Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Finestrat
Reviewed 2 September 2014

After our evening meal this evening we decided to have our sweet in the lounge area near the restaurant with a coffee as they did not serve coffee in the restaurant. As we went out of the restaurant to go to the lounge we were promptly stopped and told that this was not allowed,we said that we were only going to the lounge and would be buying a coffee as we preferred to have our sweet with a coffee and they did not serve coffee in the restaurant. Well apparently this was against the rules and not allowed and if we persisted in doing this we would be charged which is normally part of the dinner. The assistant manager was called and he still insisted this was the ruling and they did not relent. I found this reaction to be completely ludicrous especially as we paid over £2000 to stay here for the week, he even implied we should go down the road to Benidorm. This rule I found completely pointless, silly and petty.

Room Tip: Our room. Deluxe superior, and high up
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Debbie S

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I swear, that Barceló went over to Thailand or Bali (somewhere we have been) and picked up a hotel grounds and all and transported it over to Spain and planted it there. It truly is a most enchanting place and one now found we will return to again and again (especially as we only live about 150 kms away), what a find.
I have only been stirred to write about one other place, but this trip we have just been on was just so perfect I have to write and compliment Barceló and of course in turn everyone at the Asia Gardens for one of the most enjoyable stays at a hotel my wife and I have ever had.
There are a lot of things that people have already touched on but I will try to be as brief as I can.
It's location if you want Benidorm and all its entertainment is a little far out to be called convenient, but on the flip side if you are looking at this hotel as a hideaway then to be sure it has that covered. It is set on the hillside just outside Benidorm, a 15 Euro taxi ride or 10 minutes by car, I wouldn't consider walking.
The hotel gives you the air of total security. In fact you cant get past the gatehouse without a reservation or appointment, but that just makes you feel special anyway. You get cooling towels on arrival along with a refreshing drink whilst you check in. That was flawless and the staff on reception were beautifully dressed (as I suppose you may expect) in Thai style.
The rooms were lovely. We had a sea view room but next time I would opt for a garden or pool room as the gardens and pool area just deserved to be viewed at leisure and must make a wonderful backdrop in the evenings, before dinner. The rooms are very well equipped, no loose wiring here, oh no. I saw many engineers doing remedial works on rooms etc keeping them up to spec, our room was flawless, lovely bath, great walk in shower, his and hers sinks and very very nice linen.
They do supply robes and slippers but I am a fairly big guy and they didn't fit me, I honestly wouldn't have bothered with them, but its a point to note, not all people are mid size. I bet if I had asked though a larger robe would have been made available.
Do take a kettle with you if you like a very early drink though, well stocked fridge/mini bar. Great TV with several UK channels, so all was good.
The breakfasts were something else, self service but what a selection. Chef on station cooking fresh omelettes etc. Delicious fresh orange. 5*
Evening meals were superb too. We had the 1/2 board option and that was fantastic, the house wine was great but there was as you would expect an extensive wine list. I recommend also the Thai restaurant (they have at least 5 differently themed restaurants) as the food was just the loveliest, it was everything I wanted and more.
The grounds are a photographers paradise. Everywhere you look there is a new photo to take. 7 pools with huge stone carvings and waterfalls. Pools with coy carp linked by streams to further tropical areas. Huge palms and the variety of tropical plants was just overwhelming, the scent from the jasmine everywhere was heaven.
My wife took a Spa and a Thai massage and she remarked on her return just how tranquil and efficiently peaceful it was, she said it was the best Spa she had ever had, so there.
I suppose that just leaves the staff to mention and I suppose it is a case of last is best because they were. This place is run to such exacting service standards at times I wondered just how they did things. We went to dinner and they knew us before we had uttered a word. The hospitality and the friendliness of the staff is efficiently impeccable, it wasn't patronising in any way, to be honest their servility was absolutely genuine. Everyone from management, through people on reception, guest relations, waiters and waitresses, cleaners, gardeners, everyone gave us the time of day, smiles, and it just made you feel really really special.
It was my wife's birthday whilst we were there and on our return to our room that day she was given a selection of wonderful chocolates, just because, no fuss no ado, just simply, have a nice day today, from the hotel. Now that to me spoke volumes.
So well done Barceló Asia Gardens from my wife and I, we will revisit, I promise and I was so pleased I could voice this on your behalf

Room Tip: The wifi in the room is not great I have to say and so they placed a wireless router in our room, so...
2  Thank Nigelp4
AsiaGardens, Gerente at Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear "Nigel P",

Writing on behalf and representation of the entire team, I just have thankful words after receiving such a nice comment and in return I assure you bearing in mind your words, we are already working not to stay back but offering our guests the best service ever.

Therefore, in Barcelo Asia Gardens we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon and offering you new sensations that surely will continue surprising you..

Yours sincerely,

Deputy Manager

PS: Please allow me to inform you that we do have kettels, upon request. All you need is asking to our reception team or guest relations.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

totally surprised by this 5 Star Resort, Service and Kitchen,
No complains at all, starts by the breakfast, lunch at the pool or the diner in the buffet restaurant or n-joy the a la carte Restaurant you feel like in the heaven of fine food.
don't forget to use the spa and the perfection of massage treatments.

Room Tip: all of them are great
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear "JAUrlaub",

First of all would like to, in the same way you did, on public, to thank you for your kind comment which gives the team the motivation and strength to keep on working hard towards getting your satisfaction.

What we like the most is to know that you enjoyed everything you tried in Barceló Asia Gardens, from our facilities to our service and of course our gastronomy...

Now,we really look forward to welcoming you back in order to keep on offering you much more of what Asia Gardens hides...

Yours Sincerely,

Deputy manager

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Lovely resort, gorgeous surroundings. The food in the main restaurant- breakfast and buffet dinner- was varied and quite extensive. However the "hot food" of the main buffet was almost always cold; the accompanying sauces often having formed a skin on the top. If you are lucky enough to want something that is raw and requires cooking by the chef, that is the best way of guaranteeing hot food. Shame because otherwise the selection and food itself was very good. But cold steak/ fish/ chicken/ baked beans is not good and in a hotel of this calibre I certainly expect more in the way if keeping a buffet hot.

The pools and services are in lovely surroundings and the atmosphere is relaxing. We had one very friendly and attentive waiter by the pool. Most of the others unfortunately were slow in their responses and it took ages to get acknowledged.

Though for the most part we enjoyed our stay, most of that was down to the pleasure of the setting and the lovely weather. A huge problem was the language barrier. This is very much a hotel for locals and short breaks. Most of the staff are Spanish and the level of English is poor to mediocre at best.

We asked for a "high ball" 4 times and despite discussing that sprite would be fine, and re-emphasising that we wanted it with whiskey, we still got brought just a sprite. And that was after waiting over 15 mins for 4 drinks; my Mum then had to wait another 15 to get the correct drink.

When our toddler had an accident on the bed in the afternoon (from drinking so much water!) we called reception and asked that the sheets be changed. 3 hours later we came back and it wasn't done, so I had to call again. Then an hour later we were brought a basket with my son's shorts in; rather than change the sheets they had laundered his shorts that my Mum had already washed! And charged us of course.

The best was when I asked if we could book another restaurant and still use our half board. By this point I was a little fed up of the cold buffet and fancied a change. The lady explained that we could use our half board elsewhere; we would get 30 euros per person towards it & half that for the little one. So we went to dinner at Palapa beach bar. And I have to say the meal was awful. The menu is limited and unimaginitive. My starter of croquets was cold and tasted funny. My son's bolognese was tasteless and didn't taste of real meat. My Dad had veal which was tough and inedible so got sent back. We were so put off we didn't have desert or coffee or anything. Then the best part came when it was time to pay the bill. The 30 euros per person that I had been told was our allowance due to having paid for half board, was apparently what we had to pay each as an extra, for the pleasure of eating at this restaurant! My arguing that I had asked about this specifically beforehand fell on deaf ears; again the language barrier was an issue. We actually ended up paying more than what we actually ordered/ ate, on top of what we paid for half board. In the end I gave up- even though I was furious at the principal of it- because they just did not get what I was saying.

Overall there is no doubt that this is a lovely place to stay for a short break. But do not expect gourmet food or great service and if English is your language, be prepared to feel frustrated.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank TanyaDes
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The gardens and pools were very well maintained. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. The way the hotel was arranged made it very private and great for exploring. Very peaceful.

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
AsiaGardens, Gerente at Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear "David W",

First of all and on behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for chosen us to pass some of your valuable and precious spare time. We know it is nowadays very dificult for travelers to choose among all the flood of offers, however it is also very comforting and motivating to know that you have appreciated what we sell, which is exactly that: peace and quiet in this time of stress, bustle and rush...

We are happy to tell you that we are looking forward to welcoming you back pretty soon and then you can keep on enjoying life on its simplest way here at Barcelo Asia Gardens.

Yours sincerely,

Deputy Director

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This Thursday my wife and I booked a last minute Fri-Mon stay at the Barcelo Asian gardens, even after reading the slightly mixed reviews. Our experience was great - 4.5 stars. Here's an overview with a pro/con and tips:

Overview
The Asian Gardens is 15 minutes (drive) from the city of Benidorm - a good sized resort town surrounded by small mountains. The property is a series of 8 4-story buildings that I learned was built 5 years ago. There's a large elevation change from the main building to the bottom pools, so great views, and even though there must be 3-400 rooms the buildings are quite hidden.

Excellent
Facility - The huge restaurant/pool area is a series of meandering pathways within incredibly landscaping. Nobody would disagree the setup is stunning.
Rooms - Super high standard with huge beds and nice bathrooms. Our room was slightly larger with a small sitting area - I peaked in the standard deluxe room and is was large anyway.
Food - The buffet breakfast is on par with a nice cruise (yummy) and there are two evening restaurants which are higher end with nice ambiance.
Management - I reached out to Paul/Pablo who responds to the TA reviews to relate my below 'needs improvement' points. He was extremely nice and responsive - if you have any problems get in touch with him.

Could be improved
Shuttle - it's slightly annoying there's no shuttle to Benidorm - a €15 taxi is required.
Essentials - There's no small 'essentials' shop with lotion, sunglasses, etc. DON'T walk to the 'nearby' shopping mall like we did - it's 30 minutes.
Service - It's good with friendly staff, but not awesome. Comparable to a nice Hyatt not a 4 Seasons. We waited 50 min for our room - comped drink or similar would have been nice. A few other small things, but nothing out of the ordinary for a large resort during peak season.
Price - The food and drinks are the on the high end even for a resort. £18 for a decent sized caprese salad and €9 for a mojito. Not unreasonable, but limited really affordable options.
Kids - There were a lot of them during our stay, I'd say 60% of guests had them. Perfectly fine, however the adults-only swim area only holds a small portion of the demand - only 30 or so.
Wifi - most of the time it was comparable to 56k - fine for emails but you'll drop for example video calls.

Tips
Walk - There's a nice housing development just outside the resort gates with mansions on the top... it's worth an evening walk. There's also a trail leading up the mountain that looked cool
VIP - The suites can access a hidden pool area, worth the upgrade if you can afford it. When I gave Paul the above feedback he gave us access (really nice). Would be worth €50/day, not sure why they don't offer it for extra charge.
Sunbeds - At peak season it's tough to find one. By 10am almost 50% of the beds will be 'reserved' by those eating breakfast (even though that's not allowed). I'm told the staff can pull out more, so don't wander around - just ask. Or maybe Paul will give you VIP access :)
Exercise - the workout room is actually decent. Could use a few more machines but definitely worth bringing your gear.

My wife and I really liked the Barcelo Asia Gardens and would consider coming back. It was overall a very good experience, just short of excellent - but surely we'd recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: The top floor facing the ocean have the best view. Suites have VIP pool access - worth it if you can...
4  Thank atshannon1
AsiaGardens, Gerente at Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear "atshannon1",

First of all I would like to say there is nothing I could do to make your stay wonderfull without the whole team supporting me and then, we do appreciate you decided to leave your impressions on public so that others can take their decission about coming over without hesitation and doubts.

Concerning your tips, which we discussed, I can tell you we´ll take them into serious consideration and if apporpriate, we´ll introduce them in our services.

Nevertheless, we are glad you had a great time and we are really looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

A very enjoyable week for a family holiday. We had a suite with adjoining room which was superb, huge amount of space, wonderful bathroom and very comfortable bed.
This have us access to a separate pool which was very nice and the pool team were very helpful.
We stayed half board which is recommended. You then can pay a small supplement to eat at the non-buffet restaurants which were superb.
Only thing that could be improved is the standard of information on the website and then at the hotel. There is so much good to know but it is not easy to find out (like the restaurant upgrades).
Would definitely go back, a little paradise within sight of the towers of Benidorm!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Jeremy H
AsiaGardens, Gerente at Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear "Jeremy H",

On behalf of the entire team, I specialy thank you for the fact that you have published your opinion about your recent stay in our hotel.

Please be assured that we will study the best way to give all possible information through our website.

Taking your word, we look forward to welcoming you back to Barcelo Asia Gardens.

Paul Canca
Deputy Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Finestrat
Hotel Bonalba
#1 of 5 in Villajoyosa
Grand Luxor Hotel
Grand Luxor Hotel
#52 of 192 in Benidorm

Been to Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel? Share your experiences!