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Olympia W
Haslingden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Marina Parc in July and August 2014. It was our first experience of a Splashworld hotel and we had a fantastic 2 week holiday. We stayed with 2 kids 11 & 8 and there was loads for them to do.
The hotel is very clean with rooms being cleaned every other day. The rooms are spacious but I would recommend you take extra clothes hangers as you do not get a lot in the room.
There was lots of choices for me and the kids but my wife is a coeliac and we checked before we booked with First Choice if this was catered for,. They said it was but it wasn't. She was risking the food whilst she was there as it was the only option. We have taken this up with First Choice since we have returned aswell. I would recommend you take an extra bag for food essentials like bread and biscuits.
The Hotel entertainment team were brilliant and there was loads to do if you wanted to take part in activities. The evening entertainment wasn't brilliant and we often took the time to walk to the beach after the mini disco.
The waterpark was very clean and the Splashworld host Stacey did an amazing job in running activities throughout the day. She was always on hand for a wave or a high five with the kids.
The lifeguards were strict but for the right reasons. They would not let smaller kids use the bigger rides but there are several areas for smaller children and big kids too.
We went on the trip to Mahon with First Choice and our kids did not have a lot to do on that. We spent 2 hours on the markets followed by a trip to the Gin Factory (more like a shop) and then a trip around the harbour. The trip was more for adults than kids.
All in all it was an amazing holiday but if you have older children then they may struggle to find things to do. I read negative reviews before we went and we were worried about it but it was a brilliant holiday and so much so that we have booked a Splashworld again for next year.
Good points

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very disappointed, accommodation shabby and dirty, towels grey and seen better days, restaurant hot, chaotic, food is great so long as you like chips and are easily pleased. Swimming pool dirty, bar serves warm drinks, cheap lemonade and cola all in cheap disposable beakers, queues long even longer when bar staff are not fighting, be prepared to clear your own table if you want to sit down, however the area itself is beautiful and if you really can't stand the inclusive meals there are some very good restaurants, we paid £4,000 for this.

5 Thank kevin g

Travellers are raving about these Arenal d'en Castell hotels

London
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having just returned after 7 nights at the Marina Parc I was interested to read the comment from another reviewer who commented that the owners could do more to really improve what is a genuinely good all-inclusive resort. I agree whole heartedly. Having stayed at the Club Hotel Aguamarina in late August 2013, I read my review for that posted on 4th September and to be honest I could have copied it for this resort, apart from a few subtle but important differences. Although the Water Park is far superior at the Marina Parc and the rooms are laid out across more gardens, the food, cleanliness and service comments would stand for both. The Marina Parc comprises compact rooms which are adequate and clean. The large flat screen TV had UK channels, the beds were comfortable although the fold down bed in the twin room was only just long enough for my 12 year old, there was a small fridge in the wardrobe (useful for keeping drinking water cool), there was enough hanging space (incl about 10 hangers) and shelves for all the clothes and bags, we didn't feel the need to use the safe and the stand out star of the room was the air conditioning unit that once switched on upon arrival, stayed on for our whole stay. I would maybe advise turning it off at night as we had it set to 21C and it did get cool if the sheet and blanket were not over you. The clothes dryer on the small terrace (we had ground floor opposite entrance gates to Water Park) was a welcome home for towels and shorts when we were in the apartment. I would be more than happy to stay in the rooms again but be aware that like many other hot places you should careful of bringing any food or sweet drinks into the rooms as any spillages can attract small ants. We saw a handful around the edge of the bath but nothing to concern ourselves about. The gardens and paths are more than adequate, but a couple of gardeners twice a week would improve the experience. I'm a single Dad with 12 and 8 year old boys who have travelled to Menorca for about the last ten years and we all love the sandy beaches, great restaurants and friendliness of the island. We are a little different in the fact that when my ex-wife and I first travelled with the boys we'd always stay in a villa and use the rental car to travel around the island visiting our favourite spots during the week. Now we're divorced, I've opted for cheap(er) all-inclusive resorts as I know there will always be food and drinks available without the fuss of shopping or preparing, but we still have the car and still visit all our favourite spots. Unsurprisingly there was plenty or private parking available at the resort. The reason I mention this is to give context to my review. Apart from one day which we decided to make the water park day at the hotel, we were out from about 10.30am each day until our return at about 6.30pm. I urge everyone to rent a car and explore this magnificent island. It's 28 miles long and 12 miles high and we used a full tank of fuel during the week. Getting back to the resort I'll sum up with a few points/constructive criticisms - 1) If the owners insist on staffing bars with just one barman please consider placing beer and soft drink taps on the customer side so they can help themselves and avoid the queues - 2) There's no focal point in the evening to relax unless you're watching the show (definitely for the little ones and I mean 6 downwards) or sitting on the reception terrace where the outside lighting is poor at best - 3) Pay the bar staff a bit more and get them to look like they care about their guests stay at the resort. They appeared overworked, under paid and under appreciated. The outstanding reps do their best to make this resort work but they need help from the resorts paid staff and management. 4) - Pay some gardeners to tidy up the gardens on a regular basis - 5) - The food was OK, nothing more, nothing less, just OK. It didn't put me off but it could be a lot better with a bit more variety. - 6) The WIFI coverage is good but as another reviewer mentioned, is unusable as there are so many devices trying to connect at once. (3G coverage is good there for all Euro-Traveller Vodafone customers who are happy to pay the £2 a day to use their UK voice and data allowance) - 7) A tall glass fronted fridge with free water bottles would make a welcome addition. - 8, 9 & 10) Get some more staff. This could be a superb resort with fabulous ratings but it needs some money spent on it and more effort into delivering a great service. I've rated the resort as Very Good, but it would have got a Good if the option had existed. It's not Excellent and nor is it Average. It's Good and I'd definitely go again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a twin room opening onto the garden. Remember to switch the aircon on then be prepared...
5 Thank Miller69
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just got back from our 2nd visit to Marina Parc (first choice), went with my partner and two kids (15,11).The hotel and resort is clean and tidy, the entertainment was brilliant both for the kids and adults.. The hotel staff including the cleaners, kitchen and bar staff were all friendly and very professional.We stayed in a two bed roomed apartment near the Water park and it was also clean and tidy with regular maid service.The views from the apartment of the sea and the Water park were outstanding.

The manager of the hotel and staff were very friendly and approachable and were always smiling.The animation team providing the entertainment each day and night were brilliant, The reps also were very good at both entertaining us and providing help when required. I would just like to say a big thank you also to Stacey (one of the entertainment team) for entertaining ours and other kids from dawn to dusk, my daughter Issy hopes that she will be there again next year!

The food was great and such a good selection each day, the supermarket was close and the beach within walking distance (10 mins). We had one day of bad weather bit the kids and families did not mind at all.

We will definitely be going back soon!!

4 Thank JoeJurcich
nyc
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Had an amazing 2 weeks at this hotel. 16th to 30th July, with my husband and 3 children. The food, pools, waterpark, facilities and location were all fantastic for a family holiday. The area itself is really nice with a sandy beach and lots of little bars and cafe's with live music. I felt safe letting my older kids go around the resort on their own, and there was plenty for the children to do. The staff were all very polite, and I must admit some of the holiday makers weren't very polite so tey did really well to keep cheerful and polite under such circumstances!! The best thing about the holiday however, were the AMAZING KIDS CLUB STAFF. My little boy Dylan went to he kids club and it couldn't have been better. All of the girls were friendly, affectionate, and went out of their way to make Dylan have a perfect time. The best kids club I have ever been to!! Thankyou to all the team. We have te paintings of dinosaurs and Gruffalos that you did with him on the walls at home x

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 4 in Sant Lluis
Valentin Son Bou
Valentin Son Bou
#2 of 8 in Son Bou

Been to Hotel Marina Parc? Share your experiences!