“I would say it is the worst restaurant in Tenerife... But no food in sight!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Electra Wine Bar & Tapas

Electra Wine Bar & Tapas
Ranked #19 of 61 Restaurants in Golf del Sur
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Electra Wine Bar & Tapas is an elegant restaurant in del golf del sur. It has an atmosphere full of elegance and its appropiate for any occasion. We are suitable for lunch (Under bookings) and dinners. We are a mediterranean restaurant with an ´electric´touch. You can visit us for any special moment, something romantic, between friends, family, a bussines meeting or any other type of event. You can enjoy our exterior terrace or our elegant indoor lounge which is fully air-conditioned. In our opinion, we believe that eating is not just need, but it should be a pleasure, therefor were offer ¨the pleasure of our senses¨ We appreciate your presence and we thank you with our kindness and attention dedicaded in all our plates.
London, United Kingdom
“I would say it is the worst restaurant in Tenerife... But no food in sight!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

You would be quicker flying back to the UK for dinner. Looks nice but sadly the service fell short and after 2 hours we felt it was time to move on! You don't wait for your food... You wait for them to take your order!

Never felt the need to use trip adviser before but this was the worst restaurant I've ever been in.

3 Thank Britsabroad79

“Good food but a bad taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited this restaurant without reading the reviews. I've now read the reviews and I agree with everything that has been said. Although the service is slow the food is excellent. What I didn't like was some of the slightly underhand practices. I too ordered the house wine but the owner quite firmly tried to get me to order something much more expensive. I asked "is your house wine no good then?" His answer was that it was 'not great'. I asked to try the house wine and it was lovely so we settled on that.
My friend ordered lobster tagliatelle but we queried the availability as the price had been scrubbed out. Once availability was confirmed we went ahead but did not check the price ( it was in a section where the other two meals were 13 and 15 euros so expected something similar). The meal was superb but an eye watering 29.50E when the bill arrived. I guess we should have checked. Anyway, we did not complain but tried to pay the bill.
Although the credit card signs are prominently displayed the owner said he was having trouble connecting his machine and could we pay cash. We didn't have enough so I asked if he could try the credit card. He was a bit disgruntled but tried it for me and it went through straight away without any problem.
The food was very nice but I didn't like the way we were treated so am unlikely to go back. I have a house close by so am a regular visitor and there's not very much of good quality on offer in San Blas. It's a real shame that he cannot see how his pushy behaviour makes his clients feel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank John M
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We visited Electra twice in May 2014, after stumbling across the restaurant on our way out of San Blas, as the choice of food offered within the square is basic to say the least. Having read some of the other reviews, I can only suggest that some of the reviewers prefer more basic food, served quickly. Do not go to Electra if you want fast food - this place is to be savoured! The owner, Paolo, is a very friendly and helpful person, who will explain the choices of drinks, advise on various types of wine available, and takes obvious personal price in the quality of wines he supplies, and the quality of food available, from Tapas, to Mixed Platters, and on to the most wonderful main courses you will taste in the Golf del Sur. On the first night, my wife and I shared the salmon bruschetta, which was loaded with slices of beautiful smoked salmon. I then had the Pappardella with sirloin, arugula and mascarpone flavored with truffle oil which had the most wonderful bursts of flavour throughout the meal, my wife had the Prawns marinated with garlic, chilli, fresh lime and honey, scented with coriander and basil which she thoroughly enjoyed. The next visit, we ordered the home mixed table for 2 people, which was served on a huge round serving board, which was full of various cheeses, meats, olives, pate, breads, salmon mousse, and a variety of different dips, all of which Paolo advised on the ingredients - this platter is huge, and full of beautiful tastes throughout. For the main, my wife ordered the Iberian pork Pedro-Jiménez, grapes, raisins and applesauce, again thoroughly enjoyed, which came with vegetables and a bowl of roasted Canarian potatoes, which she would not let Paolo take away at the end of the meal even though she was totally full! I went for the Tagliatelle with lobster, cherry tomatoes and oyster mushroom sauce - what can I say - this was a full lobster, prepared ready for me to get the meat (as easy as possible with lobster), with minimal mess required (although the lemon freshening wipes did come in very handy at the end of the meal!). For drinks on both nights, my wife had the house dry white wine, again lovely, and I drank a speciality Italian Pale Ale (Oppale), which although was quite expensive, was also quite exquisite - if you like craft beers, please try one of the beers served here. Paolo loves to have a chat with his customers, and is rightly very proud of his restaurant and it's offerings. You will get cheaper food served faster elsewhere, but if you want a culinary experience, then this is the place. We will be back!!!

