My wife and I arrived on June 4th 2011 and were met by the driver of the un-air conditioned van. We were driven 20 minutes to the marina and taken to St. George's Caye by boat, approx 20 minute boat ride. Upon arrival we were me by the greeting crew and given a cold fruit punch while we were shown around the small 12 cabana resort. Once we checked in we were shown to our cabana (#9) facing away from Belize. We walked into our room to escape the heat but found it even hotter in the room since the very small window A/C had been turned off and the windows were open. By this time I had several insect bites around my ankles and on my arms. We closed the windows and turned on the A/C (this a/c is an 8000 BTU unit that is sized for a small room around 9x13, with 8 foot ceilings), yet this room was a good 15 foot square with a 15 foot high thatched roof.. The room looked very nice you could see the cathedral ceiling with all the thatch and several holes to the outside measuring a good 6 inches in diameter, lol, I thought how in the heck can this place be sealed from the bugs and much worse how will it be cooled. We over the next week our room never got below 80 deg F during the night and averaged around 85 during the day, and the bugs ate us alive both out and about as well at night even though we were using bug repellent. We arrived just in time for our first dinner with the other 5 guests already at the resort. The meals are pre-planned, no choices and you have set times to eat, if you miss these times you are out of luck. There are no other restaurants, grills, stores or deli's on this small island and they will NOT fix anything out of the set meal times. You have no access to food unless you pay the resort $75.00/ person to take the boat ride back into Belize City for some shopping. The meals were okay, not the best and small portions, good if you want to loose weight while on vacation. The seating is around a large table so you have no privacy and are forced to share your vacation with the other guests, thank God the other guests were great, otherwise it would have been a long week (we did forge friendships that will last a life time, I hope). The overall staff was great. The manager "Barry" and Owner "Ron" never said a word, they just walked around like they were so much better then their guests staying at their resort. I was thankful for the following Saturday to arrive, I was tired from not sleeping well in the heat, My wife and I were covered with bug bites and I was hungry. We do not drink alcohol but yet when we checked out of the ALL INCLUSIVE resort we had a bar tab for $56.00 for the several small fruit juices we received while waiting for the dinner to begin each evening. This is an insect haven and one can not escape the heat or bugs during the entire stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. George’s Caye Resort is a secluded paradise located on a private residence island just seven miles from Belize City. Accessible only by boat, St. George’s Caye feels miles away from everyday life thanks to its cozy cabanas, breathtaking views of the Caribbean, and the highest level of service in Belize. Divers, anglers and those looking to just get away from it all will find everything they desire at St. George’s Caye Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your St. George's Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. George`s Caye Hotel St. George`s Caye
- St Georges Caye Hotel
- St. George's Caye Resort Belize/Belize Cayes