Yorkshire
“Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We ate at Electra for the first time last evening. Over the past few years we have walked past it many times. In the early days we were confounded by a lack of menus out front, to peruse and make an informed decision from. Even the night before we had looked inside to book a table and found nobody home. Menus started to appear after a year or so and then wonder of wonders, a board was left out during closing time, describing an appetising choice of top price main courses. Thus informed we decided to finally give it a go.

Electra is fine dining, in an area that is a stranger to such a concept. We were greeted by the owner who explained his vision and placed five (FIVE !) menu cards on the table, a gin menu, a beer menu, an a-la-carte menu and two taster menus. Information overload. Though they did withhold a few things, the drinks prices for instance.

My wife chose a Blue Sapphire gin which was expertly presented and poured with great aplomb and I later found this was a 10 euro drink. It was probably worth it. I had an Italian craft beer which was 9.50 Euro. I have paid more for beer. I was in the centre of Milan looking at the Duomo church. At this point of sale I was in San Blas looking at Sunset View apartments, no real comparison. The beer was OK.

We went for the taster menu at 36 Euro a head after being assured, without asking, that the portions were ample. The "break" between courses saw to that.

First course was a goat’s cheese salad. This was excellent, the strength of the cheese made the small amount served, relative to the salad, quite justifiable. We were also presented with a dish of bread with four different types, all of which were delicious and beautiful in texture. Oh, and the ubiquitous breadsticks were in there too.

A duck carpaccio course followed which was rare, as expected and the strawberries with balsamic went well with it. After this a scallop and foie gras pate course with a lovely sauce. This used up much of the bread.

The wife and I split at this point, she, to a final pork dish with secret Spanish dressing and I, to a trio of king prawns and a shared dish of potatoes that wanted to be Canarias but were more akin to roasties with garlic and thyme. Nice though.

I did say at the start, the food was good. We were, during the whole two and a half hour meal, the only customers. This is where things went wrong. When you only have two customers all night in a fine dining establishment, things should not go wrong.

Next, the postres, a cake and a chocolate mousse. Not being a pudding person I don’t feel qualified to comment. They were puddingey enough.

Finally, the Italian confusion (did I mention its run by an Italian) with anyone who doesn’t drink coffee at the end of the meal. We don’t, tough, deal with it.

I can feel the puzzlement from the reader, what went wrong, all the food, the attention, the service. That’s just it. The food isn’t the ALL, at this price level, it is the whole experience, especially at 50+ euro a head in a 15 euro a head town.

When we refused coffee for the second time we asked for the bill, which was as we expected. What I didn’t expect in a top end restaurant displaying a Visa sign was to be told that “there was a problem” and did I perhaps have cash. Of course he wanted cash, we were all the customers he had all night, why would he want to pay a visa charge.

As it happens, unusually, I did have the cash, so I paid it and left, no tip and no goodbye. Annoyed and deflated.

I may eat at Electra again but my first question will not be “do you have a table” it will be “is your visa account up to date”

He had a responsibility to tell me before I ordered about the Visa problem and spoiled an expensive but great dining experience by being less than honest. That is why this is not a five star review. As I said, the food was great.

Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Good main course - disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Electra was directly opposite our apartment at Sunset View Club and it looked very enticing.
It is obvious from brief conversations with other diners (English and German) that the restaurant has a devoted following but we left at the end of the meal annoyed and frustrated at the poor service while waiting for deserts on a night which would never be described as "busy".
On ordering our drinks we were told about the lack of waitress but .... the fish we ordered was fantastic; well cooked and presented but things went downhill from then on. Waiting nearly 50 minutes for 2 basic deserts when there were no more than 4 other diners is not acceptable - had my wife not asked about the deserts I suspect we would still be waiting!!!
No apology or explanation so we paid and left. Didn't go back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles